Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chris Smith Visited
(03-04-2020, 04:48 PM)Synric Wrote: Wren didnt show much because he only received 155 snaps and alot were in heavy packages. I could see Wren gaining a larger role in year two.

Yeah, I sure hope he lives up to his nickname.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 04:41 PM)jj22 Wrote: Hobs said a couple weeks ago we are officially a 3-4 with 4-3 looks.

I don't remember him saying that.

I do remember him saying that it'll be more of a hybrid, though always being in Nickel means we'll have 4 down lineman more often than not anyways.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 04:07 PM)Synric Wrote: But as a backup 34 OLB he adds depth to a defense in transition. 

Chris Smith visit plus the Derek Wolfe (34 DE) makes it look like they are transitioning the defense.

Wouldn’t be against a 3-4 are defense can’t get any worse lol but it would take more recourses to transition because I think we lack the personnel. My thing is your gonna pay Dunlap and Atkins big money to be 3-4 DE ‘s ? Far as NT Tupou has the size to play the position. I know they had Hubbard stand up a few times but I feel like his best position is as a 4-3 end. I like Lawson as a rusher just wouldn’t trust him in coverage in a 3-4. We also need to add a ton of resources towards the linebacker position considering you need more to run a 3-4. If we really are going to a 3-4 a guy like Zack Baun could make more sense at pick 33 as a outside rusher.
Reply/Quote
I expect some of the more knowledgeable football guys on the board will think I am simplistic but I have wanted them to go to a 3-4 for years.

Deception is a big part of the defense in the NFL and it seems to me that a 3-4 creates the possibility of more options coming from the defense as the opposing QB is trying to guess what is coming.

Pretty sure we ran a 3-4 the year we lost the Super Bowl to the Niners in Detroit but maybe my memory is wrong.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 05:54 PM)bengals67 Wrote: I expect some of the more knowledgeable football guys on the board will think I am simplistic but I have wanted them to go to a 3-4 for years.

Deception is a big part of the defense in the NFL and it seems to me that a 3-4 creates the possibility of more options coming from the defense as the opposing QB is trying to guess what is coming.

Pretty sure we ran a 3-4 the year we lost the Super Bowl to the Niners in Detroit but maybe my memory is wrong.

You would be correct.  Defensive Coordinator Hank Bullough ran a 3-4.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cin/1981_roster.htm

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Ohhh sh**! Mikey is proving us all wrong now. This is the HUGE splash guys!
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 06:24 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: Ohhh sh**! Mikey is proving us all wrong now. This is the HUGE splash guys!

You can't talk to the big names yet as the league year hasn't started.

Pipe down FFS.

Edit* you MUST be on Cincy Jungle, as that was the only other place people were spouting this crap.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-prime-for-combine-don-t-forget-the-defense

Quote:But it's also a major event for the Bengals defense and its staff as coordinator Lou Anarumo. He continues to develop his hybrid 3-4 scheme that began to take shape last year during his first season and they hope to have a big haul picking at the top of every round.

Quote:The Bengals may not be able to quench their thirst for linebackers in this draft and the corners are going to go fast, although they may be able to make some hay up front. Anarumo points out that his 3-4 is interchangeable because 65 to 70 percent of the time they're in some kind of a four-man line on passing downs.

We are a 3-4. I feel like the cat is out the bag. A hybrid/interchangeable 3-4 but his scheme is a 3-4. That's how I took this article.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 06:55 PM)jj22 Wrote: https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-prime-for-combine-don-t-forget-the-defense

We are a 3-4. I feel like the cat is out the bag. A hybrid/interchangeable 3-4 but his scheme is a 3-4. That's how I took this article.

https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-prime-for-combine-don-t-forget-the-defense

Quote: Wrote:But it's also a major event for the Bengals defense and its staff as coordinator Lou Anarumo. He continues to develop his hybrid 3-4 scheme that began to take shape last year during his first season and they hope to have a big haul picking at the top of every round.

Quote: Wrote:The Bengals may not be able to quench their thirst for linebackers in this draft and the corners are going to go fast, although they may be able to make some hay up front. Anarumo points out that his 3-4 is interchangeable because 65 to 70 percent of the time they're in some kind of a four-man line on passing downs.

I too, remembered reading that.  Glad that you took the time to show it to the rest of us.  And, I think that the Bengals moving to be a 3-4 base is a good thing.  As they infuse the correct personnel, and the existing vets get used to playing a 3-4, the amount of time that they'll have to spend in Nickle should decrease.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 06:55 PM)jj22 Wrote: https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-prime-for-combine-don-t-forget-the-defense

Didn't see this before, we talk about it every Offseason and it never happens. Most of the best Defenses now are 3-4 and it
is a good time to make the change. I am taking this as we are more likely to take a 3-4 LB or a CB in the 2nd if they don't 
address these needs in FA. A Safety like Delpit would be awesome.

Makes me think they may address OL in FA which makes me feel better.

The Defense will take some time in this transition to be sure.

I just hope with Burrow coming in, us improving the OL, adding a WR in this deep WR class can score us a lot of points to 
make it easier in the transition.

(03-04-2020, 07:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-prime-for-combine-don-t-forget-the-defense

I too, remembered reading that.  Glad that you took the time to show it to the rest of us.  And, I think that the Bengals moving to be a 3-4 base is a good thing.  As they infuse the correct personnel, and the existing vets get used to playing a 3-4, the amount of time that they'll have to spend in Nickle should decrease.

I honestly think a lot of our players could thrive in a 3-4...

Hubbard, Geno, Dunlap, Pratt and even Lawson if he can learn to cover a touch.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 07:27 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Didn't see this before, we talk about it every Offseason and it never happens. Most of the best Defenses now are 3-4 and it
is a good time to make the change. I am taking this as we are more likely to take a 3-4 LB or a CB in the 2nd if they don't 
address these needs in FA. A Safety like Delpit would be awesome.

Makes me think they may address OL in FA which makes me feel better.

The Defense will take some time in this transition to be sure.

I just hope with Burrow coming in, us improving the OL, adding a WR in this deep WR class can score us a lot of points to 
make it easier in the transition.

I honestly think a lot of our players could thrive in a 3-4...

Hubbard, Geno, Dunlap, Pratt and even Lawson if he can learn to cover a touch.

I'm hyped over a 3-4, because it relies heavily on having outstanding Safeties.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 07:58 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm hyped over a 3-4, because it relies heavily on having outstanding Safeties.

Man I am hoping Delpit is there at 33... Pray
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 08:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Man I am hoping Delpit is there at 33... Pray

You and me both, as that would truly signify a change in philosophy in both scheme and draft protocol for the modern day Bengals.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 08:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You and me both, as that would truly signify a change in philosophy in both scheme and draft protocol for the modern day Bengals.

I heard people keep saying that he sucks at tackling and that is the reason he could fall out of the first.

I hope they keep pedaling that bullshit. He was only poor at tackling early in the year when he was banged up.
Reply/Quote
If Delpit is there at 33 and we dont take him, I'm going to send them a picture of my middle finger. Im not really sold on any of our S's at this point. I miss having a guy as good as Nelson. Its time we find one. Delpit has game changer potential.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 09:08 PM)bengaloo Wrote: If Delpit is there at 33 and we dont take him, I'm going to send them a picture of my middle finger. Im not really sold on any of our S's at this point. I miss having a guy as good as Nelson. Its time we find one. Delpit has game changer potential.

If Grant Delpit isn't there when we pick, or even if he is and they pass for LB, the smart money would go on Jeremy Chinn at the top of the 4th.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Smith signed with Panthers

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 08:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Man I am hoping Delpit is there at 33... Pray
The CBS mock I'm looking at has him there. However, they have Delpit going to the Dolphins @ 39.

They have the Bengals taking Neville Gallimore DT Oklahoma @ 33....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2020, 07:53 PM)JSR18 Wrote: The CBS mock I'm looking at has him there. However, they have Delpit going to the Dolphins @ 39.

They have the Bengals taking Neville Gallimore DT  Oklahoma @ 33....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I don't dislike that pick either, just would prefer Delpit at this moment for us.

Blacklock is another DT I would like at 33 if we make good moves at LB and at OL in FA.
Reply/Quote
I remember when the Bills kept saying that they were "going to a 3-4" before they had the guys to do it.  They abandoned that scheme before long and tried to hook the fans with "we're moving back to a 4-3!"  Those defenses were abysmal.  Absolutely rudderless and uninspiring.  The team basically came out and said that they were shifting defensive schemes solely for the purpose of hyping up their roster full of dudes who couldn't play defense.  I'm hoping that this whole "we're base hybrid" thing is just a smokescreen.  Most good 3-4 teams line up in 4-3 and try to beat you straight up over 70% of the time anyway.  It's mostly about how they line up and blitz you on obvious passing downs, which any team can change up.
Reply/Quote