Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christopher Nolan's "Tenet"
I was already a huge fan of Nolan because of "Memento" and "Inception". To me there are almost no new original movies made anymore. "Memento" was especially brilliant because it did not involve anything magical or supernatural. It was just a story told in a way I could have never imagined. I am not usually a big sci-fi fan but "Inception" was a brilliant concept with great story, characters, and visual effects. My problem with sci-fi stories is that it is easy to solve a problem or conflict when you can make up your own rules, but "Inception" had a good enough story to get around that.

So last night I saw his new movie "Tenet". It is a complete mind bender. Like every story that involves time travel there are some holes in the plot, but this version of time travel, or "time inversion" is insane. It is the type of movie you don't really get until you watch it the second time. It is way too complicated to explain, but it ends with a huge commando raid where two groups are working together with one group travelling backwards through time, i.e "inverted time" while the other group is travelling forward in time at the same place, and a third party influences the outcome by travelling back in time to a different place.
Reply/Quote
I felt the same way coming out of Tenet as I did after finishing The Lighthouse for the first time...

1. I have a pretty vague idea of what was going on.
2. It was an incredible experience.
3. I NEED to watch it with subtitles again.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 02:47 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: I felt the same way coming out of Tenet as I did after finishing The Lighthouse for the first time...

1. I have a pretty vague idea of what was going on.
2. It was an incredible experience.
3. I NEED to watch it with subtitles again.

I did not care much for The Lighthouse, but I agree with the part about subtitles.  In a theatre you should be able to hear every word of dialogue, but there were times when it was hard to understand, and not just when people were speaking backwards.
Reply/Quote
Inception is one of my favorite movies so I was really looking forward to Tenet.

“Don’t try to understand it.”

That’s what Tenet’s version of James Bond’s Q tells the main character when explaining time inversion which is central to the plot.

I should have turned this movie off right then because the same can be said for the movie itself. This movie is a James Bond wanna be that has the balls to tell you, “Don’t try to understand it,” because it makes no f’n sense.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 11:53 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I was already a huge fan of Nolan because of "Memento" and "Inception". To me there are almost no new original movies made anymore.  "Memento" was especially brilliant because it did not involve anything magical or supernatural.  It was just a story told in a way I could have never imagined.  I am not usually a big sci-fi fan but "Inception" was a brilliant concept with great story, characters, and visual effects.  My problem with sci-fi stories is that it is easy to solve a problem or conflict when you can make up your own rules, but "Inception" had a good enough story to get around that.

So last night I saw his new movie "Tenet".  It is a complete mind bender.  Like every story that involves time travel there are some holes in the plot, but this version of time travel, or "time inversion" is insane.  It is the type of movie you don't really get until you watch it the second time.  It is way too complicated to explain, but it ends with a huge commando raid where two groups are working together with one group travelling backwards through time, i.e  "inverted time" while the other group is travelling forward in time at the same place, and a third party influences the outcome by travelling back in time to a different place.

Yeah, almost every Nolan movie is this way. By far my favorite director. 

The Prestige is really good too. The twist is great. Memento, Inception, Insomnia, The Dark Knight Trilogy, Interstellar, you name, it I love it. 
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote