Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Offseason Acquisitions vs Seattle
It will be interesting to see how they approach a full offseason after having a season to learn the roster. I think they will be more active. Zac got a late start and it took forever to find a DC. With the draft looming I think their hands were tied with sheer work load. They were still watching last years tape to see what they inherited in the first place, trying to hire a staff and scout the draft. That was a tough way to start and he did it pretty good all things considering.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 09:08 PM)Joelist Wrote: Can you get Saffold’s ratings split by run and pass? How about Millers?

Miller allowed no sacks. Don’t know about Saffold.

Miller also costs 16 million over three years while Saffold was a 44 million contract.

As I told him in another thread, Saffold gave up one sack on something like 10 less pass attempts.

Let him pretend his boy Saffold would've radically changed the game, guys, it's pretty much all he's got at this point. He was all in on the "Watch out for the Browns" and "ZT and this coaching staff aren't possibly ready" trains and both were taken away from him for the week. He wants to be right about something after making about 200 posts last week bashing ZT so let's just give him this one, especially since he can use it all season because we'll never know if he was right or wrong.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 11:35 PM)bengaloo Wrote: It will be interesting to see how they approach a full offseason after having a season to learn the roster. I think they will be more active. Zac got a late start and it took forever to find a DC. With the draft looming I think their hands were tied with sheer work load. They were still watching last years tape to see what they inherited in the first place, trying to hire a staff and scout the draft. That was a tough way to start and he did it pretty good all things considering.

And then go across country and play in the lion's den the very first game of your career without your best offensive player or your LT.

It was a very promising start.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 09:28 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's funny how a 1 point loss to Seattle is like a SB win for some of you...

Nobody is acting like it is, and that's the same stupid thing Steelers fans say every time we beat them.

This is a fan forum after week 1 in the NFL. Fans want to get excited for the rest of the year. It's not hard to understand why people are excited.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 09:28 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's funny how a 1 point loss to Seattle is like a SB win for some of you...

When you can't deal with reality build a strawman to knock down, right?

Your desperation is showing.

LOL
Reply/Quote

The loss sucked, no doubt. They shot themselves in the foot more than once, which caused them to lose a game they should've won.

IMO, they looked like the better team Sunday, even with the mistakes and missed opportunities. When you look at the game as a whole, I think there is legitimate reason for some optimism and excitement. 

It seems like you're laser focused on the negatives, which is your right and there definitely were some, but not really giving the same weight to the positive things we saw in the first game.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 09:28 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I've said that Vigil is decent as a 3rd LB, but if he's your #1 you're in trouble. Brown is what he is too. Not the fastest guy, but above average against the run...and struggles against the pass.

But, we absolutely could use a #1 LB.

There will be teams that can target those 2 with passes.

Instead of having an actual good 3rd LB, we put Webb on the field who was terrible.

It's funny how a 1 point loss to Seattle is like a SB win for some of you...

We held the #1 rushing team last year to 3 yards per carry. What was struggling against the run this week in terms of our linebackers?

What does Webb being on the field have to do with a linebacker? Webb is on the field because they have three WR's on the field. If you want to put three linebackers on the field against 11 personnel you give up 400+ yards to Andy Dalton like the Seahawks did.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 01:51 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: The loss sucked, no doubt. They shot themselves in the foot more than once, which caused them to lose a game they should've won.

IMO, they looked like the better team Sunday, even with the mistakes and missed opportunities. When you look at the game as a whole, I think there is legitimate reason for some optimism and excitement. 

It seems like you're laser focused on the negatives, which is your right and there definitely were some, but not really giving the same weight to the positive things we saw in the first game.

I'd say on offense, Ross was the big positive. If he can keep getting 4-5 catches a game and stretching the field, that's huge.

On defense: Hubbard and Billings. We knew Atkins and Dunlap were good. Also Preston Brown looked good.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 07:40 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It really is huge though.

McVay got signed to coach the Rams and they've added several quality players.

The guys we added, contribute very little.

The board is generally excited by a 1 point loss. Imagine IF we actually added 2-3 quality players.

I hear some team up North added 2-3 quality players.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 02:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I hear some team up North added 2-3 quality players.

You could say we did add 2-3 quality players, in a way: John Ross, Tyler Eifert, Preston Brown, Nick Vigil, and Carl Lawson were basically complete nonfactors for most of last season.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 02:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I hear some team up North added 2-3 quality players.

I’m hoping Kitchens is in over his head. He was severely out coached in his first game.

Meanwhile Taylor went toe-to-toe with Pete Carroll.

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 10:47 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m hoping Kitchens is in over his head. He was severely out coached in his first game.

I think it's likely. Kitchens has pretty much looked like he was in over his head since the get go, sparing with the media on multiple occasions. Then his team drops a huge dud on week 1 against a mediocre Tennessee team. People around here love pointing to ZT and his lack of experience, but they always forget to mention Kitchens or hold his inexperience against the Browns. Now he has to deal with his first prime time game after a week in which one of his players wife died in a terrible accident... I'm not sure he's shown he's prepared for that.

ZT, for all the attacks levied towards him over the offseason by some, did nothing this offseason to suggest he wasn't ready. I certainly can't think of any missteps he made along the way, and then he has his team ready to go week 1. He looks ready.
Reply/Quote
As a Bengal fan I'm glad they didn't hire Greg Williams as the interim they were playing with discipline and energy last season. This year not so much. The D looks to have taken a couple of steps back as well.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 10:47 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m hoping Kitchens is in over his head. He was severely out coached in his first game.

He could at least ask OBJ to help keep time on the field. He is wearing a watch after all
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
But, but, but...MARVIN! 
C'mon guys! It's never too late to harp on Marvin!  
That's it. I've decided to dedicate the last decades of my life harping on nothing but Marvin just because...That way I'll never have to worry about being accused of being imaginative.  ThumbsUp
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote