Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Chip on their Shoulders?
(02-19-2020, 11:32 AM)Nately120 Wrote: That's part of the fun of fandom.  If you ask a Bengals fan if the media is unjustly hating on them they'll say yes.  If you ask a Bengals fan if the media is unjustly hating on the Lions or Redskins they'll say "No that team is a 3-13 pile of trash with a dumbass stubborn owner."

do not forget them dirty refs... always out to get us.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2020, 11:32 AM)Nately120 Wrote: That's part of the fun of fandom.  If you ask a Bengals fan if the media is unjustly hating on them they'll say yes.  If you ask a Bengals fan if the media is unjustly hating on the Lions or Redskins they'll say "No that team is a 3-13 pile of trash with a dumbass stubborn owner."

That might be true for some, but I think you are oversimplifying it. If all of this were being said about the Cardinals last year I really don’t think I’d have agreed. I probably wouldn’t have tried to come to their defense, but I wouldn’t have felt it was justified.

Anything said about the Browns, Steelers, or Ravens is well earned. They are rivals so it’s much easier to agree to anything negative said about them. It’s much easier to be objective about the other 28 teams in the league though.

I’m curious if there has been a single team that you, or anyone, could find that has had more negative coverage than the Bengals though. There have been teams with some negative coverage, but not nearly to the extent of the Bengals. The Redskins maybe close with their name, the Lions when they had Suh, but overall I can’t think of a team that is as routinely picked apart as the Bengals. You say well earned. I say self fulfilling prophesy being created by the media.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2020, 11:41 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: :hail: :hail: :hail:

Come on...you really think the media that spent all offseason polishing the Lombardi for the Browns and then all season polishing the Lombardi for the Ravens is actually refusing to admit anyone but the Steelers can win the AFC North?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2020, 10:24 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Bengals haven't had a playoff win in 3 decades..... blah blah blah. Kiper was right, they have been to 2 Super Bowls. 4 teams have never even sniffed that. They have been to the playoffs multiple times. Been Division Champions of one of the toughest divisions multiple times. Yet the press seems to think they have never won a game. Make no mistake, all this hoopla about Burrow not wanting to play here is about one thing... they are afraid the Bengals will dominate the Division for the next decade and the darling Stealers are moving to the bottom of the division. Nothing else.

When it comes to the Super Bowl, the Bengals are tied for 18th in appearances at 2.
The other teams tied with them are:
Panthers
Falcons
Ravens
Bears

The following teams have had only 1 or no appearances (10):
Saints (1)
Cardinals (1)
Titans (1)
Buccaneers (1)
Chargers (1)
Jets (1)
Browns (0)
Lions (0)
Jaguars (0)
Texans (0)

In regard to number of playoff appearances, the Bengals are tied for 23rd with the Jets and Falcons at 14.
Only seven teams have fewer playoff appearances in their franchise history.

I understand and agree that the Bengals are not the worst franchise in history, but at what point do (or should) they start comparing themselves against the best rather than against the worst?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2020, 11:49 AM)BengalsFan1986 Wrote: That might be true for some, but I think you are oversimplifying it. If all of this were being said about the Cardinals last year I really don’t think I’d have agreed. I probably wouldn’t have tried to come to their defense, but I wouldn’t have felt it was justified.

Anything said about the Browns, Steelers, or Ravens is well earned. They are rivals so it’s much easier to agree to anything negative said about them. It’s much easier to be objective about the other 28 teams in the league though.

I’m curious if there has been a single team that you, or anyone, could find that has had more negative coverage than the Bengals though. There have been teams with some negative coverage, but not nearly to the extent of the Bengals. The Redskins maybe close with their name, the Lions when they had Suh, but overall I can’t think of a team that is as routinely picked apart as the Bengals. You say well earned. I say self fulfilling prophesy being created by the media.

I dont disagree but I keep pointing out that MB being so stubborn and unwilling to change or hire a GM for almost 30 years helps cement us as punching bags. 

We don't hire GMs or HCs often and we don't make big splashes in FA.  Other thsn the ocassional draft hit we are a boring afterthought of a team to cover. People don't like boring teams that don't win.

I get it.  If the whole NFL were like the MB Bengals the league wouldn't be raking in money like it does.  We lack national appeal or relevance so I can see why people rake the muck. 
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2020, 11:45 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: do not forget them dirty refs... always out to get us.

Hopefully Burrow doesn't find out the NFL is stacked against us.  He might want to play some here he is allowed to win. 
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2020, 11:49 AM)BengalsFan1986 Wrote: That might be true for some, but I think you are oversimplifying it. If all of this were being said about the Cardinals last year I really don’t think I’d have agreed. I probably wouldn’t have tried to come to their defense, but I wouldn’t have felt it was justified.

So why are they picking the bengals apart? Do you think they drew short straws? Or was it strictly performance/business related? Because just a few short years ago we were the jewel of the division... now we're the laughing stock. Why?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2020, 01:22 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The Bengals have gotten worse every year of Joe Mixon's career, with 0 winning seasons. Tyler Boyd is 4/4 on losing seasons in his career.

Neither Joe Mixon nor Tyler Boyd have EVER beaten the Steelers.

....I reiterate, if they needed this Burrow stuff to give them the chip on their shoulder to play better, then they should just forfeit the 2020 season. It shouldn't take Burrow rumors to make them want to get better, and if it does, then there's a lot more wrong with this franchise and it's players than we could have ever guessed.

I agree, but this is the forum where half the people that hate on Andy Dalton do it because he doesn't run around pregame barking, and asking if there's any dogs in the da house.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2020, 12:01 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: So why are they picking the bengals apart? Do you think they drew short straws? Or was it strictly performance/business related? Because just a few short years ago we were the jewel of the division... now we're the laughing stock. Why?

Owners like MB are archaic and not good for the NFL for what its worth.  Same reason Snyder and Al Davis in his later years are ragged on.  They are the welfare hags of the NFL who bring in less and eagerly take their revenue sharing checks and go home to keep doing things their own way.

If the Brown family sold the Bengals to Mark Cuban or David Tepper I think the media would go crazy for us.  At least at first.  It would be a new dey for sure.

Remember how much people didn't care about the Patriots before Robert Kraft bought them?
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2020, 02:46 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: Speaking of Boyd and Mixon:

I'm not positive what "turnup on they asses" means, but it sounds good.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2020, 11:51 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Come on...you really think the media that spent all offseason polishing the Lombardi for the Browns and then all season polishing the Lombardi for the Ravens is actually refusing to admit anyone but the Steelers can win the AFC North?

Say what you will about the team, but the Browns still have a huge, albeit aging, national population.  
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2020, 12:21 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Say what you will about the team, but the Browns still have a huge, albeit aging, national population.  

True which shows even championships that are over 50 years old still have some shine.  I guess it's more like 60. Time flies.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2020, 12:05 PM)jason Wrote: I agree, but this is the forum where half the people that hate on Andy Dalton do it because he doesn't run around pregame barking, and asking if there's any dogs in the da house.

There’s a middle ground between barking like a madman and acting like a choirboy lol

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2020, 11:49 AM)BengalsFan1986 Wrote: Anything said about the Browns, Steelers, or Ravens is well earned. They are rivals so it’s much easier to agree to anything negative said about them. It’s much easier to be objective about the other 28 teams in the league though.

The Ravens, IMO, are the only team truly exempt from anything negative, for the past 15-20 years; the last really black stain on them was Ray Lewis' alleged murder (which I'm still of the opinion that he looks more guilty than not); since then, there has been little to nothing to rag on them about.

They've cut bait with all of their headcases (Matt Elam, in particular) and despite Harbaugh being an absolute asshole on the field (I have NEVER seen a coach complain more about EVERYTHING, than him), he doesn't have the off-field attitude and snark his brother does.

The Stoolers and Browns though? Indeed, everything that comes out about them is basically negative anyways, so why not pile on? They attract and promote the attitude themselves (see Kitchens and Antonio Brown), not to mention Tomlin standing in the was of Jacoby Jones, racist shit, etc. etc.

We've won more AND kept our nose clean more, than the Browns have in the past 10 years, yet...
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2020, 01:03 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: The Ravens, IMO, are the only team truly exempt from anything negative, for the past 15-20 years; the last really black stain on them was Ray Lewis' alleged murder (which I'm still of the opinion that he looks more guilty than not); since then, there has been little to nothing to rag on them about.

They've cut bait with all of their headcases (Matt Elam, in particular) and despite Harbaugh being an absolute asshole on the field (I have NEVER seen a coach complain more about EVERYTHING, than him), he doesn't have the off-field attitude and snark his brother does.

The Stoolers and Browns though? Indeed, everything that comes out about them is basically negative anyways, so why not pile on? They attract and promote the attitude themselves (see Kitchens and Antonio Brown), not to mention Tomlin standing in the was of Jacoby Jones, racist shit, etc. etc.

We've won more AND kept our nose clean more, than the Browns have in the past 10 years, yet...

I like to still think of the Ravens as the Browns 1.0

Bengals
Steelers
Browns 1.0
Browns 2.0  (although in this case the increasing of the version does not mean improvement lol)
Reply/Quote
“(I have NEVER seen a coach complain more about EVERYTHING, than him)”

I don’t know - I think the Michigan Wolverines HC might be worse.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2020, 01:38 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: “(I have NEVER seen a coach complain more about EVERYTHING, than him)”

I don’t know - I think the Michigan Wolverines HC might be worse.

Well, he IS his brother lol
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2020, 01:35 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I like to still think of the Ravens as the Browns 1.0

Bengals
Steelers
Browns 1.0
Browns 2.0  (although in this case the increasing of the version does not mean improvement lol)

The Bengals are the Browns 2.0 since Paul Brown founded both franchises, so it is more like:

Steelers
Expansion Browns that are the Bengals
Original Browns that moved and became the Ravens
Expansion Browns that became the new, totally awful Browns
Reply/Quote
The only people that this media barrage should light a fire on is the ownership. It's a direct insult to them on how they run the franchise. It really has nothing to do with the players, although I'm glad to see them stand up and speak out at this point.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2020, 02:25 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The only people that this media barrage should light a fire on is the ownership.  It's a direct insult to them on how they run the franchise.  It really has nothing to do with the players, although I'm glad to see them stand up and speak out at this point.

Yeah I agree.  Boyd said we could have the #1 offense in the league last off-season though, so he's no stranger to fighting media doubt with grand statements of confidence. 
Reply/Quote