Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christian group vandalizes ancient Mexican archaeological site
presbyterian
(06-29-2016, 11:08 AM)Wyche Wrote: So......doesn't mean they're right.  Some even view them as a cult......surely this isn't new knowledge to you.

Not many religions or church call them selves just Christians either they are presbyterian Baptist Methodist or what have you...

I don't see many Christian church of....  Or .... Christian church.

Christian is a generalization for someone that follows Christ.
(06-30-2016, 05:28 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: presbyterian

Not many religions or church call them selves just Christians either they are presbyterian Baptist Methodist or what have you...

Christinity is a religion, same as Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Zoarastriaism, etc.

Presbyterian, Baptists, Catholics, etc. are denominations within the religion of Christianity. They are subsets. A Presbyterian still calls himself a Christian. A Catholic still calls herself a Christian.

It is the same with Shi'ite and Sunni Muslims and Orthodox and Reformist Jews. They are subsets within their religions and not separate religions because they still adhere to the core beliefs of the religion they are a subset of. 

Belief in the Holy Trinity is a core belief in Christianity. JW's do not believe in the trinity. Therefore, they are not a denomination of Christianity. They are a separate entity.  
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(06-30-2016, 04:30 PM)GMDino Wrote: OK, I remember saying that.  I don't remember it being required to be a Christian.  Given the different sects (something we weren't taught in school btw) I can see it not be the cornerstone of some other group.

Before every prayer said, homage is paid to the Holy Trinity, when one demonstrates the sign of the cross.  In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and the Holy Spirit. 

I too, was raised Catholic.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(06-30-2016, 07:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Before every prayer said, homage is paid to the Holy Trinity, when one demonstrates the sign of the cross.  In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and the Holy Spirit. 

Yeah, that is Catholic, but it's not catholic. Once you move from the direct branches from Catholicism that doesn't happen.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-30-2016, 07:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Before every prayer said, homage is paid to the Holy Trinity, when one demonstrates the sign of the cross.  In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and the Holy Spirit. 

I thought that Catholics also put their thumb to their index and middle finger when crossing themselves to represent 3 (Trinity). I will say if someone was raised in a Catholic school and the importance of the Trinity was not stressed; that school might not be the best Catholic school in the Nation. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(06-30-2016, 08:05 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yeah, that is Catholic, but it's not catholic. Once you move from the direct branches from Catholicism that doesn't happen.

Did you mean Christian, there?  As, over my 47 years, attended many of the various branches of Protestant Christian Churches with friends, and even an ex-wife.  The one common thing that I noticed was that every one acknowledged God, Christ, and the Holy Spirit (or Ghost). I've been to Lutheran, Presbyterian, First Baptist, Nazarene, Methodist, Greek Orthodox, and any number of "country Baptist" brands.  I'm not claiming to be any sort of authority on the subject, just saying that I've been to a few different Christian Churches. 

While I never noticed any of the other Christian denominations do the sign of the cross, I did notice that all three were clearly mentioned in their respective services.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(06-30-2016, 09:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Did you mean Christian, there?  As, over my 47 years, attended many of the various branches of Protestant Christian Churches with friends, and even an ex-wife.  The one common thing that I noticed was that every one acknowledged God, Christ, and the Holy Spirit (or Ghost). I've been to Lutheran, Presbyterian, First Baptist, Nazarene, Methodist, Greek Orthodox, and any number of "country Baptist" brands.  I'm not claiming to be any sort of authority on the subject, just saying that I've been to a few different Christian Churches. 

While I never noticed any of the other Christian denominations do the sign of the cross, I did notice that all three were clearly mentioned in their respective services.

I was referring to the Trinity reference and sign of the cross before/during prayer. That is not universal (little c catholic) amongst Christian denominations. At least from my experiences, that coincides with denominations that practice infant baptism.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-29-2016, 04:12 PM)GMDino Wrote: religion can make people do bad things.

It's like talking to a freaking wall around here sometimes... Mellow

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
(06-30-2016, 05:28 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: presbyterian

I see a lot of First Christian Church of (said town), Church of Christ.....etc.

"Better send those refunds..."

(06-30-2016, 05:44 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Christinity is a religion, same as Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Zoarastriaism, etc.

Presbyterian, Baptists, Catholics, etc. are denominations within the religion of Christianity. They are subsets. A Presbyterian still calls himself a Christian. A Catholic still calls herself a Christian.

It is the same with Shi'ite and Sunni Muslims and Orthodox and Reformist Jews. They are subsets within their religions and not separate religions because they still adhere to the core beliefs of the religion they are a subset of. 

Belief in the Holy Trinity is a core belief in Christianity. JW's do not believe in the trinity. Therefore, they are not a denomination of Christianity. They are a separate entity.  

This.....

Well.... Mexico better get cracking on that wall, to keep our "Christian" groups out.

"Nice pyramid you have there. It'd be a damn shame if something were to happen to it."

Ninja
(07-02-2016, 07:39 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: Well.... Mexico better get cracking on that wall, to keep our "Christian" groups out.

"Nice pyramid you have there. It'd be a damn shame if something were to happen to it."

Ninja

LMAO