Poll: Who would you rather have?
Rashan Gary
Christian Wilkins
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christian Wilkins or Rashan Gary?
I think Christian Wilkins and Rashan Gary are on opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to the type of player they are vs what potential they have.

Christian Wilkins has been a productive force for Clemson his entire collegiate career, is well refined, but not considered quite as elite athletically as Rashan Gary. In other words, he has a (very) high floor but not an ultra-high ceiling. He's pretty much the definition of a safe above-average quality starter for the NFL.

Rashan Gary, on the other hand, is much more potential rather than production at this point. He lit up the Combine with his display of athleticism. He's been discussed as playing too much DE at Michigan and would be best served at DT in the NFL to take advantage of his strengths and mask his weaknesses. He's the definition of a gamble.

So given how different these two guys are coming into the draft, which would you take if you had to pick between them? The safe guy who may already be near his potential, or the unrefined one who could be otherworldly dominant if he can get the proper coaching he needs and put into the best position to succeed?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm taking Wilkins over Gary 100%. Rashan Gary looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.
Reply/Quote
I voted Wilkins. He's a lunch pail player that you know will perform at his expected level. The type of player that a team can just plug and play, and move onto bigger issues.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Wilkins for me. I would rather have Zach Allen than Gary. Not sure why the Bengals have had meetings with Gary, Ferguson, and Polite but not Allen.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2019, 02:01 PM)SErebel11 Wrote: Wilkins for me. I would rather have Zach Allen than Gary. Not sure why the Bengals have had meetings with Gary, Ferguson, and Polite but not Allen.

It's likely because Zach Allen looked very bad at the senior bowl every offensive tackle there shut him down without issues.

As to the OP I would go Rashan Gary. In Gary your getting a solid edge defender especially against the run with alot of pass rush upside outside with the ability to move inside.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Wilkins

This team has had way to many projects over the last several seasons.
Reply/Quote
Wilkins. Gary isn't going to magically transform from a 5.5 sack player against college kids into a sack monster against NFL guys. He also seems like he'd perform best as a 3-4 DE. Wilkins seems solid but unspectacular. I'd prefer quite a few d-line prospects to either of them tbh.  
Reply/Quote
Wilkins and its not really close for me.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I wouldn't be mad if we took Wilkins at 11 over Devin Bush, and I like Bush. I just think Wilkins is a great player and an even better person. He'd be great in the locker room.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
I want neither but Wilkins is light years ahead of Gary. I said in another thread I think Gary May be this years big time faller. The tape doesn’t match the measurable sand that is always a red flag.
Reply/Quote
Screw Rashan Gary and all the other New Jersey recruits who went to Michigan.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2019, 01:25 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think Christian Wilkins and Rashan Gary are on opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to the type of player they are vs what potential they have.

Christian Wilkins has been a productive force for Clemson his entire collegiate career, is well refined, but not considered quite as elite athletically as Rashan Gary. In other words, he has a (very) high floor but not an ultra-high ceiling. He's pretty much the definition of a safe above-average quality starter for the NFL.

Rashan Gary, on the other hand, is much more potential rather than production at this point. He lit up the Combine with his display of athleticism. He's been discussed as playing too much DE at Michigan and would be best served at DT in the NFL to take advantage of his strengths and mask his weaknesses. He's the definition of a gamble.

So given how different these two guys are coming into the draft, which would you take if you had to pick between them? The safe guy who may already be near his potential, or the unrefined one who could be otherworldly dominant if he can get the proper coaching he needs and put into the best position to succeed?

Wilkins everytime, he will be solid and we need a sure thing with our first pick, not another gamble like Gary would be.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2019, 02:31 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Screw Rashan Gary and all the other New Jersey recruits who went to Michigan.

LOL!  Where did you expect him to go?  Rutgers?   Better UM than Penn State ...

(coming from another Bengals fan in NJ/Rutgers grad who pines for the age of Schiano) 
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2019, 01:39 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: I'm taking Wilkins over Gary 100%. Rashan Gary looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.

This.
Reply/Quote
I get stuck with a lot if Michigan game in Toledo. It seemed like every game they hyped Gary up before the game and then it was nothing but crickets when the game was being played.
Reply/Quote
I haven't been high on Wilkins at all and have been surprised at the love. I looked to see if it was just me and at least Tags over at FantasyPros agrees with me.

41. Christian Wilkins DT (Clemson)
Many believed that Wilkins should have come to the NFL last year, but he chose to stay at Clemson for one more year. My issue with Wilkins is that he can easily be directed in the direction a lineman wants him to go in the run-game. Wilkins is definitely a better pass-rusher than run-stuffer, but we also must remember that he was surrounded by tons of playmakers on that defensive line. He does a good job of getting his hands up when he can't get to the quarterback. I'd prefer to see him as a defensive end in a 3-4 defense rather than an interior lineman. His Combine performance was mediocre.

I think is more in line with all of us on Gary

20. Rashan Gary DT (Michigan)
There seems to be two sides to Gary, as some believe he was a disappointment at Michigan, while others believe he was playing out of position and misused much of the time. The concern is that he may be stuck in-between a defensive tackle and an edge rusher. He's a good athlete, so I'd prefer him to drop a few pounds and move to a base end in a 4-3 defense, though it's good to know he has versatility to play anywhere on the defensive line. He has enough strength to drive linemen back but would like to see a bit more closing speed at the point of tackle. He seems like a solid player to me, though not elite. He made a great impression at the NFL Combine, showing off his athleticism.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2019, 07:21 PM)yang Wrote: I haven't been high on Wilkins at all and have been surprised at the love. I looked to see if it was just me and at least Tags over at FantasyPros agrees with me.

Many believed that Wilkins should have come to the NFL last year, but he chose to stay at Clemson for one more year. My issue with Wilkins is that he can easily be directed in the direction a lineman wants him to go in the run-game. Wilkins is definitely a better pass-rusher than run-stuffer, but we also must remember that he was surrounded by tons of playmakers on that defensive line. He does a good job of getting his hands up when he can't get to the quarterback. I'd prefer to see him as a defensive end in a 3-4 defense rather than an interior lineman. His Combine performance was mediocre.

There seems to be two sides to Gary, as some believe he was a disappointment at Michigan, while others believe he was playing out of position and misused much of the time. The concern is that he may be stuck in-between a defensive tackle and an edge rusher. He's a good athlete, so I'd prefer him to drop a few pounds and move to a base end in a 4-3 defense, though it's good to know he has versatility to play anywhere on the defensive line. He has enough strength to drive linemen back but would like to see a bit more closing speed at the point of tackle. He seems like a solid player to me, though not elite. He made a great impression at the NFL Combine, showing off his athleticism.

Who is Tags at Fantasy Pros?

PFF had Wilkins as their third-highest ranked college player from 2018. He received a score of 93.0 and was rated very high against both the pass and run.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/college-top-101-best-college-football-players-in-2018

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-2019-nfl-draft-profile-di-christian-wilkins-clemson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2019, 07:21 PM)yang Wrote: I haven't been high on Wilkins at all and have been surprised at the love. I looked to see if it was just me and at least Tags over at FantasyPros agrees with me.

Who is Tags at Fantasy Pros?

PFF had Wilkins as their third-highest ranked college player from 2018. He received a score of 93.0 and was rated very high against both the pass and run.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/college-top-101-best-college-football-players-in-2018

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-2019-nfl-draft-profile-di-christian-wilkins-clemson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Gary is the guy who I think may fall out of the first round and no I'm not joking. The guy is not a good football player

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
All set with Gary. We can’t rely on potential with the 11th pick. Never get why people think players who don’t produce at the college level will all of sudden produce in the NFL. All I hear about Gary is he was the number one DE coming out of high school, ( who cares) he played out of position at Michigan and tested great on all meaningless drills.
Reply/Quote