Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Chris Evans...a bigger role?
(06-10-2022, 10:28 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Evans isn’t seeing the field unless injuries occur. Bottom line

And Burkhead was not better than Hill, Bernard, Boyd, Marvin Jones, Sanu, Green, Eifert, and Gresham.

just like Evans isn’t better than the big 3, Hurst, and Mixon.

Chris Evans is unknown to you, and you’re intrigued by it. The coaches know Chris Evans. The coaches knew Burkhead. If he was as talented as you think, he would have been on the field more than Perine

Well, in 2016 when Hill was still getting the lions share of carries, he averaged 3.8 ypc, which is pretty sad.  Burkhead averaged 4.6.  I am not saying he is better, but I thought he deserved more carries.  And he was a much more adept receiver than Hill.

As far as Evans goes, it isn't just unknown intrigue.  He flashed last year.  He tested like a freak.  He had a bad decision in college land him in the dog house but he stayed and faced the music instead of transferring.  I like the guy's character.  

And the entire point of the thread was posing him as a potential upgrade to Perine and taking some of the burden off Mixon.  As far as the coaches knowing Evans, I think that is why he got some looks last year, was on the field for a crucial third down (and a play he made), and was the KR in the playoffs despite never doing it before.  I just believe he has earned a bigger look and I think he will shine.  

It is kind of odd how you keep saying how he isn't as good as Mixon, Hurst, etc. then you say how he is an unknown.  Kind of talking out of both sides of your mouth a bit? 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2022, 08:38 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I’ve mentioned this several times. JMO is that Evans does not replace Perine because he doesn’t fit what Samaje brings. Evans is not experienced in pass pro or a tough inside runner. Samaje regardless what people think is the best pass blocker ( includes the mental aspect) and the best in short yardage. He’s strong and doesn’t give up on the play. He also spells Mixon on third down and long because they aren’t throwing it to the running back unless he’s the last option. Perine also plays on every special team and Simmons loves him. But… I I’d like to see more of Evans too. But what they should do is give Evans a series or two each half and have Mixon play more on short yardage and all third downs. So Evans spells Mixon
every now and then and Mixon goes in for Evans on all third downs.

Evans is not experienced at pass protection, but his college coach in an interview with Dan Hoard last year said that was one of his biggest strengths.  I commented about how Hoard also noted the strength in his lower body that he has added in the offseason as well.  

I think some folks in this thread took this to mean that I want Evans to replace Perine or even Mixon.  Far from it, but I am hoping he does take some of the burden of being in the top 3 for touches in the NFL from Mixon.  There was some stat a few years back that showed the production dip the subsequent season from guys that had a high carry burden the prior year.  I think Zeke Elliott was used as the example.

Perine still has a place on this team, but my hope is Evans is a bigger part and takes more carries from Joe (even if just in garbage time) and Samaje.  
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2022, 10:30 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Evans is not experienced at pass protection, but his college coach in an interview with Dan Hoard last year said that was one of his biggest strengths.  I commented about how Hoard also noted the strength in his lower body that he has added in the offseason as well.  

I think some folks in this thread took this to mean that I want Evans to replace Perine or even Mixon.  Far from it, but I am hoping he does take some of the burden of being in the top 3 for touches in the NFL from Mixon.  There was some stat a few years back that showed the production dip the subsequent season from guys that had a high carry burden the prior year.  I think Zeke Elliott was used as the example.

Perine still has a place on this team, but my hope is Evans is a bigger part and takes more carries from Joe (even if just in garbage time) and Samaje.  

I think there’s no question that the coaches feel they need to learn more about Evans. I think he gets some real opportunities. He’s an excellent receiver. Good to hear he’s improved his lower body. I’d expect that we are in much better control of games and especially late in games. I can see Evans definitely being used accordingly.

The exciting thing about this staff was how our backups performed. That’s not been discussed much. B J Hill was not a starter but sure played like one late. ADG was not a starter and looked good. Tre Flowers really helped. Marcus Bailey helped when Logan was out. If this team is going to really be a Super Bowl contender then they’ve got to get reserves and rookies ready to step in.
Reply/Quote
Chris Evans never did anything in college to deserve all the love and hype he gets here.

Would I like to see him develop into some sort of receiving weapon or third down back? Yes. But nothing in his football career suggests that he can do anything like that or even stay healthy for half a season.
Reply/Quote
Perine sucks, so I absolutely hope he does. Waste of a pick if he doesn't....
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2022, 11:58 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I think there’s no question that the coaches feel they need to learn more about Evans. I think he gets some real opportunities. He’s an excellent receiver. Good to hear he’s improved his lower body. I’d expect that we are in much better control of games and especially late in games. I can see Evans definitely being used accordingly.

The exciting thing about this staff was how our backups performed. That’s not been discussed much. B J Hill was not a starter but sure played like one late. ADG was not a starter and looked good. Tre Flowers really helped. Marcus Bailey helped when Logan was out. If this team is going to really be a Super Bowl contender then they’ve got to get reserves and rookies ready to step in.

Exactly.  It takes a full roster to win it all.  Last year proved that.  Everyone that wants to trash Eli Apple doesn't realize they probably don't go to the Super Bowl without him.  He had a rough start but was very solid down the stretch.  Losing your supposed CB1 for an entire season (again) could have spelled doom.  

There was also a time when Wilson and Pratt were down, and ADG and Bailey stepped up....even Bachie contributed.  Your example of BJ Hill was dead on.  

It gets me really excited about guys like Ossai and Sample being pieces of the puzzle.  Sample could take a huge leap...so could Kareem, and Ossai just looked so amazing in that very limited sample size.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2022, 06:31 PM)jason Wrote: I like Chris Evans. Do I think he's special?... No. I don't overly think Joe Mixon is either. I do know that Evans and another back are cheaper than Mixon moving forward though, and it's probably time to start moving that direction. I'd like to keep Tee Higgins and Ja'Marr Chase. I think not paying expendable RBs will help make that a reality. I'd like them to phase Evans in, and see what they have there.

Agreed on all and with a better line, we aren’t as desperate to have a top tier RB.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2022, 06:31 PM)jason Wrote: I like Chris Evans. Do I think he's special?... No. I don't overly think Joe Mixon is either. I do know that Evans and another back are cheaper than Mixon moving forward though, and it's probably time to start moving that direction. I'd like to keep Tee Higgins and Ja'Marr Chase. I think not paying expendable RBs will help make that a reality. I'd like them to phase Evans in, and see what they have there.

1,000 % agree

I don't hate Mixon and I'm not out to trash him. Is he a very good RB ? Yes I believe so. Is he a great RB ? I have my doubts. And like you say we don't need to sink mega millions in RB's. Good RB's, like Evans may be ? should be able to get the job done. We need to find that out.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2022, 09:21 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 3rd down in the Super Bowl in the 1st quarter and the coaches called on Perine. Final drive in the Super Bowl and the Bengals had Perine in it.

That doesn't sound like someone who is going to give up snaps to Evans. The coaches for whatever reason love them some Perine.

One is a vet and one was a rookie. Simple as that.
Reply/Quote
I hope Evans plays himself into a bigger role starting in camp. He’s got to earn his snaps like everyone else.
Reply/Quote