Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Cincinnati campus officer shoots and kills unarmed black male
(07-26-2015, 07:38 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It wouldn't excuse or condemn the officer's actions if she had been killed either.  One has nothing to do with the other.

You're actually curious as to how someone got drugs in a detention facility?  It happens all the damn time, it's not difficult at all.

Do what again?  Lose his temper?  He's being disciplined for failing to follow proper procedure, the system is working as intended in this instance.  Bland could have easily not been in jail, she could have posted bond.  Many people, obviously ignorant of how the bail system works, have complained that she couldn't raise the $5,000 bail to go free.  Problem is she was referred to a bail bondsmen and they only require a non-refundable 10% of your bail amount.  So Bland and her family, that publicly cares so much for her, couldn't be bothered to raise $500 so she wouldn't have to stay in jail.  Now, I don't know about you, but I'd post $500 bond for a decent friend, much less a family member. 

Even further, and this in no way exculpates the officer's erroneous actions, Bland could have just kept her cool and gone on her way with a traffic citation.  Is the onus on her to be the calm, level headed one?  In many ways yes.  Around twelve years ago I was publicly berated by a superior, who was totally in the wrong btw.  I could have gone off and defended my position, and been completely correct, but it wouldn't have been smart.  So I did the adult thing and said, "Yes, sir" and "No, sir" and moved on.  The same superior, who was/is still known for being a hard ass who will chew you out in egregious fashion later came to me and apologized when he realized he was wrong.  He even offered to publicly apologize in front of everyone who was present when he berated me.  I told him it wasn't necessary and that I appreciated his apology.  This same person was later instrumental in my securing a promotion and is one of my biggest proponents to this day.  You think I'd have gotten the same result if I had lost my cool, justifiably, to a person in a superior position?

The bottom line is this, Bland is not the paid professional in this situation, but she has an even greater reason (i.e. self preservation) to keep her cool than the officer involved.  People have become way too obsessed with the concept of being "disrespected" and they consequently make stupid decisions.  Be the adult, and the smart one, and act in your own best interests.

Okay.

Other than I already said the officer didn't kill her but his actions lead directly to the end result I have problem with the concept of I have to keep my cool while an officer drags me from car and throws me to the ground and who then claims *I* kicked him and that's why he did it.

In the end the officer not only did it he lied about it...it in the audio.  The editing of the video hasn't been explained yet.  And the officer's "punishment" is a desk job with full pay?  

Keeping you cool is always the best road to take...whether you are the lady in the car OR the officer who had zero reason to loose it based on that audio.  But I'm sure he'll learn a valuable lesson and never do it again.

I sure she learned her lesson too. Rock On
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(07-26-2015, 07:44 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Why?  I don't think the people at the jail even worked for the same dept, even if they did, why do you think jail deputies would treat her badly?

I can tell you that having someone die in custody is every person who works in a detention facility's worst nightmare.  The media has the anti LEO rhetoric so ratcheted up people immediately shouted murder when this woman was found dead.  Quite simply the only thing you could be covering up that would make even a little sense for someone to consider killing a detainee is another murder.  This whole knee jerk idea that she was murdered was beyond stupid from the jump.
(07-26-2015, 03:51 PM)GMDino Wrote: Because of the way she was treated prior to the arrest.

Its possible being in jail for three days drove her over the edge.

Cop should still be off the streets.

Yea, but the fact that the cop was a bit of a dick means they had her killed in jail? And the theories of her being dead in the mugshot... Rolleyes
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-26-2015, 07:47 PM)GMDino Wrote: Okay.

Other than I already said the officer didn't kill her but his actions lead directly to the end result I have problem with the concept of I have to keep my cool while an officer drags me from car and throws me to the ground and who then claims *I* kicked him and that's why he did it.

Have to?  No.  Is it smart to do so?  Yes.  If you're smart and keep your cool from the beginning you don't even get to the part where you get dragged out of the car.  You're confusing being in the right with being smart.  Sometimes you can be in the right and still conduct yourself foolishly.

Quote:In the end the officer not only did it he lied about it...it in the audio.  The editing of the video hasn't been explained yet.  And the officer's "punishment" is a desk job with full pay?

Apparently you think punitive action should be handed out the day after the incident.  It doesn't work that way.  An investigation is conducted and then discipline is handed down.  He has the desk job while the investigation is being conducted.

Quote:Keeping you cool is always the best road to take...whether you are the lady in the car OR the officer who had zero reason to loose it based on that audio.  But I'm sure he'll learn a valuable lesson and never do it again.

I sure she learned her lesson too. Rock On

Hyperbolic statement as nothing I've posted has exculpated the officer or his losing his temper.  In fact, just the opposite was stated.  For Ms. Bland the smart course of action was to keep her cool.  Instead she allowed herself to get upset and played a game you can only lose, at least initially.  
(07-26-2015, 08:15 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Have to?  No.  Is it smart to do so?  Yes.  If you're smart and keep your cool from the beginning you don't even get to the part where you get dragged out of the car.  You're confusing being in the right with being smart.  Sometimes you can be in the right and still conduct yourself foolishly.

Apparently you think punitive action should be handed out the day after the incident.  It doesn't work that way.  An investigation is conducted and then discipline is handed down.  He has the desk job while the investigation is being conducted.

Hyperbolic statement as nothing I've posted has exculpated the officer or his losing his temper.  In fact, just the opposite was stated.  For Ms. Bland the smart course of action was to keep her cool.  Instead she allowed herself to get upset and played a game you can only lose, at least initially.  

She's an instigator: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AduqkOgTxeU&feature=youtu.be
If I were to speculate (keep that word in mind)........

I would say that she killed herself due to not being able to get out of jail, to start/continue (not sure if she had started, yet) her new job.
Given her supposed predisposition to depression and lack of any other outside stimulus (I cannot use the toilet without my cell phone), she likely obsessed on the issue and drove herself mad.
Sad
UPDATE

Source

Quote:After a routine traffic stop by a University of Cincinnati Police Officer, Sam Dubose ended up dead with his face blown off. The officer was wearing a body camera, but the city refuses to release in the video. In the meantime, everybody who sees it is deeply disturbed, including the citywide police chief.

Cincinnati Police Chief Jeffrey Blackwell said he's seen the unreleased footage from a University of Cincinnati officer's body camera during last week's fatal shooting and "it's not good."

"The video is not good," Blackwell said. "I think the city manager has said that also publicly. I'll leave it there."

Here's the City Manager...
City Manager Harry Black also spoke about the unreleased body camera video of the shooting.
"It's not a good situation," Black said. "It's a tragic situation, someone has died that did not necessarily need to die."

In 2001, after local police killed a man named Timothy Thomas, unrest broke out across the city.
“To quote the family, ‘We don’t want another Timothy Thomas situation,'” said Pastor Ennis Tait, of the Church of the Living God. “They’ve said that and that’s their heart. They don’t want the city to be turned upside down and that issue to be attached to their brother’s life.”
The Police Chief is already calling for peace....
“We're concerned clearly. We're concerned about what could happen in our city. We're hopeful that the people of this great city are reminded that we do things right and that even when an officer may have done something inappropriate that it will be dealt with in an appropriate fashion,” Blackwell said.
But here's the thing.

All studies indicate that in nearly 99% of instances of police killing someone, even in the most egregious circumstances, "something appropriate" doesn't actually happen and officers are let off.

Let's keep pushing for the release of this video. We must never assume that justice will happen on its own, but must fight for it daily.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
(07-28-2015, 05:36 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: UPDATE

Source

By the title of the article and his assertion the "face was blown off" it seems mr King is trying to stir up some trouble. I home this does not happen for the sake of the city.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(07-28-2015, 05:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: By the title of the article and his assertion the "face was blown off" it seems mr King is trying to stir up some trouble. I home this does not happen for the sake of the city.

Agreed. Hopefully the good people of Cincinnati will explore other avenues and realize that rioting is not the answer, as has been shown recently so many times. Maybe this city will be  the 'Ghandi' that is so desperately needed in these situations.  
Tensing will face murder charges. Sounds like the video is really bad.
He was indicted for murder:
http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/hamilton-county/cincinnati/hamilton-county-prosecutor-to-discuss-samuel-dubose-officer-involved-shooting-death

Looks like people will have to get their Jordans the old-fashioned way.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(07-29-2015, 02:13 PM)michaelsean Wrote: He was indicted for murder:
http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/hamilton-county/cincinnati/hamilton-county-prosecutor-to-discuss-samuel-dubose-officer-involved-shooting-death

Wow.  Strong words there.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(07-29-2015, 02:13 PM)michaelsean Wrote: He was indicted for murder:

Good. 

I don't know if releasing the video is a good idea though. Maybe they should wait until trial or even after. 
Video not quite as damning as Deters made it sound. Indictment still the right call
Did they release the video?
(07-29-2015, 02:36 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Did they release the video?

I saw it on the news, and they pulled away before the shooting because they didn't know what it would look like.  The whole thing may be somewhere else.  I haven't looked yet.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Deters tore apart the existence of campus cops. I think I have to agree.

Here is the video. I can't tell what happened, but Deters didn't seem to have a doubt.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/hamilton-county/cincinnati/watch-body-cam-video-released-in-sam-dubose-shooting

The prosecutor is going to have to slow this video down for the jury. The video I saw on NBC showed the whole thing and it happens so fast, the jury might miss it.

I didn't hear the gunshot, just dude running yelling "Shots fired!".

Sam Debose was compliant in the video.

The officer asked for his drivers licsense, Debose started looking for it then the officer asked what was on the floor and Debose handed him an unopened bottle of gin. The officer asked for his licsense again and Debose asked what he was being pulled over for and the officer started to get condescending and said "Again...because of the front plate" or something like that. Then you see the officer reach I think then the camera gets shaky and you see running and dude saying "Shots fired!".

It's crazy

EDIT: you hear the car accelerate after the officer shot Debose, not before.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Holy shit.