Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Church Burnings
(07-01-2015, 09:50 AM)GMDino Wrote: "Racism is isolated in certain pockets of America and we don't need the government or any laws telling everyone else how to run their lives and who can or cannot like!" © 2008-2015 Everyone who isn't racist.

Ninja

All kidding aside its pretty clear the south can be an absolutely horrible place.  Lots of places around the country can be...but the south is just awful when it comes to black / white relations.  Its a damn shame.

(07-02-2015, 03:14 AM)Wyche Wrote: Really?  'Cause when the Charleston shooting occurred, I saw people coming together peacefully and holding vigils.  I saw the victims being honored.  I even saw some forgiveness for the shooter, even though he's a vile, disgusting excuse for a human.  Thank God it didn't happen in the north, midwest, or LA, they'd still be rioting and looting.

That's a pretty myopic view you have there......maybe you should listen to Randy Newman's song "Rednecks", where he talks about the perceived "racial harmony" in the "great north". Yep, the harmony is just fine up there, as long as the black folk stay in their neighborhoods and ghettos, ain't that right...... Rolleyes
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(07-02-2015, 07:12 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: As someone who's lived in the rural north, the "mid-south", and had experiences in cities all over the place I cant help but feel that Ive experienced a palpable difference between race relations in different areas. Race relations aren't always so good in the North-I've heard of and even seen firsthand some really vile instances of racism up here-but it seems to be more repressed than in the south. A northern racist might have the same views as a southern one but is less likely to express them or do anything about it-it seemed to be "safer" or more mainstream in southern areas. For instance, there was a fellow who I used to work with around the Louisville area. He was black and seemed to genuinely get the short end of the stick at work more so than his white counterparts(I've seen this in the North as well but it was more hidden). He told me once that a group of his friends were outright barred from walking into a nightlife area by police-no reason was given. I'm about 99% that that wouldn't fly where I'm from-even in some of the really white trash type of bars. I can't think of any more examples at the moment but I couldn't help but sense that in the south black/white relations were different for the worse. I hope that I didn't offend anyone with this and think that it's a shame that all southerners have to deal with the stereotypes...but there does seem to be a difference.
I live geographically in the middle, a border state, so we don't have the same issues, I guess.....or at least where I live.  I've seen it all over, if you look at the bigger picture.  It may be understated, as you say, but when you see the corralling of minorities in the large Northern cities, you kinda have to wonder.....is it really understated?  That was the gist of Randy Newman's song, and it really has a point with the lines "gathering them up, from miles around", and "free to be put in a cage in Harlem in New York City, free to be put in a cage in the southside in Chicago and the west side.....".......but southerners are just "dumb rednecks" who they think can't see what's really going on.

Then I see all.kinds of races joining in prayer, tribute, and vigils in Charleston instead of rioting, and I really have to wonder.......then again, in some parts of the South in my travels, I have heard some seriously offensive shit. Point is, this ain't the 1960s anymore, and the doofus in.Charleston is more an isolated event than the norm.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
"Just awful"?  Again.....you're generalizing and stereotyping.....no better than what you're accusing southerners of.  You had it right when you said it can be bad ANYWHERE.  Then you went on to stereotype.  For it to be so awful in the south, it sure is funny that the KKK is headquartered in the north  Wink

(07-02-2015, 09:27 AM)Wyche Wrote: "Just awful"?  Again.....you're generalizing and stereotyping.....no better than what you're accusing southerners of.  You had it right when you said it can be bad ANYWHERE.  Then you went on to stereotype.  For it to be so awful in the south, it sure is funny that the KKK is headquartered in the north  Wink

I am.  But I don't mean to demean the entire area...just basing it on what I've seen.

Mainly because while I have lived in the north (PA) my entire life I have known enough people and talked with enough people to understand the "south" is worse than most other places.  I see similar problems in some urban areas.  I know many racists where I live.  Its much more obvious in places in the "south".

Its a cultural thing.

If you have multiple generations that never leave an area they keep the traditions and norms they were raised with.

It changes eventually I'm sure.  Locally its all about the welfare "lifers" and lazy blacks.  Meanwhile the vast majority of "lifers" are white in this area.  
(07-02-2015, 09:27 AM)Wyche Wrote: "Just awful"?  Again.....you're generalizing and stereotyping.....no better than what you're accusing southerners of.  You had it right when you said it can be bad ANYWHERE.  Then you went on to stereotype.  For it to be so awful in the south, it sure is funny that the KKK is headquartered in the north  Wink

2/3's of the KKK memberships are in the South,  the other third comes from the lower Midwestern states.
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

The church that burned here was burned to the ground in 1996 by the KKK. This time it appears to be lightning. I hope that remains the cause, however I would prefer the uncomfortable truth if it wasn't.

(07-02-2015, 09:35 AM)GMDino Wrote: I am.  But I don't mean to demean the entire area...just basing it on what I've seen.

Mainly because while I have lived in the north (PA) my entire life I have known enough people and talked with enough people to understand the "south" is worse than most other places.  I see similar problems in some urban areas.  I know many racists where I live.  Its much more obvious in places in the "south".

Its a cultural thing.

If you have multiple generations that never leave an area they keep the traditions and norms they were raised with.

It changes eventually I'm sure.  Locally its all about the welfare "lifers" and lazy blacks.  Meanwhile the vast majority of "lifers" are white in this area.  

No doubt about the welfare deal......but I gotta tell ya, in my 39 years, the most racist person I ever knew was from Ypsilanti Michigan, and had lived in Detroit for an extended time.

(07-02-2015, 09:37 AM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: 2/3's of the KKK memberships are in the South,  the other third comes from the lower Midwestern states.

Well no shit.....thanks detective. Mellow

(07-02-2015, 09:39 AM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: The church that burned here was burned to the ground in 1996 by the KKK.  This time it appears to be lightning.  I hope that remains the cause, however I would prefer the uncomfortable truth if it wasn't.

I hear ya......even though that uncomfortable truth might cause further uncomfort and civil unrest.

(07-02-2015, 09:48 AM)Wyche Wrote: Well no shit.....thanks detective. Mellow

Here are some more random facts.

Wyche is 2 inches flaccid and 3 inched erect.
Wyche is old.
Wyche speaks three languages, English, Stupid, and Dork.
Wyche eats prunes in the morning so he can poo in the evening.

(07-02-2015, 09:45 AM)Wyche Wrote: No doubt about the welfare deal......but I gotta tell ya, in my 39 years, the most racist person I ever knew was from Ypsilanti Michigan, and had  lived in Detroit for an extended time.

LOL...I have family in Ypsilanti.  This my be the first time I have ever seen another person reference Ypsilanti outside of my family.

(07-02-2015, 10:02 AM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: LOL...I have family in Ypsilanti.  This my be the first time I have ever seen another person reference Ypsilanti outside of my family.

You want a Junior G-man badge?

(07-02-2015, 09:59 AM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: Here are some more random facts.

Wyche is 2 inches flaccid and 3 inched erect.
Wyche is old.
Wyche speaks three languages, English, Stupid, and Dork.
Wyche eats prunes in the morning so he can poo in the evening.

Totally off base......

.....I eat my prunes at night, cause I like to shit in the morning.....

(07-02-2015, 10:11 AM)Wyche Wrote: You want a Junior G-man badge?

Coming from and OG, Ill take it.

O standing for old.

(07-02-2015, 10:12 AM)Wyche Wrote: Totally off base......

.....I eat my prunes at night, cause I like to shit in the morning.....

Please...Do you kiss your mom with that mouth?...I mean we all know you kiss your mom, but still.

(07-02-2015, 09:18 AM)Wyche Wrote: Then I see all.kinds of races joining in prayer, tribute, and vigils in Charleston instead of rioting, and I really have to wonder.

If the killer had been a policeman or if a court had cleared the killer then there would also have been riots in Charleston.

The riots are almost always against "the system" instead of the individual.
There are racists all over the country, but from what I have seen they are more common in the south.
(07-02-2015, 11:54 AM)fredtoast Wrote: There are racists all over the country, but from what I have seen they are more common in the south.

They're not more common from my experience, they are just more open about it.
(07-02-2015, 12:27 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: They're not more common from my experience, they are just more open about it.

And thus...awful.
(07-02-2015, 10:19 AM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: Coming from and OG, Ill take it.

O standing for old.
Oh no son.....I'm definitely an Original....
(07-02-2015, 10:20 AM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: Please...Do you kiss your mom with that mouth?...I mean we all know you kiss your mom, but still.

.......not as often as I kiss your mom.....