Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cincinnati Cops Want Extra Pay for Wearing Body Cameras
Quote:Cincinnati cops are fighting a move by city officials to outfit them with body cameras—unless their salaries change, that is.

[/url]
[url=http://www.iheart.com/live/nbc-news-radio-6043/?pname=616&cid=/articles/national-news-104668/cincinnati-cops-want-extra-pay-for-15021991/&campid=content_Ltitle]NBC News Radio

The news you want, when you want it

The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that some city cops began wearing cameras last week, and the police union reacted by saying it and the city need to sit down at the bargaining table; the union argues the cameras shouldn't be worn until that happens and sent the city a "cease and desist" letter to that effect. A union lawyer argued in the letter written last week that a body-camera mandate "will change several aspects of their job and regularly assigned duties." But City Manager Harry Black on Monday said he has the right to order cops to wear them and said their presence protects cops "from frivolous and fraudulent claims."

Read the full story on Newser.com

Read more: http://kfiam640.iheart.com/articles/national-news-104668/cincinnati-cops-want-extra-pay-for-15021991/#ixzz4HjZRxk00
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
When working with a union, this is something that would be negotiated within a contract.
Personally, I think the cams are a double-edged sword.
They are good to keep record of the events, but may cause cops to hesitate and cost lives.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
Body cameras protect Cops from false claims of abuse.

Honest cops don't mind wearing them.
(08-18-2016, 10:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Body cameras protect Cops from false claims of abuse.

I always love the "body cams make the job harder" argument. The fact that it s a true statement is the exact reason cameras are needed.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
(08-18-2016, 10:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Body cameras protect Cops from false claims of abuse.

Body Cameras protect good cops & innocent civilians. What's not to like? 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
This is framed to make the cops look bad. It really isn't so much about the camera and more about the CBA. They don't want to "give" up anything without using it as a chip to negotiate. It is standard with almost all unions. I just wanted to get this in before people made this about cops not wanting to wear cameras, when really it is cops want to use it as an opportunity to negotiate which is nothing crazy.
(08-19-2016, 09:58 AM)Au165 Wrote: This is framed to make the cops look bad. It really isn't so much about the camera and more about the CBA. They don't want to "give" up anything without using it as a chip to negotiate. It is standard with almost all unions. I just wanted to get this in before people made this about cops not wanting to wear cameras, when really it is cops want to use it as an opportunity to negotiate which is nothing crazy.

And I would guess they also want it defined how it is used, at least in terms of when it can be reviewed and in what context/purpose.

The concern always is, even if not particularly justified or rational, that a supervisor is going to use it to unfairly sanction you.  Unions are all about equal treatment, and body cams have the potential for disparate treatment without the use being clearly defined in a CBA.
--------------------------------------------------------

Given I didn't read all the sub-links, but I did not see where they have demanded more pay. Lots of things can be discussed at a bargaining table.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(08-19-2016, 12:42 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Given I didn't read all the sub-links, but I did not see where they have demanded more pay. Lots of things can be discussed at a bargaining table.

Mellow

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2016/08/15/fop-city-pay-us-wear-body-cameras/88763906/

Quote:A lawyer for Fraternal Order of Police Lodge #69, Stephen Lazarus, sent the city a "cease and desist" letter, saying until pay for wearing the equipment has
been decided, officers shouldn't wear them. He asked that the city cease the program by Wednesday at the latest, pending the bargaining process.

"Requiring employees to wear BWCs will change several aspects of their job and regularly assigned duties," Lazarus wrote in a letter dated Aug. 11. "The adoption of of new BWC policies will also have a significant impact on the employees' wages, hours, or other terms and conditions of employment. Accordingly such changes are mandatory subjects that must be bargained to impasse with the union before they are implemented."

City Manager Harry Black fired back Monday, writing in a memo to council that as the manager of the police department he can order cameras be worn without a contract change, though he added he's hopeful the FOP will wear the cameras.

"Having a body camera program fosters transparency, allows the city to better protect the public and protects officers from frivolous and fraudulent claims," Black wrote.

In a letter to Lazarus, shared with the media, Black makes the same point and adds the union was given advance notice that cameras were coming.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.