Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Chris Evans
He might not have enough speed to be a running threat at the pro level. He should be able to win the 3rd down back spot based on his receiving ability.

Looking back at his highlights I just don’t see the speed for him to ever start.  

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2023, 08:03 PM)jj22 Wrote: He might not have enough speed to be a running threat at the pro level. He should be able to win the 3rd down back spot based on his receiving ability.

Looking back at his highlights I just don’t see the speed for him to ever start.  

Chris Evans as a RB prospect in the 2021 draft class scored a 9.81 RAS out of a possible 10.00. That ranked 29 out of 1460 RB from 1987 to 2021.

4.48 40 should be fast enough. He's electric with the ball in his hands. I think Chase Brown will be eventual Bell Cow every down guy with Evans or Williams having a chance. Generally speaking, I think Evans is grossly underutilized based on watching him, but I have no idea what he's like in the building, in meetings, with details on assignments, blocking, etc etc. I just know he is exciting to watch with the ball. He had some thrilling catches for the bengals as well. I was puzzling to watch him dissapear from game day duties.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2023, 08:03 PM)jj22 Wrote: He might not have enough speed to be a running threat at the pro level. He should be able to win the 3rd down back spot based on his receiving ability.

I think Trayveon they’ve got the hots for right now and Chase Brown the dark horse. There’s a reason he played little at Michigan. I’m not talking about talent. And … I don’t have a clue why. JMHO
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(07-08-2023, 08:27 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Chris Evans is a RB prospect in the 2021 draft class. He scored a 9.81 RAS out of a possible 10.00. This ranked 29 out of 1460 RB from 1987 to 2021.

4.48 40 should be fast enough. He's electric with the ball in his hands. I think Chase Brown will be eventual Bell Cow every down guy with Evans or Williams having a chance. Generally speaking, I think Evans is grossly underutilized based on watching him, but I have no idea what he's like in the building, in meetings, with details on assignments, blocking, etc etc. I just know he is exciting to watch with the ball. He had some thrilling catches for the bengals as well. I was puzzling to watch him dissapear from game day duties.
Couldn't have said it better PDub80..... Hilarious
Reply/Quote

He ran a 4.44 compared to Trayveons 4.51. He had a couple really long runs in preseason, against mostly 1st string that got called back for holdings. I don't think lack of speed is his problem. That said, there's obviously something about his him the coaches aren't fond of. 
Reply/Quote
His game speed doesn’t look 4.44

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2023, 12:33 AM)TheFan Wrote: He ran a 4.44 compared to Trayveons 4.51. He had a couple really long runs in preseason, against mostly 1st string that got called back for holdings. I don't think lack of speed is his problem. That said, there's obviously something about his him the coaches aren't fond of. 

I remember seeing a breakdown of his preseason runs and it being suggested that he may have caused those holds by not running thru the correct lanes and putting his blockers in bad positions. I wondered if that had an impact on his lack of playing time. I think he showed enough with his receiving ability and shiftiness to pick up the 1st down. Hopefully we can keep 4 backs with one of them on the practice squad.
Reply/Quote
Bengals could certainly use him to step up and hopefully he does.

Am kind of 50/50 on him though, yet hopeful he makes my jaw drop this year

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Evans is plenty fast enough. His speed isn't the issue. There is no real way to know what the issue is - he rarely ever plays.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2023, 04:00 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Evans is plenty fast enough. His speed isn't the issue. There is no real way to know what the issue is - he rarely ever plays.

Exactly, his issue is off the field, what he shows in practice or that he is not a team player or somethin'.

No one really knows except those in the building, but it sure isn't speed that is Chris Evans problem. Dude is fast.

Chase Brown is just as fast though and is talked about as a great teammate from everybody at Illinois.

Trayveon also seems to be a great guy off the field and a solid teammate.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2023, 04:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Exactly, his issue is off the field, what he shows in practice or that he is not a team player or somethin'.

No one really knows except those in the building, but it sure isn't speed that is Chris Evans problem. Dude is fast.

Chase Brown is just as fast though and is talked about as a great teammate from everybody at Illinois.

Trayveon also seems to be a great guy off the field and a solid teammate.

Yeah, the only thing I think we can say is that he isn't good enough. No idea why, but there is some combination of things that keeps him off the field. 
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2023, 10:43 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Couldn't have said it better PDub80..... Hilarious

Lol... I fixed it!
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2023, 04:00 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Evans is plenty fast enough. His speed isn't the issue. There is no real way to know what the issue is - he rarely ever plays.

Must be playbook, execution issues

Maybe something the coaches have been telling him since he was a rookie and the coaches finally snapped and put him in the doghouse.

If i tell your ass to do a block (hypothetical) a certain way for a whole season and your sophomore year comes and you are doing it the same was as before im going to lose my shit as a coach

Maybe he only lasted this long is because he’s a possible backup kick returner or he has such great camps that they are afraid to cut him

No one knows but the coaches at this point
-Housh
Reply/Quote

Well you looking for speed and passing catching , I don't see Brown as the guy, both similar in speed but.Evans better pass catcher
Reply/Quote
Who knows what it is ? Can't get the playbook down ? Missing assignments, they don't trust his blocking, hell Joe just doesn't trust him ?

Whatever it is it must be pretty bad. He didn't see many snaps last year.
Reply/Quote
Evans was not a quality pick in the 6th Rd.

He had 5 starts at RB in 5 years.
He had 16 carries in his 5th year.
He struggled at Michigan and was suspended for a year.

They couldn't get it out of him just like we apparently cannot. It was silly to take a player with zero production in the 6th with players like Pacheco and many others with tons of production available in the 7th.

Reply/Quote
(07-09-2023, 08:42 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Who knows what it is ? Can't get the playbook down ? Missing assignments, they don't trust his blocking, hell Joe just doesn't trust him ?

Whatever it is it must be pretty bad. He didn't see many snaps last year.

It doesn't take an expert to figure out how highly the Bengals value blocking out of any of their offensive players, particularly RB.  Until he can demonstrate that he can handle the blocking assignments, I doubt that we will see him lined up in the backfield very often.  That is a shame, as he has shown a lot of promise to be a playmaker with the ball in his hands.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I have a hard time seeing Evans getting ahead of Brown or Williams on the depth chart.
He's a truly RBBC/receiving back, so he won't get many opportunities in an offense.
Williams and Brown I think are more like a typical RB, and they had proven in college they could carry the load if needed.
Evans was never "the guy."

I think Evans might make the roster if the Bengals don't pick up someone else during the Summer, but his chances of climbing the depth chart seem to be getting lower and lower now that he's entering his 3rd season and they chose to draft Brown and re-sign Williams.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-09-2023, 12:50 AM)jj22 Wrote: His game speed doesn’t look 4.44

This. 

People are obssessed with raz and athletic testing, but there's a difference between testing and on field athleticism/speed.

He doesnt look athletic on the field and he brings nothing to the table that our current running backs don't already provide. I wouldn't be shocked if he's cut this year.

Could also be that maybe he's just not a very good football player...
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2023, 10:25 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: This. 

People are obssessed with raz and athletic testing, but there's a difference between testing and on field athleticism/speed.

He doesnt look athletic on the field and he brings nothing to the table that our current running backs don't already provide. I wouldn't be shocked if he's cut this year.

Could also be that maybe he's just not a very good football player...

Think it is mostly the fans because if he scored so high as reported, then why did he drop so far in the draft ? 

Believe he still has a shot, but as I said before I'm only a 50/50 believer in him and kind of a doubter. 

Somehow hope he proves me wrong. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote