Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Chris Henry remembered
(11-11-2022, 08:33 PM)jason Wrote: Size and era aside they are not the same caliber of player. Chris was fun to watch, and the team fell apart when he went down in 09, but this is sorta silly. Chris was a pretty good WR. Nothin' more or less. I'd imagine Henry is all but forgotten outside of Bengals fans.

From that era I think Ja'Marr reminds me of Steve Smith.

As a huge SS fan, Chase is basically him but more finesse than bruiser. Smith didn’t really have the RAC ability Chase has but Steve had same caliber hands, probably a bette route runner and Steve was better at spectacular catches even though he was shorter
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2022, 08:44 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: I agree. And I know my opinion will get slaughtered (pile it on), but, I believe he was as good as, if not better, than Chase. He was truly a generational talent.

He did have that je ne sais quoi intangible. The game came so naturally to him. Looked so effortless.

I remember attending a game @ Monster Park/Candlestick, back when Mike Nolan was trying to start a trend for wearing Prada suits on the sideline. That's another story lol. But on that night Palmer and Henry connected on a bomb that to this day remains the most beautiful pass I've ever seen live. Slim found another gear behind the secondary, and Carson dropped it in there like an envelope in a mailbox. There were times when the two of them just looked unstoppable. 
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2022, 09:16 PM)Housh Wrote: As a huge SS fan, Chase is basically him but more finesse than bruiser. Smith didn’t really have the RAC ability Chase has but Steve had same caliber hands, probably a bette route runner and Steve was better at spectacular catches even though he was shorter

Steve Smith was pretty nice after the catch too though. Ja'Marr makes it look effortless. The 60 yarder (with a fractured hip no less) where he just sorta jogged past every Falcon comes to mind. I remember old man Steve Smith throwing Pacman to the ground and scoring a long TD against us... AJ Green answered right after that.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2022, 09:54 PM)tms Wrote: He did have that je ne sais quoi intangible. The game came so naturally to him. Looked so effortless.

I remember attending a game @ Monster Park/Candlestick, back when Mike Nolan was trying to start a trend for wearing Prada suits on the sideline. That's another story lol. But on that night Palmer and Henry connected on a bomb that to this day remains the most beautiful pass I've ever seen live. Slim found another gear behind the secondary, and Carson dropped it in there like an envelope in a mailbox. There were times when the two of them just looked unstoppable. 

Yep... I had a behind the offense (end zone seat) view of a long Palmer to Henry TD against Atlanta in 2006. Palmer just threw to the spot, and Chris got there. One of the coolest plays I've ever seen live.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2022, 09:54 PM)tms Wrote: He did have that je ne sais quoi intangible. The game came so naturally to him. Looked so effortless.

Again, I get the sensationalism because he's pass but he never once looked unstoppable in his entire career. He only had 2 games in his entire career over 100 yards. 

In those 2 games he had a catch rate of 50% on 18 targets, 1 touchdown, and 118 average. 
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2022, 06:17 PM)samhain Wrote: Saw his boy at the game last week.  He's about 6-4 and is apparently an 8th grader.  If he keeps his head on straight he'll be raking it in with NIL deals.

Yeah, and he will probably look like Calvin Johnson after he leaves OSU (if he ends up there...they offered him a scholarship already) because his mom is former Bengals Jonathan Fanane's sister.  A large Samaon combined with Henry's speed and length.  Whoa.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2022, 03:19 AM)TheFan Wrote: Again, I get the sensationalism because he's pass but he never once looked unstoppable in his entire career. He only had 2 games in his entire career over 100 yards. 

In those 2 games he had a catch rate of 50% on 18 targets, 1 touchdown, and 118 average. 

I'm not talking about fantasy football, personally. I couldn't care less for the stats or the consistency of his production. His grace and game speed weren't captured by his RAS either. So be it. He was a WR3 plagued by injuries and off-field troubles. Soft hands, athleticism, ideal frame, a calm under fire and a knack for the big play. His football talent was off the charts. He never fulfilled his potential but the point is that you'd see flashes of it and that's what kept you coming back for more.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2022, 11:37 AM)tms Wrote: I'm not talking about fantasy football, personally. I couldn't care less for the stats or the consistency of his production. His grace and game speed weren't captured by his RAS either. So be it. He was a WR3 plagued by injuries and off-field troubles. Soft hands, athleticism, ideal frame, a calm under fire and a knack for the big play. His football talent was off the charts. He never fulfilled his potential but the point is that you'd see flashes of it and that's what kept you coming back for more.

It's just really disappointing and that's something I think all can agree on.  Lost potential.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2022, 09:39 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yeah, and he will probably look like Calvin Johnson after he leaves OSU (if he ends up there...they offered him a scholarship already) because his mom is former Bengals Jonathan Fanane's sister.  A large Samaon combined with Henry's speed and length.  Whoa.  

Do they offer scholarships to all Samoans?.... I kid I kid.

On a side note... OSU is quickly becoming WRU. McLauren, Olave, Wilson, Thomas (before he became a ghost), and Samuel are pretty nice players. I'd expect as much from Harrison Jr.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2022, 08:33 PM)jason Wrote: Size and era aside they are not the same caliber of player. Chris was fun to watch, and the team fell apart when he went down in 09, but this is sorta silly. Chris was a pretty good WR. Nothin' more or less. I'd imagine Henry is all but forgotten outside of Bengals fans.

From that era I think Ja'Marr reminds me of Steve Smith.

Have said this before, completely agree. Both extremely tough Receivers with strong hands, Ja'Marr is a little bigger 
and faster though, with balance unlike any WR I have ever seen. But yeah, if I had to make a comparison it would be
Steve Smith when he was on the Panthers in his prime.
Reply/Quote
henry was a guy that got multiple chances but couldnt make good decisions cause football and money security wasnt important enough to him. folks can praise his talent all they want but he was a major disappointment as a player and a guy who couldnt grow up and be a man.

its awful the wat he died but he lived a crazy life an he never made any real effort to change. it finally caught up with him.
Reply/Quote
Popcorn
Reply/Quote
HENRY CHAD HOUZ best TRIO we've ever had. Short lived but unstoppable.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2022, 11:07 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: HENRY CHAD HOUZ  best TRIO we've ever had. Short lived but unstoppable.
i think after this season they will be second for best Trio.. we will need to compare 2005/06 with 2021/22 since those were the only two seasons Henry had a major contribution to the team
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2022, 11:07 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: HENRY CHAD HOUZ best TRIO we've ever had. Short lived but unstoppable.

Chad = Chase
Tee > TJ (Tee is much closer to a true #1)
Boyd > Henry

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2022, 11:18 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Chad = Chase
Tee > TJ (Tee is much closer to a true #1)
Boyd > Henry

I think Tee and Henry are/were deep receivers. It's between Boyd and TJ
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2022, 11:22 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: I think Tee and Henry were deep receivers. It's between Body and TJ

Tee is definitely better than Henry was. I was more going off WR1/2/3.

Reply/Quote
(11-10-2022, 08:44 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: I agree. And I know my opinion will get slaughtered (pile it on), but, I believe he was as good as, if not better, than Chase. He was truly a generational talent.

Not in this or any other universe. Henry was not better than Chase, he was not bettet than Chad, he was not better than AJ, and he wasn't even better than TJ. 
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2022, 12:50 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Not in this or any other universe. Henry was not better than Chase, he was not bettet than Chad, he was not better than AJ, and he wasn't even better than TJ. 

Agreed on all accounts. Henry was a great deep ball threat, but not better than the listed WRs or many other Bengals WRs.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2022, 11:07 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: HENRY CHAD HOUZ  best TRIO we've ever had. Short lived but unstoppable.

A very good group of WR's no doubt, but don't see them being better than Chase, Higgins, and Boyd. 

Percentage of catches per targets..........Rec Yds per games played.........TD percentage per catch

Chad...............55%.....................................66.6 yds ....................................0.087
Hushpuppy......63%.....................................49.5 yds......................................0.070
Henry..............51%.....................................33.2 yds......................................0.176

Chase..............63%......................................85.3 yds.....................................0.148
Higgins............65%......................................65.7 yds......................................0.082
Boyd................68%......................................53.2 yds......................................0.065

Chad and company caught 56.3 of the balls thrown their way for 149.3 yds per game
Chase and company catch  65.3% of balls thrown their way for....204.0 yds per game 

Henry does have elite % of TD's per catches, but missed 49% of the passes thrown his way and only averaged 33 yds per game played. 

Have fond memories of all these WR's listed, but todays group is more professional, more productive, and more consistent, and much better blockers imo. Thats no knock on the others though because they were great as well, just not as great.   

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote