Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Chris Smith enigma
The guy came out of nowhere and looked very impressive in the preseason. To be honest I did not even know who he was going into training camp.

In the first three games of the regular season he had 10 tackles and 1.5 sacks.

Then he seemed to disappear. Over the final 13 games he only had 1.5 sacks and 16 tackles. I thought it was because his playing time was cut, but when I looked up his snap totals he averaged 28 per game on defense over his first three games and 24.4 for the final 13.

So what happened to this guy? He was not some rookie or second year player who was supposed to improve dramatically. This was his 4th season in the league and he had not done much his first three years (19 games, 19 tkls, 4.5 sacks)

Thoughts?
Reply/Quote
Willis started seeing more time outside and they played Chris Smith alot more inside as a pass rusher. I don't think it suited him.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
#He quit on Marvin and the team
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 08:11 PM)Synric Wrote: Willis started seeing more time outside and they played Chris Smith alot more inside as a pass rusher. I don't think it suited him.

Ding.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 08:11 PM)Synric Wrote: Willis started seeing more time outside and they played Chris Smith alot more inside as a pass rusher. I don't think it suited him.

Lined up at DT two yards off the ball
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 08:55 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Lined up at DT two yards off the ball

Yep, have no idea what that was about. Looked very out of place so far off the LOS.
Reply/Quote
So the Bengals managed to turn 1 positive into 2 negatives. Shocker
Reply/Quote
I think he is a good player who got lost in the shuffle. Lawson, Johnson, and Willis all played his spots on third downs.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
sounds like Paul G was just trying to get all of his best rushers on the field regardless of position
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 08:58 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Yep, have no idea what that was about. Looked very out of place so far off the LOS.

Gives the smaller faster guy more space to use his speed.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 11:50 PM)TKUHL Wrote: So the Bengals managed to turn 1 positive into 2 negatives. Shocker

What does this even mean?
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2018, 01:17 AM)Synric Wrote: Gives the smaller faster guy more space to use his speed.

Sounds like the old Cowboys "Flex" defense.
Reply/Quote

I noticed that too. I'm still trying to figure out why 94 and 90 just didn't permanently switch roles.

Smith played ok at that position, I recall seeing him around the ball a lot, but never getting home.  He was certainly better suited outside.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I hope we can re-sign him. See what Austin can do with him. He had loads of talent coming out of Arkansas. We always seems to feast on Jaguar scraps.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
I like Smith and the depth he provides on the line. For all the crap we get for a small scouting department that was a good job of scouting a "back up the roster guy" from another team and going out and getting him to help.
Reply/Quote
Mhm, I was impressed with him all year; like was said; even if he didn't get home every time, he was always around the ball, like Dunlap.

My hope, is that Willis and Lawson develop enough in the next couple of years, so that we are set at DE and that Smith can go off to an NFC team we never see and tears it up; don't really have the space for one of these DEs, long-term and you just know the Bengals will draft their guys here and there, who are going to take Smith's spot anyways.

Hope he sticks for another year at least.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2018, 01:20 AM)fredtoast Wrote: What does this even mean?

It means Smith was playing better outside. He disappeared when they played him inside with Willis outside. I don't think Willis performed as well as Smith would have.
Reply/Quote
I like Chris Smith, always around the ball off the edge. Actually thought they should of used him more in MJ's role at times
and not so much as a DT like MJ should of been used more of. MJ actually was decent as a DT on passing downs. Still really
like Willis for the future more of course but Chris Smith is a fine rotational pass rusher off the edge IMO.
Reply/Quote
Smith was OK. Not a must re-sign tho.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
He's a decent player. I wish him luck with his new team (unless it's the Steelers).
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote