Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christmas music can harm your mental health
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2017/11/08/christmas-music-too-early-mental-health/#.WgOEmVTrWDo

Quote:CBS Local — Are you one of those people that can’t stand hearing Christmas songs months before the holiday actually arrives? Does hearing festive carols weeks before Thanksgiving only make you upset that you haven’t eaten your turkey yet? A psychologist in Great Britain says your reactions don’t make you a Grinch because too much Christmas music is actually bad for your mental health.

Clinical psychologist Linda Blair claims the constant barrage of Christmas tunes too early in the season forces people to remember all the things they have to do before the holiday. Blair says the songs are a reminder to buy presents, cater parties, organize travel, and all the more stressful chores during Christmas.

“You’re simply spending all of your energy trying not to hear what you’re hearing,” Blair tells Sky News.

There is more at the link. What I find interesting, is what if it can have the opposite effect depending upon the person?

For instance, I don't exchange any gifts, I don't travel or entertain, and I have two weeks off from work. The holiday season is a stress free time for me. No papers to write, no phone calls to answer, nothing. I started listening right after Halloween because this year has been shit and I have been feeling slightly better.

So now I want to start measuring cortisol levels in people. Any takers? LOL
Reply/Quote
I have a girl in the office playing them already. Its not killing me yet but I know I will be sick of them by thanksgiving.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2017, 11:45 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I have a girl in the office playing them already. Its not killing me yet but I know I will be sick of them by thanksgiving.

Yeah, I only listen in my office, and the volume I keep it at is minimal. I know not everyone is as keen on the music as I am, but I could listen to it year round. When I go completely white in my hair, I'll move somewhere it is permanently cold and have a Christmas village. LOL
Reply/Quote