Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chris Baker expected to sign with Bengals
(03-07-2018, 04:57 PM)Trademark Wrote: Wow we surely are being aggressive! Signing washed up bums! Same old same old. Heard from others he’s terrible in the locker room too...Also heard he’s lazy

Yeah, just look at all the top tier free agents all of the other teams in the league are signing.

Which one of them do you most wish the Bengals had signed, Trademark?
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 01:15 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Well if they do sign Baker then I guess the nose tackle Vea is off the table. Unless for some reason they do not sign Geno Atkins to a new contract.

I’m not sure taking a nose tackle at 12 in this day and age is worth it. I’m not saying stopping the run isn’t important but can this guy affect the passing game ? If it’s 2nd or 3rd in long on consecutive drives will he be on the field or replaced with a nickle DT next to Geno ? If we take a guy at number 12 I want him to be able to play all 3 downs. Taking 3 Technique guys like Geno and Aron Donald are worth taking at 12 but I personally wouldn’t take just a run stopper at 12.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 07:09 PM)lone bengal Wrote: I not sure taking a nose tackle at 12 in this day and age is worth it. I’m not saying stopping the run isn’t important but can this guy affect the passing game ? If it’s 2nd or 3rd in long on consecutive drives will he be on the field or replaced with a nickle DT next to Geno ? If we take a guy at number 12 I want him to be able to play all 3 downs.  Taking 3 Technique guys like Geno and Aron Donald are worth taking at 12 but I personally wouldn’t take just a run stopper at 12.

I think Vita Vea can be a 3 down Lineman myself. He can rush the passer.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 01:45 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Now now, you know that there'll be a poster or two here on the forums that will remind you the coaches and front office know better than you. They know what they're doing  Whatever

Who are we to question anything this historic and wonderful franchise does? 

Based on their won/loss record this combination of head coach and front office are smarter than most other NFL teams.

How else would they have managed to win more than they have lost?
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 07:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Based on their won/loss record this combination of head coach and front office are smarter than most other NFL teams.

How else would they have managed to win more than they have lost?

I agree. 0-7 is above and beyond the rest of the league.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 07:29 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I agree. 0-7 is above and beyond the rest of the league.

Lol, just spectacular.
Reply/Quote
Bengals will be Chris Bakers 6th team since 2009. it's safe to say he's a scrub.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 07:29 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I agree. 0-7 is above and beyond the rest of the league.

(03-07-2018, 07:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Lol, just spectacular.

Never understood people who think making the playoffs is somehow a BAD thing.

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 07:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Never understood people who think making the playoffs is somehow a BAD thing.

Yep. Like dying and going to the pearly gates 7 different times and God says, “Welp, that’s as far as you go. Now go back to earth and start over!” If that happened to me, I might change my pastor because I’m getting the wrong message.

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 07:32 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Bengals will be Chris Bakers 6th team since 2009.  it's safe to say he's a scrub.

No, not at all.  He spent a year with the Broncos, they were set at DL and he didn't make the cut his second year.  Went to the Dolphins, things didn't work out.  Spent several years with Washington, where he developed into a very productive player.  Got picked up by Tampa, and just wasn't a good fit.

See a trend?  The one team that actually brought him into the fold, and made him a part of things, got really good production from him.  As far as "effort issues" and such, I think having the opportunity to work with Geno and Carlos would be motivation to live up to the standard.  I'm willing to give the guy a fair chance, how about you?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 07:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: No, not at all.  He spent a year with the Broncos, they were set at DL and he didn't make the cut his second year.  Went to the Dolphins, things didn't work out.  Spent several years with Washington, where he developed into a very productive player.  Got picked up by Tampa, and just wasn't a good fit.

See a trend?  The one team that actually brought him into the fold, and made him a part of things, got really good production from him.  As far as "effort issues" and such, I think having the opportunity to work with Geno and Carlos would be motivation to live up to the standard.  I'm willing to give the guy a fair chance, how about you?

Most definately and getting moved around so much makes it hard to settle into a system.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 07:42 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Yep. Like dying and going to the pearly gates 7 different times and God says, “Welp, that’s as far as you go. Now go back to earth and start over!” If that happened to me, I might change my pastor because I’m getting the wrong message.

So you would prefer to die and not go to heaven at all?

Interesting thought, but I don't see how it explains that making the playoffs and losing is worse than not making the playoffs at all.  I have been watching football a long time and fans always celebrate when their team makes the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 07:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Never understood people who think making the playoffs is somehow a BAD thing.

Its not, its the losing EVERYTIME we get there that is a BAD thing.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 07:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Its not, its the losing EVERYTIME we get there that is a BAD thing.

Bad, but still better than not going at all.

Don't you agree?
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 06:54 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Not a scrub just not a fit for the bucs.... Just because they are available now doesn't make them a scrub in any sense of the word.

1 year deal for the bengals seems to be done.

He actually is a bum. Go read online, people have said he got lazy when he got a new contract and he’s terrible in the locker room
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 07:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bad, but still better than not going at all.

Don't you agree?

Yes, i agree with that.
Reply/Quote
People want to say the Bengals scouting department isn't improved.

I beg to differ. We now find the bums nobody else wants much earlier in free agency.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
Anyone remember when we traded for a “bum” around this time last year from Jacksonville? That worked out pretty well. It’s always funny when guys get upset about this stuff. We now don’t have to do anything at DT if the draft doesn’t fall that way, we won’t be chasing positions but letting them come to us. Honestly I think Glasgow is the guy anyways so Baker is a low cost low risk rotational guy to replace sims.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 01:21 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Was thinking the same, except you're not putting Vea at 3T, but Maurice Hurst would be a good potential Atkins replacement (assuming his heart condition checks out). Baker would give a veteran presence in case Billings and Glasgow struggle again.
U can play vea at 3-tech. Perfectly fine with it. Not trying to turn this into draft talk but what am I missing with Hurst? I see 4th rounder? Am I missing something? I saw his osu game and he got stuffer every play by a guard who will barely make a ps in the NFL.
(03-07-2018, 08:14 PM)Au165 Wrote: Anyone remember when we traded for a “bum” around this time last year from Jacksonville? That worked out pretty well. It’s always funny when guys get upset about this stuff. We now don’t have to do anything at DT if the draft doesn’t fall that way, we won’t be chasing positions but letting them come to us. Honestly I think Glasgow is the guy anyways so Baker is a low cost low risk rotational guy to replace sims.
He was really good in Washington.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 06:18 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Anybody who is halfway intelligent and honest with themselves KNOWS the coaches know more than the posters here. Otherwise, they'd be posting here and the smarter posters here would be coaching in the NFL..... We may not agree with the coaches, but to suggest an internet poster knows more about the game than a coach that made it to the top tier of coaching is laughable.

Well sure, all kidding aside they obviously know quite a bit about the game of football. But damn, sometimes they make me wonder if I couldn't do a better job.

I hated 90% of the moves they made (and didn't make) last season and it killed us like I thought it would. 

Plus, I will happily acknowledge that in-game adjustments exist and are crucial to winning. You won't see me alluding them adjustments as "more journalist jargon than anything"  Mellow
Reply/Quote