Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chris smith signing with Cleveland
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/3/13/17116910/browns-signing-former-bengals-de-chris-smith-free-agency

If Davenport slips to 21 he could be an option now.

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 05:24 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/3/13/17116910/browns-signing-former-bengals-de-chris-smith-free-agency

Kinda wished we'd have kept him. 
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
He has 7.5 career sacks. That seems like a decent chunk of change for a guy who's been in the league as long as he has and produced so little. I liked him in spot duty last year, but you can get that production for much cheaper.
Reply/Quote
Yeah I wouldn’t have signed him for that much, that should give us a 5th/6th comp pick though!!?
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 05:28 PM)NKYRob Wrote: He has 7.5 career sacks. That seems like a decent chunk of change for a guy who's been in the league as long as he has and produced so little.  I liked him in spot duty last year, but you can get that production for much cheaper.

That is a lot of money.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Well.... Bye.

What a shock, Cleveland overpaying again LOL
Reply/Quote
well when other teams have money to blow you lose guys...

3 year 14 mil isn't a huge deal... I don't blame him on cashing in though with Lawson set to get more snaps his chance to shine here was gonna slim down I think.

Funny how now some don't want him to go but when we traded for him it was the worst move ever lol (but what move isn't around these boards)
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 05:24 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/3/13/17116910/browns-signing-former-bengals-de-chris-smith-free-agency

If Davenport slips to 21 he could be an option now.

Wouldn't be against Davenport. Thankfully we got our LT so we don't have to draft one in the first.

(03-13-2018, 05:26 PM)McC Wrote: Kinda wished we'd have kept him. 

Yeah, but the Stains overpaid him, oh well.
Reply/Quote
Oh well. I don't see this as a real loss. We still have Lawson and Willis. I figure this just further entrenches Michael Johnson's spot.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 06:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Wouldn't be against Davenport. Thankfully we got our LT so we don't have to draft one in the first.

Yeah, but the Stains overpaid him, oh well.

Oh now everyone should know we are in prime CB/TE territory with the first round pick now.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 07:06 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Oh now everyone should know we are in prime CB/TE territory with the first round pick now.

Could be, i guess i wouldn't hate it with Adam and Eifert most likely gone.

Haven't really looked at the CB's in this Draft before this but Gesicki could definately be an Eifert type player.
Reply/Quote
Everyone claiming that the Browns overpaid Smith? Whatevs.

I would much rather seen the Bengals cut MJ, and sign Smith for what the Browns gave him.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 07:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Everyone claiming that the Browns overpaid Smith?  Whatevs.

I would much rather seen the Bengals cut MJ, and sign Smith for what the Browns gave him.

How many pressures and sacks did Chris Smith have last year i wonder?
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 07:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: How many pressures and sacks did Chris Smith have last year i wonder?

I haven't looked it up, but he sure appeared to be productive when he was out there.

I think that I get it now, he seemed to disappear the back end of the season.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/16917/chris-smith

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 07:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I haven't looked it up, but he sure appeared to be productive when he was out there.

I think that I get it now, he seemed to disappear the back end of the season.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/16917/chris-smith

Yeah, after that great Preseason he wasn't quite as good of a pass rusher as i was hoping.

Still, i agree that i would of rather had him here than MJ, i give Smith the edge there.
Reply/Quote
Cut MJ too.

Don't care if Smith is gone.

Use money elsewhere and draft backups... well...  to be backups!!

That's all they both really are anyways.  Whatever
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Holy crap. 3 years, $14 mill for Chris Smith? Way higher than I thought. Glad Bengals aren’t going to pay that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 08:00 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Cut MJ too.

Ya know, it's funny that you said that they're both backups.  I just got off the phone with my son (Browns fan), and had a good laugh telling him how the Browns just signed a backup DE for 3 years and 14M.  At first he was thinking, alright maybe he's worth it?  Then I went on to explain that this year for us he only had 26 tackles and 3 sacks, but only 3 tackles and no sacks the last 5 games of the season.  Then, the young man was agreeing with me.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 08:00 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Cut MJ too.

MJ definately should not be paid like he is a starter, that is for sure.

Backup rotational DT on passing downs is how he should be paid if we keep him around.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 08:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Ya know, it's funny that you said that they're both backups.  I just got off the phone with my son (Browns fan), and had a good laugh telling him how the Browns just signed a backup DE for 3 years and 14M.  At first he was thinking, alright maybe he's worth it?  Then I went on to explain that this year for us he only had 26 tackles and 3 sacks, but only 3 tackles and no sacks the last 5 games of the season.  Then, the young man was agreeing with me.

This is kinda like when they didn't keep Fanane and Rucker.

I really liked those players though.

They just wanted too much money for the level of play and it was understandable.

Why anyone would care about either Smith or MJ would be beyond me.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote