Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cincinnati Bengals' all-time Mount Rushmore: 4 best players in franchise history
https://www.foxnews.com/sports/cincinnati-bengals-all-time-mount-rushmore

The Cincinnati Bengals started out in the American Football League in 1968 before it merged with the National Football League in 1970.

The Bengals have had successful seasons since then but none of them have produced Super Bowl wins.

That’s not to say that the organization has not produced Hall of Fame players that have been among the best in the league at one point or another.

But who would make a Mount Rushmore of Bengals players? Take a look at the list below.

ANTHONY MUÑOZ

Anthony Muñoz is by far the best player to suit up for the Bengals. Cincinnati selected Muñoz with the No. 3 pick of the 1980 NFL Draft.

After 11 Pro Bowl and nine All-Pro selections, Muñoz was selected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. His 11 Pro Bowl selections came in consecutive seasons between 1981 and 1991. He played 13 seasons with the Bengals but was unable to capture that Super Bowl ring.

Muñoz was named to the First Team All-1980s Team by the Pro Football Hall of Fame. He was also named as one of the Top 100 NFL players of all-time.

KEN ANDERSON

Ken Anderson may have been one of the most successful quarterbacks for the Bengals during their history. Cincinnati selected Anderson in the third round of the 1971 draft. He spent 16 seasons with the Bengals and won one MVP award, one All-Pro selection, and was named to the Pro Bowl four times.

Anderson led the league in passing yards twice – 1974 (2,667 yards) and 1975 (3,169 yards). He made the playoffs four times during his career as well. He led the Bengals to Super Bowl XVI, where they would lose 26-21 to the San Francisco 49ers. It was the furthest the team would get until the 1988 season.

KEN RILEY

Ken Riley represents the best defensive player the Bengals have ever had. The team selected the defensive back in the sixth round of the 1969 draft.

Riley played for the Bengals for 15 seasons and was an interceptions machine. Fourteen out of his 15 seasons, Riley recorded two or more interceptions. Twelve of his 15 seasons he had three or more interceptions. In 1976, he had nine interceptions and one of them was returned for a touchdown.

He only earned an All-Pro selection one time – in 1983. He had eight interceptions with two of them returned for a touchdown. He had 65 interceptions in his career, which is good for fifth all-time behind Paul Krause (81), Emlen Tunnell (79), Rod Woodson (71), and Dick “Night Train” Lane (68).

BOOMER ESIASON

It might be rare for most organizations to have produced two great quarterbacks – one right after the other – but the Bengals did just that. As Anderson’s time was coming to an end, the Bengals drafted Boomer Esiason in the second round in 1984.

Esiason was the Bengals’ quarterback from 1984 to 1992 and then again in 1997. Like Anderson, he would win one MVP award and take the team to a Super Bowl only to lose to the 49ers. Esiason recorded 27,139 passing yards and 187 touchdowns for the Bengals.

He also had stints with the New York Jets and Arizona Cardinals.
When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.

Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Geno Atkins should be ahead of Boomer. Geno is a no doubt Hall of Famer and Boomer is not.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Who else along with Geno should be considered? Without digging into stats, Corey Dillon and Chad Johnson come to mind. AJ Green?

When Baltimore didn't have a team I followed the Bengals because of Boomer being a Terps alum. My favorite players from that era were James Brooks and Carl Pickens. They were both ahead of their time and would still be good today.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2020, 03:34 AM)Bmore Birds Wrote: Who else along with Geno should be considered? Without digging into stats, Corey Dillon and Chad Johnson come to mind. AJ Green?

When Baltimore didn't have a team I followed the Bengals because of Boomer being a Terps alum. My favorite players from that era were James Brooks and Carl Pickens. They were both ahead of their time and would still be good today.

Whitworth and Willie Anderson have a strong case as well at offensive Tackle. 
J24

Reply/Quote
I like Ike!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2020, 11:18 PM)J24 Wrote: Geno Atkins should be ahead of Boomer. Geno is a no doubt Hall of Famer and Boomer is not.

Geno is not a no doubt HOF.. I don;t think he will get in unless he has a couple outstanding years... Donald will overshadow him and he is not a flashy noseguard and they have a tough time to get in..
Reply/Quote
Three are locks to me: Munoz, Anderson and Riley

WR: Curtis over AJ and Chad.. any player that teams have to invent a way to stop him (roll block off the line) tells you how good he was in a non throwing time...

RB: Dillion: has a shot at real HOF.. if we are just going by performance.. he is a strong candidate

OL: Willie and Whit

LB: Reggie Williams

DL: Krum (was on his way to maybe HOF until injury) and Atkins

QB: Boomer ( very up and down.. take SB Season out and he is 7 games under 500...

Im probably a bit bias with age but I would have to put Curtis as my last with Atkins as 5th
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2020, 10:19 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Geno is not a no doubt HOF.. I don;t think he will get in unless he has a couple outstanding years... Donald will overshadow him and he is not a flashy noseguard and they have a tough time to get in..

Yes Geno is a no doubt Hall Of Famer. He made the all decade team, destroys other premium DTs stats like Suh, McCoy, Cox, and Heyward. The only two players better than him are Donald and Watt. You honestly think the third best player at his position won't make it two the Hall of Fame? That's laughable.
J24

Reply/Quote
(06-08-2020, 02:11 PM)J24 Wrote: Yes Geno is a no doubt Hall Of Famer. He made the all decade team, destroys other premium DTs stats like Suh, McCoy, Cox, and Heyward. The only two players better than him are Donald and Watt. You honestly think the third best player at his position won't make it two the Hall of Fame? That's laughable.

If a lock was true.. please explain how Kenny Riley never made HOF... I think he has a chance but not a lock and here is two sites, first that using some metrics to measure players.. DT HOF average is 113...  Atkins is around 75..  Cbs sports has him outside looking in part because of his position as I stated and for being a Bengals... .

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/hof/hofm_DT.htm

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-2010s-all-decade-team-ranking-every-players-hall-of-fame-chances-by-tiers/
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2020, 08:52 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: If a lock was true.. please explain how Kenny Riley never made HOF... I think he has a chance but not a lock and here is two sites, first that using some metrics to measure players.. DT HOF average is 113...  Atkins is around 75..  Cbs sports has him outside looking in part because of his position as I stated and for being a Bengals... .

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/hof/hofm_DT.htm

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-2010s-all-decade-team-ranking-every-players-hall-of-fame-chances-by-tiers/
Geno has made 8 pro Bowls and 2 All pros. Riley only had one All pro on his resume and also played in era with little Media attention.
Further more a site like PFF will help out Geno witch Riley never had.

Also you say Geno isnt Flashy I completely disagree with that he had 39 sacks from 2015-18 season. How many DT in NFL history averaged near 10 sacks a season for a four year period?Another point is his career sack record should be more but his playing time in his rookie season was limited by Marvin and his injury in 2013 took him out for two seasons.
Buchanan and Karas made the Hall of Fame with less HOF number than Geno.
J24

Reply/Quote
(06-09-2020, 02:54 AM)J24 Wrote: Geno has made 8 pro Bowls and 2 All pros. Riley only had one All pro on his resume and also played in era with little Media attention.
Further more a site like PFF will help out Geno witch Riley never had.

Also you say Geno isnt Flashy I completely disagree with that he had 39 sacks from 2015-18 season. How many DT in NFL history averaged near 10 sacks a season for a four year period?Another point is his career sack record should be more but his playing time in his rookie season was limited bHuld
Youare  totally in the minority if you don;t think Riley was passed over for HOF ... and that is my point wiith Geno.. he is not a lock... I could add more articles that put him as possible HOF.. yes some articles say he is a HOF and very close.. I am not questioning if Geno should be a HOF.. I questioned the idea he is a lock and I gave you some others who don;t put him even in the HOF..
Really have nothing more to add on this..
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2020, 05:55 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Youare  totally in the minority if you don;t think Riley was passed over for HOF ... and that is my point wiith Geno.. he is not a lock... I could add more articles that put him as possible HOF.. yes some articles say he is a HOF and very close.. I am not questioning if Geno should be a HOF.. I questioned the idea he is a lock and I gave you some others who don;t put him even in the HOF..
Really have nothing more to add on this..

How did you get that I don't think Riley is HOF? You asked me to explain why he wasn't in the HOF and I explained it.I am pissed that he isn't in it and sad that he won't be able to see himself go in. 
Glad you agree that Atkins is a HOF! I don't really see a legit reason how the writers can not put him in but maybe I'm wrong
J24

Reply/Quote
Basically the same format except it includes a head coach...
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bengals-franchise-five-revealing-the-most-important-coach-and-players-in-cincinnatis-team-history/

The rest of the AFC North is on here too. The Ravens' list is pretty clear cut except for maybe QB. JLC chose Lamar and he's by far the more talented player. But I'd still go with Flacco as of now even though it looks like I'm in the minority. I understand the reasoning but hypothetically I'll take Super Bowl MVP over league MVP.
Reply/Quote
Paul Brown. Anthony Munoz. Ken Anderson. Boomer Esiason.
Reply/Quote
Paul Brown, Sam Wyche, Forrest Gregg, Anthony Munoz.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2020, 02:11 PM)J24 Wrote: Yes Geno is a no doubt Hall Of Famer. He made the all decade team, destroys other premium DTs stats like Suh, McCoy, Cox, and Heyward. The only two players better than him are Donald and Watt. You honestly think the third best player at his position won't make it two the Hall of Fame? That's laughable.

I don't think he'll get in.

If he was a Steeler or cowboy or Patriot yes.  As a Bengal, no and it even wont  be close.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2020, 11:21 PM)J24 Wrote: How did you get that I don't think Riley is HOF? You asked me to explain why he wasn't in the HOF and I explained it.I am pissed that he isn't in it and sad that he won't be able to see himself go in. 
Glad you agree that Atkins is a HOF! I don't really see a legit reason how the writers can not put him in but maybe I'm wrong

Well i think can answer that with two words: Kenny Anderson... I love Geno but he is no Kenny Anderson and if Kenny has not been able to get in... we know Geno is not a sure thing either...
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2020, 02:53 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Well i think can answer that with two words: Kenny Anderson... I love Geno but he is no Kenny Anderson and if Kenny has not been able to get in... we know Geno is not a sure thing either...

How is Geno “no Kenny Anderson?” Geno has been one of the top 5 players at his position his entire career, 8x Pro Bowler, 2x All Pro, All Decade Team, 81st in sacks as a DT (and he could very well end up in the top 50 before he’s done). That’s a HoF worthy resume.

Kenny’s resume is crazy impressive, too, but he gets overshadowed by all the great QB’s. Especially ones with rings. The list of DT’s as special as Geno is much shorter.

Reply/Quote
Looked at all of the HOF players listed as Dlinemen who played in the sack era. Not that sacks tell the whole story but just for reference.

Smith-200 White-198 Greene-160 Doleman-150.5 Strahan-141.5 Taylor-139.5 Dent/Randle-137.5 Haley-100.5

There are four players with less than 100 sacks.
Warren Sapp- 96.5- 7 Pro Bowls- 4 All Pro- DPOY- SB champ
Howie Long- 84- 8 Pro Bowls- 2 All Pro- SB champ
Cortez Kennedy- 58- 8 Pro Bowls- 3 All Pro- DPOY
Dan Hampton- 57- 4 Pro Bowls- 1 All Pro- SB champ

Geno of course has 75.5- 8 Pro Bowls- 2 All Pro. So he compares favorably to Long and Kennedy and has a better resume than Hampton. Of course Hampton gets credit for being on one of the best defenses of all time. Big thing missing for Atkins is not being a Super Bowl champ or Defensive Player of the Year.
Reply/Quote
Anthony Munoz
Ken Anderson
Boomer Esiason
And idk. Could be Geno. Could have been AJ if he'd stay healthy. I think the fourth spot's open to some vets or some current guys considering how they finish their career.
Reply/Quote