Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chiefs Game A Humbling Reality Check
(08-20-2017, 01:12 PM)kevin Wrote: Funny, I see other NFL teams in preseason Tackling and Blocking.  ....If The Bengals can not Block and Tackle in 2017, it will be a 4 win season or worse.....The Chiefs did block and tackle last night and dominated the Bengals up and down the field all night long.  As announcers said, Chiefs opened a big giant can of whip as on the Bengals. ...I have no problem with play-calling in preseason because I know that no teams call plays like in regular season. That they will go on 4th down more and call runs or passes depending on wanting to take a look at someone trying to make the team.  ...So preseason play calling doesn't concern me....The Bengals not being able to Block or Tackle is a huge concern. They are getting beat in the trenches. They are getting beat on the Offensive Line.  They are getting beat on the Defensive Line. They are getting beat at Linebacker. They are getting beat in the Defensive Secondary.  The Defense does get near the ball, but they do not make tackles as offenses run right past them.  PRESEASON GAME 3 is a dry run for NFL Teams.  It is the Preseason Game the starters go all out to get ready for regular season. Preseason Game 4 is meaningless, the worst of all preseason games. NFL has tried to cancel this game due to lack of effort by all teams so close to season.  PRESEASON GAME 3 coming up, THE BENGALS have to Block and Tackle better in this one.  If they can't Block and Tackle in Preseason Game 3, they are not ready for game 2 weeks later in Season Opener against Division Baltimore.

So far, I'm not seeing players stepping up to replace Peko and Maualuga on Defense or Zeitler and Whitworth on Offense.   Somebody in Preseason better start stepping up.  This team needs to Block and Tackle in Preseason Game 3.  I don't care about preseason game 4, nobody does.  This team needs to Block and Tackle in Preseason Game 3, they really do because games with Baltimore and Houston a few days later are only a few weeks away.  This team needs to get with it and Block and Tackle in Preseason Week 3 before teams bench all the starters in preseason week 4.  

Maybe some of you do not see an urgency for the Bengals to step it up in preseason,  so on this we will disagree because I see a huge urgency for this team to Block and Tackle much better in the next game. A repeat of last night in the next game to me means this team can't Block or Tackle. A team that can not Block or Tackle CAN NOT win.......I still say that IF this team CAN Block and Tackle, it has the finesse players to go Super Bowl. ..The O Line Coach and the Defensive Coaches better GET AT IT this week in practice. Time is running out quickly to prepare for BALTIMORE RAVENS opener.

Agreed Kevin,

I see people saying coach them up, fixing the mistakes, etc. A poster in another thread posted words to the effect of "it's an exhibition game for a reason"

They're called professional football players for a reason as well ! Let's not pretend these players are in the 7th grade with a lot of coaching up needed. The fundamentals should have bee learned a long time ago.

What matters about getting your @$$ handed to you like this is the basics, the fundamentals, and we're not executing them at all. You can't just flip a switch in a couple weeks and say ok guys let's play now !

You are how you practice
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 02:17 AM)kevin Wrote: Anthony Munoz on TV said it best. " If Bengals took one step forward against Tampa they took 2 steps back tonight ".   Munoz and other announcer made Bengals 2 kickers the players of the game, but added that isn't good for the rest of the team when the kickers are the players of the game. .....I value Hall Of Fame Anthony Munoz opinion on if Bengals play good or bad. This game was bad.  They got killed in the trenches all night. Chiefs offense moved through our defense all night long pretty easy.  On the other side, our O Line didn't finish blocks. The D didn't finish tackles and the O Line didn't finish blocks.  Andre Smith playing late in the game. Is he not living up to the hype coming back ?  Again, Munoz said all these guys are big, buy they need to put a body on people and block.

That's the bad news.....The good news is it was only preseason game 2.  Hopefully they look better in preseason game 3 when teams really go at it  as much like regular season as a preseason game gets.  The Defense has looked bad in both games and that for a few years has been our strength. The O Line took a step back also.  Hopefully the next game they show they aren't as bad as last night.
But, they will be up against mostly first team players for the first half. I don't have a good feeling about the Oline and not just the subpar tackles.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 02:35 AM)Synric Wrote: A huge part of the problem with these first few games is the 2 handed touch they play in training camp. They aren't used to tackling or playing hard...
What about the Chiefs? Did they just patty cake in training camp like the Bengals? I doubt it. I thought pro athletes were expected to come into preseason practice in top football shape. If the HC doesn't, I doubt the players do either. The saga continues...
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 04:05 AM)kevin Wrote: Anthony Munoz comments don't match yours.  ...Super Bowl Champions saying it all started back it training camps and preseason don't match your comments that this is all meaningless.  ....Munoz and other announcer said Chiefs " opened a big giant can on Bengals "   They did not say whip as on TV...I guess it's easy to say after a total thumping that the game meant nothing.  Plus you say you didn't watch the game, so you didn't see the total domination by Chiefs.    The Bengals were not a good team last year.  The Bengals Offensive Line is rated the worst in NFL by most media going into season. This team isn't ready to open the season with Baltimore. Hopefully they get more reps and start blocking and tackling and do get get ready for Baltimore. 
I have the game set to record and watch on Monday. But, since I don't think there is anything worth watching, have decided to cancel the DVR recording.
Reply/Quote
I will add that my mood on this site is still HOPEFUL...and In baseball a pitcher always has one bad outing in Spring, it's expected. So last nights bad outing is just fine as long as they do play better next game. ....HOPEFUL.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 04:05 AM)kevin Wrote: Anthony Munoz comments don't match yours.  ...Super Bowl Champions saying it all started back it training camps and preseason don't match your comments that this is all meaningless.  ....Munoz and other announcer said Chiefs " opened a big giant can on Bengals "   They did not say whip as on TV...I guess it's easy to say after a total thumping that the game meant nothing.  Plus you say you didn't watch the game, so you didn't see the total domination by Chiefs.    The Bengals were not a good team last year.  The Bengals Offensive Line is rated the worst in NFL by most media going into season. This team isn't ready to open the season with Baltimore. Hopefully they get more reps and start blocking and tackling and do get get ready for Baltimore. 

If we did fantastically, it would still be meaningless.

You forget that Anthony Munoz is on TV.

Talking about a game that the people paying him want people to watch.

A game that they know not as many people care about precisely because it's meaningless.

Come on.

You know this already.

We may be a bad team, but the pre-season is not going to be an indicator of that. There are plenty of teams every year that are awful in the pre-season and do fine in the regular season.

There are also plenty of teams that do well in the pre-season and then are terrible teams in the regular season.

There's a reason everyone is calling for fewer pre-season games.

Because they suck.

Watching Jeff Driskel juke players that are about to be cut does not equal quality programming.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 02:49 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agreed Kevin,

I see people saying coach them up, fixing the mistakes, etc. A poster in another thread posted words to the effect of "it's an exhibition game for a reason"

They're called professional football players for a reason as well ! Let's not pretend these players are in the 7th grade with a lot of coaching up needed. The fundamentals should have bee learned a long time ago.

What matters about getting your @$$ handed to you like this is the basics, the fundamentals, and we're not executing them at all. You can't just flip a switch in a couple weeks and say ok guys let's play now !

You are how you practice

When is the last time that the Bengals have fielded a fundamentally sound team?

It's part of the reason we lose in primetime. All the sudden, we can't block or tackle.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 10:05 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: The game is won and lost in the trenches and we lost big time on both sides of the ball. We all worried about the OL and tonight we saw it again, many things to worry about with the OL. But I thought our defense could be dominant because of our DL and our DL looks crappy. That worries me because if we don't have a great defense, we will be an 8-8 type team.

I think the defensive line will be fine once Pat Sims and MJ are shown the door, or at least the bench.  And honestly, Dunlap hasn't shown much this year either.  I don't need him to be terrorizing folks, but getting even an ounce of the pressure that Smith, Willis, and Lawson are generating would be nice.

I think once a speed outside rusher is on that right side, it will make a big difference.  

The Chiefs defense, however, did exactly what I would have hoped we would do which is crowd the line of scrimmage and say "ok, you will have about a second...let's see if you can beat our DBs in that time.  Only AJ Green could.  The TEs might have well not even taken the field.  Not only did they not go out for any passes, they sure don't block well when they stay in.  Complete waste of talent, IMHO.  

The bottom line is:  The Bengals STILL have no answer to a team that goes maximum protection (although I think Willis, Smith, and Lawson will be a big part of this) and when the Bengals go maximum protection, the opposition has to love it because we STILL can't block them.  
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 10:20 AM)jj22 Wrote: Along with Vigil, I thought Jackson shut down his side of the field, and Fej looks like he can take over for Williams.

Good point, forgot to mention WJIII, and Fej, well...that goes without saying (man crush).   LMAO
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 02:35 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Regardless if the team had looked good, then what? You have a 15 year coach who still can't call a time out with time on the clock. Can anyone name a worse clock management coach???? He is a joke. Also, how does a coach that looks like an out of shape slob every year inspire and demand discipline? I've never understood that.

ya he has no problem burning time outs in the 1st and 3 rd quarter.  We never need them anyway in the 2nd and 4th. You cant take them with you.
circleville guy.  You can't blame Marvin.  He is not use to having any time outs left in the 2nd quarter.
Reply/Quote