Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chiefs Game A Humbling Reality Check
Anthony Munoz on TV said it best. " If Bengals took one step forward against Tampa they took 2 steps back tonight ". Munoz and other announcer made Bengals 2 kickers the players of the game, but added that isn't good for the rest of the team when the kickers are the players of the game. .....I value Hall Of Fame Anthony Munoz opinion on if Bengals play good or bad. This game was bad. They got killed in the trenches all night. Chiefs offense moved through our defense all night long pretty easy. On the other side, our O Line didn't finish blocks. The D didn't finish tackles and the O Line didn't finish blocks. Andre Smith playing late in the game. Is he not living up to the hype coming back ? Again, Munoz said all these guys are big, buy they need to put a body on people and block.

That's the bad news.....The good news is it was only preseason game 2. Hopefully they look better in preseason game 3 when teams really go at it as much like regular season as a preseason game gets. The Defense has looked bad in both games and that for a few years has been our strength. The O Line took a step back also. Hopefully the next game they show they aren't as bad as last night.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I am worried they look ok to me on offense but that defense looks slow, unethused if that is a word, and quite frankly old. We're is the speed? We're is the pass rush? We're is the press? I just don't get what the substitute teacher is doing and I hate to say this but I don't think the players respect him.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Regardless if the team had looked good, then what? You have a 15 year coach who still can't call a time out with time on the clock. Can anyone name a worse clock management coach???? He is a joke. Also, how does a coach that looks like an out of shape slob every year inspire and demand discipline? I've never understood that.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 02:21 AM)J24 Wrote: I am worried they look ok to me on offense but that defense looks slow, unethused if that is a word, and quite frankly old. We're is the speed? We're is the pass rush? We're is the press? I just don't get what the substitute teacher is doing and I hate to say this but I don't think the players respect him.

A huge part of the problem with these first few games is the 2 handed touch they play in training camp. They aren't used to tackling or playing hard...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Didn't watch the game because it's the pre-season. Regardless of whether we're a good team or not, anything we "learn" from pre-season games is essentially meaningless, especially past the first possession.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 02:35 AM)Synric Wrote: A huge part of the problem with these first few games is the 2 handed touch they play in training camp. They aren't used to tackling or playing hard...

See I'm sorry but I have to disagree with this. It's football, they been playing their whole life, they shouldn't need to tackle in practice to remember how to do something so basic. You don't keep falling off a bike because you haven't rode one in a while. It was poor angles, poor technique not wrapping up. This was just piss poor tackling and coaching either failing to teach the basics (which these guys should know already)or players just flat out sucking.

I get what your saying about practice maybe being too soft, but when it comes to game time even more so a pre season game to prove you deserve a job, there's no excuse to look this bad at the basics of the game.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 02:57 AM)TKUHL Wrote: See I'm sorry but I have to disagree with this. It's football, they been playing their whole life, they shouldn't need to tackle in practice to remember how to do something so basic. You don't keep falling off a bike because you haven't rode one in a while. It was poor angles, poor technique not wrapping up. This was just piss poor tackling and coaching either failing to teach the basics (which these guys should know already)or players just flat out sucking.

I get what your saying about practice maybe being too soft, but when it comes to game time even more so a pre season game to prove you deserve a job, there's no excuse to look this bad at the basics of the game.

That's the thing when you're pulling your punches you aren't practicing tackling. Hitting a sled isn't the same as hitting someone trying to run through or around you. Especially when the coaches yell at them for hitting to hard for fear of injuries. A part of the preseason to get everyone used to hitting and being hit before the regular season starts...Live Action.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 03:07 AM)Synric Wrote: That's the thing when you're pulling your punches you aren't practicing tackling. Hitting a sled isn't the same as hitting someone trying to run through or around you. A part of the preseason to get everyone used to hitting and being hit before the regular season starts...Live action.

I get what your saying, like i posted in another thread, if they start practicing tackling this week we will probably end up with 2 guys on IR. I hope not. But it frustrates the hell out of me seeing players miss tackles. It has to drive the coaches nuts too. I hate seeing a guy run in and just dive head first with his arms to his side like a damn yard dart trying to tackle. I call it the Monty Python tackle cause it looks so silly. Tory James was bad at that. Where the hell are these guys getting this from. Maybe it is from just hitting a sled. I have 0 faith in this DC, well all of them for that matter. We are finally going to see the end of Lewis only to be replaced by one of these knuckle heads. When Marvin goes they need to clean house, if not then whats the point when you have coordinators that cant even teach or demand the basics of the game. 

Damn kinda went on a rant there, sorry too many drinks tonight.
Reply/Quote
I'll tell you what. It's hard to suck that hard and blow chunks at the same time, but that's about what we did tonight.

I was at the stadium, and it was just a listless, lethargic performance, including Marvin.

It was so damn bad, you'd have thought it was a playoff game.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 03:39 AM)Thundercloud Wrote: I'll tell you what.  It's hard to suck that hard and blow chunks at the same time, but that's about what we did tonight.

I was at the stadium, and it was just a listless, lethargic performance, including Marvin.

It was so damn bad, you'd have thought it was a playoff game.

LMAO! Nice one. Between the players tonight and Marvins clock management/Challenges nobody can say were not in playoff form already.
Reply/Quote
And one more thing. I think Michael Johnson retired, and forgot to tell anybody.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 02:41 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Didn't watch the game because it's the pre-season. Regardless of whether we're a good team or not, anything we "learn" from pre-season games is essentially meaningless, especially past the first possession.

Anthony Munoz comments don't match yours.  ...Super Bowl Champions saying it all started back it training camps and preseason don't match your comments that this is all meaningless.  ....Munoz and other announcer said Chiefs " opened a big giant can on Bengals "   They did not say whip as on TV...I guess it's easy to say after a total thumping that the game meant nothing.  Plus you say you didn't watch the game, so you didn't see the total domination by Chiefs.    The Bengals were not a good team last year.  The Bengals Offensive Line is rated the worst in NFL by most media going into season. This team isn't ready to open the season with Baltimore. Hopefully they get more reps and start blocking and tackling and do get get ready for Baltimore. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 04:05 AM)kevin Wrote: Anthony Munoz comments don't match yours.  ...Super Bowl Champions saying it all started back it training camps and preseason don't match your comments that this is all meaningless.  ....Munoz and other announcer said Chiefs " opened a big giant can on Bengals "   They did not say whip as on TV...I guess it's easy to say after a total thumping that the game meant nothing.  Plus you say you didn't watch the game, so you didn't see the total domination by Chiefs.    The Bengals were not a good team last year.  The Bengals Offensive Line is rated the worst in NFL by most media going into season. This team isn't ready to open the season with Baltimore. Hopefully they get more reps and start blocking and tackling and do get get ready for Baltimore. 

Not saying this year's Bengals will be good (I don't think they will be particularly good, you can't trot out that OL and expect good results) but that said...

The Lions were 4-0 in the preseason the year they went 0-16.
The Colts were 1-3 in the preseason the year they won the SB.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I've seen this team play great in preseason, then be bad in regular season. I've seen them be bad in pre season, and be great in regular season. I don't put any meaning to it. I never do. I just watch the younger guys, and pray to God nobody gets injured.

Watching even the starters play, everyone is half assing it. I don't put any meaning into these games. I really don't.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
Last few seasons...I wouldn't worry, and never do.

1-3 Pre 6-9-1 Regular
2-2 Pre 12-4 Regular
2-2 Pre 10-5-1 Regular
3-1 Pre 11-5

Reply/Quote
McCarron comes out at end of first half to drive down the field with one min left and two time outs. The very first play called was a run play. Nothing has changed they was a few real bad play calls like that all night. Coaching is our issue they got the talented players.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 06:00 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: McCarron comes out at end of first half to drive down the field with one min left and two time outs. The very first play called was a run play. Nothing has changed they was a few real bad play calls like that all night. Coaching is our issue they got the talented players.

...and yet we drove down and scored s time expired. You know folks are reaching when they complain about that. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 06:17 AM)bfine32 Wrote: ...and yet we drove down and scored s time expired. You know folks are reaching when they complain about that. 

We scored a field goal...We have no problems scoring field goal we have issues scoring touchdowns.
Reply/Quote
Pretty pathetic effort across the board. Team looked like they would rather be watching Big Brother re-runs.

MJ, Gilberry, and Pat Sims started again, and were awful, again.

Will Clarke looked worse than MJ, and I didn't think that was possible.

Mixon was either told to stay inside, or he couldn't see that there was nothing in front of him and he had clear skies outside and has the speed to get there.

AJ Green dropped an easy first down that would have put them around the 20 yard line.

Dalton had guys in his face all night, and rather than have an outlet receiver, they had the TEs in blocking the whole time. And it still didn't help. Combine that with the fact that LaFell and Boyd generated zero separation. Boyd had a couple long completions on broken plays, so at least he kept working.

Dumbass Marv had 11 seconds before the half, the play stopped at the 7 yard line, and one time out. He waited until the clock was at 3 seconds and called time out, and the ref gave one second back, so 4 seconds. The entire bleeping stadium was screaming to call time out...If he wanted to get a kicker a situational shot, he is dumber than dumb. A better situational play is: You have no more time outs, 11 seconds, at the 7 yard line. Run one play, it must go in the end zone, and you can't take a sack. Simple, to almost everyone else on the planet. God, does he anger me at times.

The good: Vigil played probably his best football in stripes. Smith and Willis continue to burn people on the edge. The kickers made all their kicks and the kickoffs weren't returnable. There weren't many injuries. That's it.

Overall, I take it with a grain of salt. The Chiefs got pounded on the ground by the 49ers in week 1 and they showed up with some purpose. I think we will see a Bengal team with a bit more energy against the skins.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 07:48 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Pretty pathetic effort across the board.  Team looked like they would rather be watching Big Brother re-runs.

MJ, Gilberry, and Pat Sims started again, and were awful, again.

Will Clarke looked worse than MJ, and I didn't think that was possible.

Mixon was either told to stay inside, or he couldn't see that there was nothing in front of him and he had clear skies outside and has the speed to get there.

AJ Green dropped an easy first down that would have put them around the 20 yard line.

Dalton had guys in his face all night, and rather than have an outlet receiver, they had the TEs in blocking the whole time. And it still didn't help. Combine that with the fact that LaFell and Boyd generated zero separation.  Boyd had a couple long completions on broken plays, so at least he kept working.

Dumbass Marv had 11 seconds before the half, the play stopped at the 7 yard line, and one time out.  He waited until the clock was at 3 seconds and called time out, and the ref gave one second back, so 4 seconds.  The entire bleeping stadium was screaming to call time out...If he wanted to get a kicker a situational shot, he is dumber than dumb.  A better situational play is:  You have no more time outs, 11 seconds, at the 7 yard line.  Run one play, it must go in the end zone, and you can't take a sack.  Simple, to almost everyone else on the planet.  God, does he anger me at times.

The good:  Vigil played probably his best football in stripes.  Smith and Willis continue to burn people on the edge.  The kickers made all their kicks and the kickoffs weren't returnable.  There weren't many injuries.  That's it.

Overall, I take it with a grain of salt.  The Chiefs got pounded on the ground by the 49ers in week 1 and they showed up with some purpose.  I think we will see a Bengal team with a bit more energy against the skins.

How I feel. Great post. 

Like I said, I'm not going to buy too much into this performance. 

Reply/Quote