Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christian Westerman
(01-15-2017, 02:50 AM)BengalChris Wrote: My guess is that the team will let Zeitler walk and insert Westerman in his place.

I guess this because the team has never paid top dollars for a G and Zeitler is going to want top dollar.

We'll keep Bodine at C (1 year left on his rookie deal) simply because he'll be cheap and Paul Alexander is having a love affair with him.

But, before Zeitler, when had they ever spent a first on a G?  Maybe Big Z is the trend breaker.  Probably not.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2017, 10:10 PM)McC Wrote: But, before Zeitler, when had they ever spent a first on a G?  Maybe Big Z is the trend breaker.  Probably not.

In general...the Bengals neglect their lines. They'll draft Tackles high, but they generally want skill players.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2017, 10:33 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: In general...the Bengals neglect their lines. They'll draft Tackles high, but they generally want skill players.

Which is odd, because in this age of football the team that rushes the passer and blocks better for their own passer usually dominates the game.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I watched Travis Frederick for much of the GB-Dallas game. Damn is he good.

*Tremendously athletic, pulled and led the way for sweeps.

*Strong at the point of attack. On inside running plays, drove the NT back as part of double team, then left and picked up LB.

*Solid in pass protection.

So this is what an NFL center looks like. I had forgotten.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2017, 10:33 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: In general...the Bengals neglect their lines. They'll draft Tackles high, but they generally want skill players.

Yep.  They get their C's off the scrap heap and act like they've done something epic when they spend a 4th on one.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2017, 10:44 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: I watched Travis Frederick for much of the GB-Dallas game.  Damn is he good.

*Strong at the point of attack.  On inside running plays, drove the NT back as part of double team, then left and picked up LB.

Well, we could never do anything like that.

Don't ask me why cause I don't know. But that must be Mikey's view of the matter.

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2017, 10:44 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: I watched Travis Frederick for much of the GB-Dallas game.  Damn is he good.

*Strong at the point of attack.  On inside running plays, drove the NT back as part of double team, then left and picked up LB.

Yeah, imagine if we had a Center like that. Shocked
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2017, 02:50 AM)BengalChris Wrote: My guess is that the team will let Zeitler walk and insert Westerman in his place.

Which is exactly why Westerman was drafted. They will offer Zeitler a team friendly deal that is fair to both, but if he holds out for the larger payday which will inevitably come, then they will let him go. That was the plan for Ogbuehi and Fisher knowing that first Smith, and then Whit were coming due. But Ogbuehi's suckitude this season has thrown a wrench in that plan. They will now have to retain Whitworth for at least one more year. Ogbuehi sucking probably cost us Zeitler. Same plan was in place by drafting WJIII to replace Kirkpatrick if he walks. Thats just how the Bengals do business. 
Reply/Quote
The Steeler "found" the money to retain DeCastro and have a pro bowl center in Poouncy.

Guys with more football knowledge then me, please educate me- but

I notice how the Steelers O line does not allow penetration allowing Bell to take his time to pick the open spots.

I never see our O line do this

Am I seeing this correctly and if so why can the Steelers line do this while ours cannot.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2017, 03:09 PM)bengals67 Wrote: The Steeler "found" the money to retain DeCastro and have a pro bowl center in Poouncy.

I notice how the Steelers O line does not allow penetration allowing Bell to take his time to pick the open spots.

Am I seeing this correctly and if so why can the Steelers line do this while ours cannot.

Cause the Steelers are allowed to hold nearly every play and we have PA as our O-line coach.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2017, 07:32 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Or a guy like elflien 2 time all American at guard one time all American at Center best center in country this year. Gives us versatility to use at guard in a pinch. 
I should have known you lived in Columbus,We could take alot of TOSU players with this draft lol
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2017, 03:51 PM)Buckeyes420 Wrote: I should have known you lived in Columbus,We could take alot of TOSU players with this draft lol

lol hey last year wanted Thomas and that was it. This year just want elflien and McMillan. 
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2017, 02:30 PM)Beaker Wrote: Which is exactly why Westerman was drafted. They will offer Zeitler a team friendly deal that is fair to both, but if he holds out for the larger payday which will inevitably come, then they will let him go. That was the plan for Ogbuehi and Fisher knowing that first Smith, and then Whit were coming due. But Ogbuehi's suckitude this season has thrown a wrench in that plan. They will now have to retain Whitworth for at least one more year. Ogbuehi sucking probably cost us Zeitler. Same plan was in place by drafting WJIII to replace Kirkpatrick if he walks. Thats just how the Bengals do business. 

Yep. You nailed it. Just like Eifert was drafted to replace Gresham. Fans thought the Bengals were going to unleash some creative 2 TE sets...nope. It was done so they could replace an upcoming free agent.

There is a decent chance this year that our 1st Round pick will be used the same way.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2017, 03:09 PM)bengals67 Wrote: The Steeler "found" the money to retain DeCastro and have a pro bowl center in Poouncy.

Pouncey is soo much better than our Center.

We have 2 weak links on our line...Center and RT. It's as simple as that.

Boling, Zeitler, and Whitworth are top notch lineman.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2017, 12:38 AM)McC Wrote: Yep.  They get their C's off the scrap heap and act like they've done something epic when they spend a 4th on one.

Hey now, we traded up in the 4th to get him. He must be something really special. It isn't like they drafted some dude who has never snapped the ball in a shotgun formation before... Ninja

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2017, 09:32 PM)McC Wrote: He'll probably be too busy playing RG when Zeitler leaves.

If this happens, I don't ever want to hear Marvin Lewis say "We build through the draft".

You drafted one of the best young guards. We've seen what good offensive lines can do. Next year, we have a chance at seeing Ogbuehi, Boling, Bodine, Westerman, and Fisher as our offensive line. Dalton is going to get killed if they let that happen.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2017, 02:30 PM)Beaker Wrote: Which is exactly why Westerman was drafted. They will offer Zeitler a team friendly deal that is fair to both, but if he holds out for the larger payday which will inevitably come, then they will let him go. That was the plan for Ogbuehi and Fisher knowing that first Smith, and then Whit were coming due. But Ogbuehi's suckitude this season has thrown a wrench in that plan. They will now have to retain Whitworth for at least one more year. Ogbuehi sucking probably cost us Zeitler. Same plan was in place by drafting WJIII to replace Kirkpatrick if he walks. Thats just how the Bengals do business. 

Yep, but lately it hasn't been panning out all that well.

We've yet to replace Peko even though we've drafted a ton of DTs. We can't seem to replace Michael Johnson either. And Oggieboggie boy has such a long ways to go.

We've been decent at drafting receivers and TEs. We've drafted a ton of corners but one starter (Adam Jones) was brought in off the scrap heap. Dennard is heading into the final year of his rookie deal (if the team doesn't exercise its option) and he's yet to show us much.

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2017, 03:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Eh, Sanu was an early pick. Westerman was one of the most solid Guards in last years draft. Billings
was my favorite DT in that draft. The draft is a crapshoot every year and is the reason it pretty much
doesn't matter where you are drafted.

Depth is the reason good players fall.

If coached up correctly both Westerman and especially Billings could be great.

Problem is our coaches. I actually have hope for Billings though cause of Guenther.

PA coaching up Westerman? Not so much.

You know it. :andy:

Westerman was very good in college at pass blocking and run blocking. He was a very solid pick and a
steal in the 5th round. Showed in Preseason. The coaches just don't play good players until injuries
happen. PA is terrible at identifying talent, see Bodine as his favorite Center in that draft.

But we got lucky with Westerman IMHO.

Hard to get playing time in front of Zeitler and Boling
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2017, 12:58 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Hard to get playing time in front of Zeitler and Boling

Another bad call from Marvin Lewis. Like activating Peerman over WJ3. Boling played the majority of the year with a shoulder that was hurt. 

See if your young healthy guy can play? HEEEELLLLLL Nooo. Game experience is worthless in developing a player, stick with the guy who has a bad shoulder. 

I dont know if the initial injury caused the need for surgery. Or playing through injury caused it. 

Pretty crazy your starting guard has a bad shoulder the majority of the year and you cant get your hand selected draft pick one freaking snap.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2017, 12:58 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Hard to get playing time in front of Zeitler and Boling

(01-18-2017, 01:17 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Another bad call from Marvin Lewis. Like activating Peerman over WJ3. Boling played the majority of the year with a shoulder that was hurt. 

See if your young healthy guy can play? HEEEELLLLLL Nooo. Game experience is worthless in developing a player, stick with the guy who has a bad shoulder. 

I dont know if the initial injury caused the need for surgery. Or playing through injury caused it. 

Pretty crazy your starting guard has a bad shoulder the majority of the year and you cant get your hand selected draft pick one freaking snap.

What Nati here said. Westerman you think would of played ahead of an UDFA Center in TJ Johnson.

Probably should of been started earlier when the shoulder injury occured to Boling.

TJ played well against the Ravens i will give him that, but still, Westerman was our pick for the future
and doesn't get a snap in these meaningless games? This is terrible decisions all the way around and
the biggest reason why our team could be in trouble still on Offense.

Getting mixed thoughts here from the FO and the analysts. Hope they are planning bring back Zeitler.

Would of been different if they played Westerman and he looked good but we don't know what he will
play like now. We have no idea and neither do the coaches, similar to Og the year before we started
him at RT and flushed our season down the toilet.
Reply/Quote