Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Chris Evans
Why does he never get any PT? Mixon is having a mediocre year. I still like Mixon and think he's a good player but nothing about his performance so far this year warrants keeping Evans on the sidelines every play. We all saw Evans flash some talent in the pre-season. I figured that performance alone would earn him the occasional couple of plays but apparently the coaches are happy to make him a KO return man only? Heck even last season he got more playing time. Also, with our new shotgun heavy scheme his speed and burst could be an asset. It's really confusing to me.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2022, 09:39 AM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Why does he never get any PT?  Mixon is having a mediocre year.  I still like Mixon and think he's a good player but nothing about his performance so far this year warrants keeping Evans on the sidelines every play.  We all saw Evans flash some talent in the pre-season.  I figured that performance alone would earn him the occasional couple of plays but apparently the coaches are happy to make him a KO return man only?  Heck even last season he got more playing time.  Also, with our new shotgun heavy scheme his speed and burst could be an asset.  It's really confusing to me.

He's #3 on the depth chart. How is this confusing?
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2022, 09:43 AM)Sled21 Wrote: He's #3 on the depth chart. How is this confusing?

So was Tufele and as far as my eyes can see he stands out when given the chance.

It wouldn't hurt to get a chance of pace back in there every once in a while.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2022, 09:43 AM)Sled21 Wrote: He's #3 on the depth chart. How is this confusing?

[Image: VsoZjwp.png]

All 3 Chiefs RBs have been healthy this year and all 3 get carries.  We are talking about running back here the most physically demanding position in all of sports.  The more guys you can rotate in the better.  

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2022, 09:39 AM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Why does he never get any PT?  Mixon is having a mediocre year.  I still like Mixon and think he's a good player but nothing about his performance so far this year warrants keeping Evans on the sidelines every play.  We all saw Evans flash some talent in the pre-season.  I figured that performance alone would earn him the occasional couple of plays but apparently the coaches are happy to make him a KO return man only?  Heck even last season he got more playing time.  Also, with our new shotgun heavy scheme his speed and burst could be an asset.  It's really confusing to me.

In the NFL, salaries determines who plays. Kinda like you get to do the work while your boss just checks to see you're doing it right eventhough you would make a better boss. Nervous
Reply/Quote

Evans is currently 34th in Kick Return average.  Before we start looking at an expanded role in the offense, he needs to at least be mediocre as a returner.  He really hasn't done anything to warrant more touches.  If anything, we should be looking for someone to take over his KR duties.
Reply/Quote
Some careful reading of his draft profile should give some clues as to why the Bengals are being slow with his development and incorporation into the offense.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/chris-evans/32004556-4110-5967-b1b8-845c260e1531

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
It's a long season and eventually someone will get dinged and give him his shot for a game or two and he will have a shot to prove himself then..

Then you may find out exactly why he is not been given a lot of time, or proven right. Hoping for the latter but a little skeptical since the coaches see them all daily and we just have pre-season to gauge him by.

Plus with the amount of runs the Bengals are doing so far it would be hard to work in 3 RB's imo.

Would guess he is not a good blocker just like Mixon, but lessor of a runner.

Perine being good at pass pro will keep him getting reps over him as well imo.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2022, 10:06 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Some careful reading of his draft profile should give some clues as to why the Bengals are being slow with his development and incorporation into the offense.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/chris-evans/32004556-4110-5967-b1b8-845c260e1531

Draft profile?  Did I dream this play from last season (ya know an actual NFL game not a draft profile) ? 

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2022, 10:02 AM)Whatever Wrote: Evans is currently 34th in Kick Return average.  Before we start looking at an expanded role in the offense, he needs to at least be mediocre as a returner.  He really hasn't done anything to warrant more touches.  If anything, we should be looking for someone to take over his KR duties.

What was he prior to today's game? He's only had 6 on the year so the 1 bad return really crushed his average. I would imagine he was quite a bit higher before that since he was at a 25.5 average. 

He's played well pretty much every time he has got a chance on offense. Last year he has 15 catches on 17 targets for 150 yards and 2 touchdowns. He had 17 carries for 4.5ypc.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2022, 10:13 AM)TheFan Wrote: What was he prior to today's game? He's only had 6 on the year so the 1 bad return really crushed his average. I would imagine he was quite a bit higher before that since he was at a 25.5 average. 

He's played well pretty much every time he has got a chance on offense. Last year he has 15 catches on 17 targets for 150 yards and 2 touchdowns. He had 17 carries for 4.5ypc.

Right... the Bengals went 3-4 games to start the season without returning a Kick

I'd like to see him more involved but Zac Taylor doesn't want to rock the boat and I don't blame him.  This offense is catered around our wide outs so I'm cool keeping the Vet RB that's still productive mind you in the game.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2022, 09:48 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: In the NFL, salaries determines who plays. Kinda like you get to do the work while your boss just checks to see you're doing it right eventhough you would make a better boss. Nervous

I just read Matt 40 million dollar Ryan got benched for a cheap option. I am not saying Evans should be playing more, Perrine has shown to be a solid #2. But, your statement about money paid is not accurate or Carmen would be starting over Volson this year. Apple would not be giving snaps to our rookie CB in last week's game.

Performance matters too. The  coaches see Evans at every practice, we don't so I am going to trust the coaches on his playing time. I like Evans and it is a long season so way too early to think he will not get more opportunity and the season progresses, if he earns it in practice.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2022, 10:19 AM)QueenCity Wrote: I'd like to see him more involved but Zac Taylor doesn't want to rock the boat and I don't blame him.  This offense is catered around our wide outs so I'm cool keeping the Vet RB that's still productive mind you in the game.

Our running game is ranked bottom 5 in the league by the numbers I say rock the d*** boat.  Worst case scenario he gets a few carries, does poorly, goes back to bench.  Best case he runs it better than Mixon and thats a good problem to have. 

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2022, 10:22 AM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Our running game is ranked bottom 5 in the league by the numbers I say rock the d*** boat.  Worst case scenario he gets a few carries, does poorly, goes back to bench.  Best case he runs it better than Mixon and thats a good problem to have. 

O-Line switched to a power scheme vs. the Saints they were running wide zone (thus the struggle)

The last two games Mixon has been efficient in my opinion. 
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2022, 10:12 AM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Draft profile?  Did I dream this play from last season (ya know an actual NFL game not a draft profile) ? 

Yeah, that was a fun game to watch, even the JV players got a chance to get in on the action.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2022, 09:46 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: So was Tufele and as far as my eyes can see he stands out when given the chance.

It wouldn't hurt to get a chance of pace back in there every once in a while.  

And if #1 Reader and #2 Topou both weren't hurt, Tufele would still be waiting on the bench. When you are trying to win games, you play your best players.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2022, 10:22 AM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Our running game is ranked bottom 5 in the league by the numbers I say rock the d*** boat.  Worst case scenario he gets a few carries, does poorly, goes back to bench.  Best case he runs it better than Mixon and thats a good problem to have. 

Mixon does a good job of protecting the football. Maybe Evans does also, but a fumble lost can turn a game. I feel our running issues have been more on the OL and play calling than on Mixon and Perrine. But, the last 2 games I saw some improvement. We want our team to improve each week and peak at the end just like 2021.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2022, 10:12 AM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Draft profile?  Did I dream this play from last season (ya know an actual NFL game not a draft profile) ? 

Mixon does that too... don't see the point?
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2022, 09:48 AM)Bengalitis Wrote:
In the NFL, salaries determines who plays.
Kinda like you get to do the work while your boss just checks to see you're doing it right eventhough you would make a better boss. Nervous

That line of thinking makes zero sense. NFL coaches jobs depend on winning. You win by playing your best players, not those who make the most.
Reply/Quote
Maybe he’s just not that good guys.

Perine is a good back, not being able to beat out Perine isn’t a slight on him.

I think he’s a player who would probably contribute if thrown in the fire but he’s not good enough to demand PT. It’s probably his blocking. It sux too when your best attribute overlaps with what others already do on the team. He’s a great WR/HB guy. But Mixon has pretty good hands out the backfield and we’ve got 3 WRs that eat up all the receptions.

There’s just no where to squeeze him in at if he’s not going to block well in pass pro.

Do i think he’d go to another team and probably ball out…yep.

Do i think he’s Lesean McCoy on the low and we are idiots for not playing him? No
-Housh
Reply/Quote