Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chill out Marvin has gotten fired
Mike is allowing Marvin to save face making it "his" decision. As far as in house hire its all speculation. If Tobin leaves then it's time to panic
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2017, 01:00 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Mike is allowing Marvin to save face making it "his" decision. As far as in house hire its all speculation. If Tobin leaves then it's time to panic

Okay. So ... is this Bengalfan4life27c’s opinion, or do you have a credible source for this brilliant thread?
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2017, 01:00 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Mike is allowing Marvin to save face making it "his" decision. As far as in house hire its all speculation. If Tobin leaves then it's time to panic

Why would he 'fire' a coach that has no contract?

Also the blurb about how the assistant coaches are being underpaid.

I think Marvin wants out. He knows he can't win here.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2017, 10:23 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Why would he 'fire' a coach that has no contract?

I don't trust the press.

But if Marvin told the press Sunday morning he was leaving and made the comments about how poorly his staff has been treated- right before a game- that is really low.

Even if it is true- which I expect that it is- that staff has been poorly treated financially.

Based upon published comments by several players, they were not aware that Marvin denied the statement before the game.

Why didn't Marvin deny the statement before the game?

Marvin should be called in today and fired immediately if he actually made the original statement.

Another example of no accountability in organization.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Mike should release Marvin of his duty's this morning. The leak came out, and you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube. Why should he release him? Because if he really wants to hire from within, then give Guenther or Simmons the final 2 games as a trial run. That's what most front offices do in this case. Why let Marvin coach if it's already out (and increasingly clear by the teams play) that he's done.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2017, 11:23 AM)jj22 Wrote: Mike should release Marvin of his duty's this morning. The leak came out, and you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube. Why should he release him? Because if he really wants to hire from within, then give Guenther or Simmons the final 2 games as a trial run. That's what most front offices do in this case. Why let Marvin coach if it's already out (and increasingly clear by the teams play) that he's done.

Because Merv is his buddy and wants to give him a nice farewell party.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2017, 11:27 AM)Takedown Wrote: Because Merv is his buddy and wants to give him a nice farewell party.

A whoopin' from the Lions on Christmas Eve at PBS would be a nice farewell party.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Anyone ever heard the phrase all publicity is good publicity? There is no such thing as bad publicity..
The current occupant at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue is living proof. Since when has bad publicity done wrong by the Brown family? They just get richer and richer and the team gets worse and worse. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-18-2017, 10:23 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Why would he 'fire' a coach that has no contract?

So do we.  But it's pretty silly to act like he's been as good as anyone could have been and still not succeeded.  Maybe if he did his job better, he could.  Maybe if he believed it was his job to instill discipline or inspire his team or make halftime adjustments.  Maybe if he could have closed the deal on a few more Steeler games that ended in mind numbing defeat or had a better prime time record...
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
This is a positive turning point. 1999 to present we have been a competitive team. Mike is an extremely loyal guy. He is right in being loyal to Tobin. The problem was Marvin. I used to feel Mike Brown was a problem but since 1999 since Tobin we have been close to mediocre with a below average coach. If we make the right hire this could lead to a dynasty. Tobin has tuned down being interviewed for 5 other GM positions. So other people in the NFL recognize his talent.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2017, 10:57 AM)bengals67 Wrote: I don't trust the press.

But if Marvin told the press Sunday morning he was leaving and made the comments about how poorly his staff has been treated- right before a game- that is really low.

Even if it is true- which I expect that it is- that staff has been poorly treated financially.

Based upon published comments by several players, they were not aware that Marvin denied the statement before the game.

Why didn't Marvin deny the statement before the game?

Marvin should be called in today and fired immediately if he actually made the original statement.

Another example of no accountability in organization.

Honestly...is it any secret that he's not coming back next year? Anyone could have leaked this.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2017, 11:23 AM)jj22 Wrote: Mike should release Marvin of his duty's this morning. The leak came out, and you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube. Why should he release him? Because if he really wants to hire from within, then give Guenther or Simmons the final 2 games as a trial run. That's what most front offices do in this case. Why let Marvin coach if it's already out (and increasingly clear by the teams play) that he's done.

The team is DOA now. The guys have quit trying. Putting Guenther or Simmons in that spot with 2 weeks to go is unfair to them.

Maybe if there were 8 games left you do this...but not with 2.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2017, 02:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The team is DOA now. The guys have quit trying. Putting Guenther or Simmons in that spot with 2 weeks to go is unfair to them.

Maybe if there were 8 games left you do this...but not with 2.

Well, in the interest of never seeing Marvin on a Bengals sideline again, I respectfully disagree.   I see the players having quit precisely as a big reason to go with an interim.  The players quit because their HC quit.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-18-2017, 02:25 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: This is a positive turning point. 1999 to present we have been a competitive team. Mike is an extremely loyal guy. He is right in being loyal to Tobin. The problem was Marvin. I used to feel Mike Brown was a problem but since 1999 since Tobin we have been close to mediocre with a below average coach. If we make the right hire this could lead to a dynasty. Tobin has tuned down being interviewed for 5 other GM positions. So other people in the NFL recognize his talent.

Mike Brown has ALSO been a problem since 1999. Maybe not as much of one, but it's Brown who refuses to use free agency to its fullest. It's Brown that refuses to have a proper scouting staff/department. It's Brown that waits until way too late to make personnel changes.

Merv has his fair share of blame, but don't make it seem like Brown hasn't been a part of the problem.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2017, 05:47 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Mike Brown has ALSO been a problem since 1999. Maybe not as much of one, but it's Brown who refuses to use free agency to its fullest. It's Brown that refuses to have a proper scouting staff/department. It's Brown that waits until way too late to make personnel changes.

Merv has his fair share of blame, but don't make it seem like Brown hasn't been a part of the problem.

All of the above.

And also he allowed an 0-7 coach in the playoffs coach 2 more seasons. There's only 1 owner in the NFL that would do that.
Reply/Quote