Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Choose a Back
(09-11-2017, 10:52 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Valid point. But Hill also only received 10 snaps, which was the lowest out of the three RBs. Are people really that confident Hill would have kept above 4 YPC if he had more snaps?
Mixon also looked like the best RB in the preseason, which shouldn't be discounted because "it's preseason."
Mixon also has the size of Hill and the receiving ability closer to Bernard. Because of this, he's the most suitable to be the lead back as it won't (or shouldn't) be as evident to how he will be used unlike Gio and Hill.

I still stand by what I said.

My point is we have 3 good RB's and don't have to trash one because your objective is for your guy to play more. This team has major issues at all 5 OL positions (yes Boling  was horrid yesterday also) and the OL did not run or pass block well. The Ravens backs looked better than all 3 od our backs, not because they are better, but because their OL is much better than our OL.

I understand everyone is pissed, but RB was not the issue yesterday, take into account the poor run blocking (inconsistent) and they did well, all 3 of them.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 10:58 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: My point is we have 3 good RB's and don't have to trash one because your objective is for your guy to play more. This team has major issues at all 5 OL positions (yes Boling  was horrid yesterday also) and the OL did not run or pass block well. The Ravens backs looked better than all 3 od our backs, not because they are better, but because their OL is much better than our OL.

I understand everyone is pissed, but RB was not the issue yesterday, take into account the poor run blocking (inconsistent) and they did well, all 3 of them.

I understand your point, and it's a fair one. Perhaps I am being too hard on Hill. But I think that out of the three RBs the Bengals have, Hill's track record has proven he's the worst when it comes to turning something out of nothing. Bernard clearly is better at it than Hill. Mixon didn't show much this game, but he's shown he can turn something into nothing so far this preseason. So I'm not just trying to "defend my guy."

I actually view the Bengals' rushing situation to be like the old Colts rushing situation. For years, they had (and again have?) a porous OL and the only RBs who could ever do anything in that offense were the scat-type backs. The between-the-tackles RBs could never get anything going because they were always tackled at or behind the LOS. Unfortunately, Hill is the latter type of RB and I expect by season's end he will have produced the least out of the three because he can't make things for himself.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 10:54 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote:
I mean, part of that can be on not attacking N/S as soon as you get the ball, but yeah, that's still a pretty horrible stat that he has little/partial control over.

He was tackled for -4 and -5, as soon as he took the hand offs he was tackled. Nothing in that exchange was his fault.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 11:37 AM)Au165 Wrote: He was tackled for -4 and -5, as soon as he took the hand offs he was tackled. Nothing in that exchange was his fault.

It wasnt directly his fault obviously, as he isnt blocking for himself. But I do believe an argument can be made that he was indirectly at fault so to speak. And by indirectly at fault I am referring to when the defense saw him back there as the game wore on, they just pinned their ears back and went full go at him or Dalton, using Mixon's inexperience by predicting what they will do. 

When Gio was back there, the defense would be a bit more hesitant to do so because they know Gio is a vet who can pick up blitzes, or can scrap out of there to get a quick screen. They gave more respect to Gio. But didnt give any to Mixon because it was simply his first game back there, not to mention they smelled weakness on the Bengals oline which made it that much easier to do.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Mixion should start, Gio should get some touches, and Hill should be used as goal line back.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Doesn't ***** matter who the RB is. Bell, Gordon, Johnson... All of them would suck here behind this offensive line.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 11:57 AM)Millhouse Wrote: It wasnt directly his fault obviously, as he isnt blocking for himself. But I do believe an argument can be made that he was indirectly at fault so to speak. And by indirectly at fault I am referring to when the defense saw him back there as the game wore on, they just pinned their ears back and went full go at him or Dalton, using Mixon's inexperience by predicting what they will do. 

When Gio was back there, the defense would be a bit more hesitant to do so because they know Gio is a vet who can pick up blitzes, or can scrap out of there to get a quick screen. They gave more respect to Gio. But didnt give any to Mixon because it was simply his first game back there, not to mention they smelled weakness on the Bengals oline which made it that much easier to do.

Again, watch the tape. This was under 2 minutes when we were simply running the clock out to end the game. Nothing to do with Mixon, or whoever was back there, simply they knew we were running under two minutes to get the game over with. He lost 9 yards on two carries where the defenders could have taken the handoff. Mixon needs meaningful touches during meaningful situations. Don't tell us the kid is special all preseason, but when it's crunch time you try hiding him. He was in for pass plays a couple times in between, but never really got much chance to show what he can do with the ball in his hands.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 10:43 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Mixon averaged 1.1 ypc against the Ravens.

Bernard and Hill had much better averages.

Hill also had a long run that was called back because Fisher held away from the play; but nobody wants to hear this. They want the new toy and will come up with all kinds of reasons the 1.1 YPC was not his fault.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 06:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Hill also had a long run that was called back because Fisher held away from the play; but nobody wants to hear this. They want the new toy and will come up with all kinds of reasons the 1.1 YPC was not his fault.

"Fisher was called for holding" away from the play.

Even the announce team said they didn't see a hold on that play. That call was as bad as it gets.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I think They should do what we all think they should do, start mixon, bring Gio in on passing downs and give him 5-10 carries per game, bring in Hill in for goaline . I think hill is pretty much a lame duck at this point with it being a contract year, no matter what he does I don't see him getting retained. So if that's the case why not get the show on the road with mixon. Hill has done absolutely nothing to just be given that starter role. I think out O starts slow a lot of times solely because of hill.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 06:15 PM)Bengalindayton Wrote: I think They should do what we all think they should do, start mixon, bring Gio in on passing downs and give him 5-10 carries per game, bring in Hill in for goaline . I think hill is pretty much a lame duck at this point with it being a contract year, no matter what he does I don't see him getting retained. So if that's the case why not get the  show on the road with mixon. Hill has done absolutely nothing to just be given that starter role. I think out O starts slow a lot of times solely because of hill.

Prior to yesterday my thought was Hill was still starting so Mixon could learn the blitz pick-up and add protection for Andy....after watching the game, it doesn't matter who the back is when the line just lets them flood in.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 10:22 AM)bengals67 Wrote: Any0ne else see what a rookie Hunt did against the Pats

I saw him fumble on his first touch in the NFL.  Amazingly, they gave him another chance.
Reply/Quote
THAT is very true. I will give hill a tad bit of credit, like someone else mentioned. Hill ran pretty hard yest and limited pre season. Still think he's a lame duck as far as not being brought back. I'd agree about teaching mixon the blitz pickups but he's had all summer plus marvin said one of the main reasons they drafted him was how smart he was with the blitz pickups and mental part of the game
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 01:36 PM)jason Wrote: Doesn't ***** matter who the RB is. Bell, Gordon, Johnson... All of them would suck here behind this offensive line.

^This^

One running back, 5 RB's, a dozen RB's it's not gonna matter behind this powder puff O-line.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 01:36 PM)jason Wrote: Doesn't ***** matter who the RB is. Bell, Gordon, Johnson... All of them would suck here behind this offensive line.

2 of our 3 RBs ran for very good YPC. What leads you to say this?  
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 12:04 AM)Millhouse Wrote: Gio as featured back. Hill & Mixon for relief.

Mixon needs more time to get caught up to the NFL speed imo. And Gio is a safer bet as he knows the offense inside and out in terms of audibles, picking up blitzes, etc.

edit:
Katherine Terrell Retweeted
Nathan Jahnke‏Verified account @PFF_NateJahnke  7h7 hours ago
More
Bengals final HB snap count: Giovani Bernard 29, Joe Mixon 22, Jeremy Hill 10. Out of 61
This. Why are you so rational? ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 10:02 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Hill is done. That's evident.
Bernard has been dinged up a lot so it'd be good to not use him often like 20+ touches a game.
Mixon should be the featured back with Bernard used occasionally as a receiving threat to reduce the likelihood he gets hurt again.

I disagree....

Hill is NOT done......
he's a hungry back in a contract year...
so pls, slow your roll on this....b/c it's just not true....

Bernard is fine....Mixon is fine.....
they're all fine....
lets see how the season unfolds...
Reply/Quote
I like this 3 headed monster.....give them all some love...
let's see how the season unfolds....
be patient...
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 06:15 PM)Bengalindayton Wrote: I think They should do what we all think they should do, start mixon, bring Gio in on passing downs and give him 5-10 carries per game, bring in Hill in for goaline . I think hill is pretty much a lame duck at this point with it being a contract year, no matter what he does I don't see him getting retained. So if that's the case why not get the  show on the road with mixon. Hill has done absolutely nothing to just be given that starter role. I think out O starts slow a lot of times solely because of hill.
who's "WE"..?
do you have a mouse in your pocket...?

obviously the management & I also don't agree w/ your vision for how to best use our backs.....
I like this 3 headed monster.....as it breeds a drive to out perform the other two.....& helps to keep all 3 of their legs a little fresher......if hill sat on the bench a lot as you suggest he'd probably not be a happy camper.....but that's probably what you want.....him ran out of town on a rail & Mixon as your new god.....real nice....not

I love Mixon but that's no reason to treat Hill like a POS......
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 10:14 PM)Steve Wrote: I disagree....

Hill is NOT done......
he's a hungry back in a contract year...
so pls, slow your roll on this....b/c it's just not true....

Bernard is fine....Mixon is fine.....
they're all fine....
lets see how the season unfolds...

[Image: yes-sir.jpg]

But in all seriousness though, Hill got 10 snaps. Bernard and Mixon combined for 51. Hill will be the least utilized RB in this offense by season's end. I don't dislike him, but he's best used as a short yardage and goal line back. He's not the best candidate to have the majority of the carries.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote