Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cincinnati Needs a "Go-To" Play
Ever notice certain teams seemingly always get a conversion on third and short? Ever notice the Bengals usually fail to convert on third and short?

I've done some research and there are three teams in history who are solid on third down conversions: Pittsburgh, Green Bay, and New England. What do these teams have in common? A "go-to" play!

The Steelers have a standard play where they pull a guard, shift a tackle, use a tight end to seal off a linebacker, and they run the back of their choice to the edge. Green Bay was famous for the Lombardi Sweep. New England typically runs Tom Brady on third down and short. These teams always score well and convert reliably on third down.

The Jeremy Hill to the left side B-gap run doesn't work unless the Bengals are playing Cleveland. Cincinnati needs a better play on third down.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Wait... when you say "New England typically runs Tom Brady" are you suggesting that he actually runs the ball? Granted I don't watch all their games, but have never noticed Brady being much of a running threat.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2016, 01:14 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Wait... when you say "New England typically runs Tom Brady" are you suggesting that he actually runs the ball? Granted I don't watch all their games, but have never noticed Brady being much of a running threat.

On third and very short he usually keeps the ball and runs behind center and right guard.
Reply/Quote
Paulie G and Marvin have a go to Cane's Chicken they hit after the game.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2016, 01:14 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Wait... when you say "New England typically runs Tom Brady" are you suggesting that he actually runs the ball?  Granted I don't watch all their games, but have never noticed Brady being much of a running threat.

They execute the QB sneak to perfection on 3rd and one or two, even three sometimes. Of course they have a well disciplined team and a line that actually blocks.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2016, 01:24 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: On third and very short he usually keeps the ball and runs behind center and right guard.

I did not realize you meant the quarterback sneak.  I thought you were talking about some sort of option play or something of that nature. My bad.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2016, 01:14 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Wait... when you say "New England typically runs Tom Brady" are you suggesting that he actually runs the ball?  Granted I don't watch all their games, but have never noticed Brady being much of a running threat.

In Brady's career on 3rd or 4th and 1, Brady has like a 90% success rate on the QB Sneak. He's obscenely good at converting them into first downs. So not really "running" exactly, because you're right. He's not exactly a blazer.

Crazier is the fact that the Patriots have a 1st rounder, 3rd rounder, 4th rounder, 5th rounder, and UDFA on their OL.
Meanwhile the Bengals have 2 1st rounders, a 2nd rounder, a 4th rounder, and an UDFA on theirs.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I thought the punt on 4th and inches was their go-to play?
Reply/Quote
The Hook N Ladder. 

It worked in Varsity Blues.......just need to find us a Billy Bob O lineman and a Charlie Tweeder. 

Hey you wanna see the new Tweeder end zone dance?  You know what it's called? 

What?

The New Tweeder End Zone Dance.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote

Tom Brady's QB Sneak is the best in the game. 3rd and 1, you know its coming, and you cant stop it, he knows how to wedge himself in between the center and RG to get that 1 yard.

Now to the OP,

We need to stop using that damn joker/crazy formation so much if anything. We use it once and it works a la Eiferts 71 yard reception, but then we keep using it and defenses figure it out. 9 times out of 10 its going to be a screen to a WR, and defenses are all over it.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Our 'go to' play is either our QB getting sacked on offense, or a personal foul on defense.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2016, 02:03 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Now to the OP,

We need to stop using that damn joker/crazy formation so much if anything. We use it once and it works a la Eiferts 71 yard reception, but then we keep using it and defenses figure it out. 9 times out of 10 its going to be a screen to a WR, and defenses are all over it.

I was watching the game with Stevie Wonder and he yelled, "It's going to AJ Green!"
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2016, 02:03 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Tom Brady's QB Sneak is the best in the game. 3rd and 1, you know its coming, and you cant stop it, he knows how to wedge himself in between the center and RG to get that 1 yard.

Now to the OP,

I don't know why that formation bothers so many people. They line up with it, and if they get the look they want they go with it, if not they revert back to a more standard play. Doesn't bother me a bit.... keeps the defenses guessing.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2016, 02:03 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Tom Brady's QB Sneak is the best in the game. 3rd and 1, you know its coming, and you cant stop it, he knows how to wedge himself in between the center and RG to get that 1 yard.

Now to the OP,

Sad, but true.  I have wanted to ask this and it doesn't deserve its own thread. You mentioned Eifert's 71 yard reception. It appeared to my wife and I that Eifert visibly slowed down when he got to about the 20 yard line. Was that our imagination;  did the defenders go to warp speed; or other? Personally I think he was gassed and that's why he didn't score.
Reply/Quote
He did slow down a little, but that's normal for anyone that's not a WR. However, his head is constantly on a swivel looking for defenders so that definitely played a part.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
HB draw.

- Bob B.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2016, 01:10 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Ever notice certain teams seemingly always get a conversion on third and short?  Ever notice the Bengals usually fail to convert on third and short?

I've done some research and there are three teams in history who are solid on third down conversions: Pittsburgh, Green Bay, and New England.  What do these teams have in common?  A "go-to" play!

The Steelers have a standard play where they pull a guard, shift a tackle, use a tight end to seal off a linebacker, and they run the back of their choice to the edge.  Green Bay was famous for the Lombardi Sweep.  New England typically runs Tom Brady on third down and short.  These teams always score well and convert reliably on third down.

The Jeremy Hill to the left side B-gap run doesn't work unless the Bengals are playing Cleveland.  Cincinnati needs a better play on third down.

The play we need to go to on 3rd down is the substitute the Bengals D in for the other teams D. Then we should have no problem converting it
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2016, 03:40 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't know why that formation bothers so many people. They line up with it, and if they get the look they want they go with it, if not they revert back to a more standard play. Doesn't bother me a bit.... keeps the defenses guessing.

agree that it does keep defense guessing.

But it has to require a lot of practice time to get it down. Which has to take time away from getting the basics down which this O-line can not execute presently. 

Agree completely with OP that we really have no bread and butter play.

Maybe dust off the statue of liberty play.

I kid folks, I kid. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2016, 01:50 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: I thought the punt on 4th and inches was their go-to play?

It is, it is.

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2016, 01:55 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: The Hook N Ladder. 

It worked in Varsity Blues.......just need to find us a Billy Bob O lineman and a Charlie Tweeder. 

Hey you wanna see the new Tweeder end zone dance?  You know what it's called? 

What?

The New Tweeder End Zone Dance.

Varsity Blues quotes will always net you rep....Haha.

"Billy Bob cried, because he's a bit of a cryer....Tweeter drank beer, because....Tweeter drinks beer"
Reply/Quote