Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chernobyl HBO Miniseries
My god man. I’m not finished watching it. But the first two episodes are probably the scariest thing I’ve ever seen.

I used to be a proponent for more nuclear power. Not any more.
Reply/Quote
It’s so good. If you have not seen it, do it next.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 10:15 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: It’s so good. If you have not seen it, do it next.

Yes, its a great depiction  on  how that all went down.....I highly recommend it!
Reply/Quote
I started watching it on a flight a couple of years ago. Got the first couple of episodes in that evening and was hooked. So well made, and so sad.

To the nuclear power thing... my understanding (I'm no expert and have not spent much time on the subject) is that there are cleaner forms of nuclear power than what was used at Chernobyl and Three Mile Island and in warheads, but they were never pursued because the weaponized version is where countries were putting their money, and trying to do double-duty with it on the energy side. The meltdowns have had so much negative PR over the years it's nearly impossible to get the general public onboard with an alternate nuclear energy source because people hear "nuclear" and go, well, nuclear.

But I don't want to make it a PnR topic so I'll quit there and just say the whole thing is fascinating. Reading about the reactor site and surrounding communities even to this day is educational to say the least!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Suffice to say, today's power plants are much better than Chernobyl. You just have to keep them from getting hit with a Tsunami. Which is interesting in and of itself that Japan would be a proponent of nuclear power. I used to work with a lady from Latvia, who was living there when their country had the radiation cloud come through.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2021, 09:15 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Suffice to say, today's power plants are much better than Chernobyl. You just have to keep them from getting hit with a Tsunami. Which is interesting in and of itself that Japan would be a proponent of nuclear power. I used to work with a lady from Latvia, who was living there when their country had the radiation cloud come through.

That’s the thing I think when I hear how safe they are. A natural disaster is a natural disaster. Only thing you could have done was not have one in the first place.

Maybe if we can get fusion going I’ll change my opinion
Reply/Quote
dang need me some of that HBO
Reply/Quote