Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chris Jones DT KC
Should Bengals target Chris Jones in FA, upside is he is a disruptor. Down side is he turns 30 next year. He won't be cheap, but could he help a DL with Trey, Hubbard, Carter, Murphy, Sample and others put pressure on the QB which helps our secondary?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Heck yes! Even at 30 he still is an interior force you have to account for.
Reply/Quote
Jones is seeking a contract in excess of $30MM per year and, as mentioned, will be 30 years old. If they can make it work, sure, go for it. However I am not convinced that it is the right move, considering the price tag.
Reply/Quote
I would still do it. Would be a better move than extending Tee. We still have to extend Chase, but Chris Jones would instantly make
our Defense better than about any other player.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2023, 07:32 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Jones is seeking a contract in excess of $30MM per year and, as mentioned, will be 30 years old. If they can make it work, sure, go for it. However I am not convinced that it is the right move, considering the price tag.

I don't see anyone paying Jones 30 million per year. But, I do see someone paying him 20 to 22 million per year. The guarantees have to be conservative since he is 30 years old.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Christian Wilkins DT Miami is the mid 20m a year player you really want the Bengals to sign.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2023, 10:59 AM)Synric Wrote: Christian Wilkins DT Miami is the mid 20m a year player you really want the Bengals to sign.

What would you say the likelihood of the Dolphins not re-signing him?  He seems to be an integral part of their defensive front.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2023, 11:12 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What would you say the likelihood of the Dolphins not re-signing him?  He seems to be an integral part of their defensive front.  

The Dolphins will probably have to tag him first at 20m but its not like they have a ton of cap space in 2024 and will be in signing windows for Tua and Waddle. The cap isnt as big an issue but the actual cash being paid. It will be an expensive year for the Dolphins.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2023, 10:59 AM)Synric Wrote: Christian Wilkins DT Miami is the mid 20m a year player you really want the Bengals to sign.

(12-28-2023, 11:25 AM)Synric Wrote: The Dolphins will probably have to tag him first at 20m but its not like they have a ton of cap space in 2024 and will be in signing windows for Tua and Waddle. The cap isnt as big an issue but the actual cash being paid. It will be an expensive year for the Dolphins.

Love this thought Synric. Cool
Reply/Quote
Of course you consider it but what's the actual likley hood of hin hitting the open Market? Same goes for Wilkins in Miami?

If it were me I would be looking at a trade for Christian Baramore from NE, Osa Odighizuwa from Dallas, and Darron Payne from DC. To a lesser extent Milton Williams from Phillyy, Grady Jarrett from Atlanta, and in free agency Lenorad Williams from Seattle
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2023, 04:03 PM)J24 Wrote: Of course you consider it but what's the actual likley hood of hin hitting the open Market? Same goes for Wilkins in Miami?

If it were me I would be looking at a trade for Christian Baramore from NE, Osa Odighizuwa from Dallas, and Darron Payne from DC.  To a lesser extent Milton Williams from Phillyy, Grady Jarrett from Atlanta, and in free agency Lenorad Williams from Seattle

Good names as well, crazy. We can certainly improve our Defense if we really want to, so many options.
Reply/Quote
Great player but he's turning 30 and will cost a LOT, probably on a multi year deal. Then some other disruptive DT will get a higher payday and he will probably hold out with a year left on his current deal.

Wts, it's not my money. If they can make it work, by all means...HAVE AT IT!
Reply/Quote
I'd honestly have no issue going after Jones. We desperately need to get some pass rush on the interior. Larry O and BJ Hill were a good tandem for us in 2021, but that 3T spot has been an issue for us the past two seasons. BJ Hill's snaps have increased and rumors are that the coaches were disappointed that he didn't take a step up when they handed him his new deal. Zach Carter was basically a project pick that the coaches and/or FO thought was going to be an instant answer and he's shown very little in his two seasons with us.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2023, 07:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I would still do it. Would be a better move than extending Tee. We still have to extend Chase, but Chris Jones would instantly make
our Defense better than about any other player.

Id rather get Fletcher Cox and draft some youngins. 
This team needs a serious upgrade across the D-Line 
Reply/Quote
His age gives me pause, but also there's the fact that in 15 playoff games he has just 2.0 sacks with both of them coming in one game against us last year when our starting OL included Adeniji, Carman, Volson, and Scharping. He also only has 10 QB Hits in those 15 games with 5 of them from that same game.

He'll certainly help get wins in the regular season, but I question how much help he'll actually be in lifting a Lombardi. If you're going to get $25-30m/yr, you need to be able to move the needle in the playoffs.

- - - - -
(Also-also our DL would be quite old then... age 30 season Hendrickson, age 29 season BJ Hill, age 30 season Chris Jones, age 29 season Hubbard... we need some youth injected into the DL.)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I don't expect them to get Jones but he would solve a lot of interior problems and give us needed time to draft and coach up an interior DL.
Reply/Quote
its never been in Bengals DNA to go after and be successful in getting these top tier FAs. This would take more then a Rubys steakhouse dinner with Joe Burrow but throw in maybe with Orlando Brown? LOL
I like the Wilkins idea but no way Miami lets him go. Ill never forget the day he got drafted and how happy and excited he was and picking up Goodell. Seems like a great kid.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2023, 11:41 AM)kalibengal Wrote: Id rather get Fletcher Cox and draft some youngins. 
This team needs a serious upgrade across the D-Line 

Dude, Fletcher Cox is like 40 or somethin'. I know that isn't old for anybody not playing football but that is old for anyone playing football.

He looked bad in the last 3 Eagles games I have watched as well. Think he fell off the cliff.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2023, 02:17 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: His age gives me pause, but also there's the fact that in 15 playoff games he has just 2.0 sacks with both of them coming in one game against us last year when our starting OL included Adeniji, Carman, Volson, and Scharping. He also only has 10 QB Hits in those 15 games with 5 of them from that same game.

He'll certainly help get wins in the regular season, but I question how much help he'll actually be in lifting a Lombardi. If you're going to get $25-30m/yr, you need to be able to move the needle in the playoffs.

- - - - -
(Also-also our DL would be quite old then... age 30 season Hendrickson, age 29 season BJ Hill, age 30 season Chris Jones, age 29 season Hubbard... we need some youth injected into the DL.)

Good points, need some clutch play in our new pass rushing DT.
Reply/Quote
I stand corrected, Jones is close to 30 million a year. Good news is KC may not be able to keep him either.
Chris Jones
EMBED THIS
CHIEFS, DT
Exp:7 Years
Drafted:Round 2 (#37 overall), 2016
College:Mississippi State
Agent(s):Jason Katz (Katz Brothers Sports)

ACTIVE
Contract Details Career Earnings Transactions Fines & Suspensions Statistics Market Value
Calculated Market Value
$28.9M

AVG. ANNUAL SALARY
Market Value
3 yrs, $86,779,749
Avg. Salary: $28,926,583
NFL Rank: 21
DT Rank: 2
Current Contract
Free Agent: 2024
Avg. Salary: $19,500,000
NFL Rank: 67
DT Rank: 8

Reply/Quote