Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cincy Chili
I'm planning to cook for friends coming over fpr the Cleveland game on Sunday; and decided to go with something bengals-specific, and that Cincy Chili dish actually looks fine, so I will do that. I am a mediocre cook that gets his basic stuff done, and I actually make a decent chili. I would, however, take some advice from more experienced Cincy Chili cooks.

For example, what spices go into the chili, how much more liquid should the cincy chili be compared to a normal chili, what cheese is recommended etc. I will consider all hints.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2017, 09:10 AM)hollodero Wrote: I'm planning to cook for friends coming over fpr the Cleveland game on Sunday; and decided to go with something bengals-specific, and that Cincy Chili dish actually looks fine, so I will do that. I am a mediocre cook that gets his basic stuff done, and I actually make a decent chili. I would, however, take some advice from more experienced Cincy Chili cooks.

For example, what spices go into the chili, how much more liquid should the cincy chili be compared to a normal chili, what cheese is recommended etc. I will consider all hints.

you boil noodles for ~10 minutes or till soft...

You open the skyline(or cinci sytle chili of your choice) cans  and dump them into a sauce pan to warm up.

For Cinci Chili    Shredded Sharp Cheddar  is the cheese you want

Diced Onions and Dark Red Kidney beans optional   

also good on hotdogs

If you want to know how they make their chili's they don't tell lol.        I believe Skyline uses some brown sugar and gold star cinnamon (or I got that backwards)
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2017, 10:33 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: you boil noodles for ~10 minutes or till soft...

Oh yeah, that's how I usually boil my noodle.

(09-29-2017, 10:33 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: You open the skyline(or cinci sytle chili of your choice) cans  and dump them into a sauce pan to warm up.

LOL sophisticated!

(09-29-2017, 10:33 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: For Cinci Chili    Shredded Sharp Cheddar  is the cheese you want

Diced Onions and Dark Red Kidney beans optional   

also good on hotdogs

If you want to know how they make their chili's they don't tell lol.        I believe Skyline uses some brown sugar and gold star cinnamon (or I got that backwards)

Thanks for the input. Not gonna lie, it probably won't help me much, but still.
Reply/Quote
Getting the spice packets is your best bet, but probably too late for you st this point. There are a couple of decent recipes out there though. Most of the cincy flavor comes from the use of chocolate (cocoa) and cinnamon.
Reply/Quote
Also, I don't know if you can find low grade enough cheese over there. The stuff at the chili parlors is hardly cheese at all aside from the color.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2017, 10:44 AM)hollodero Wrote: Oh yeah, that's how I usually boil my noodle.

LOL sophisticated!

Thanks for the input. Not gonna lie, it probably won't help me much, but still.

well lol that's how I do it hahaha... if I knew more i'd share it....

You can always make a normal tex-mex style chili and put that over noodles and add cheese that is good as well.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2017, 12:05 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Getting the spice packets is your best bet, but probably too late for you st this point.  There are a couple of decent recipes out there though.  Most of the cincy flavor comes from the use of chocolate (cocoa) and cinnamon.

Yeah, I figured. I can't fight a rest of scepticism about that, but I guess I will find out. I found many recipes online, but they are all different and some first-hand hints might help, like try this and don't try that.

(09-29-2017, 03:37 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: well lol that's how I do it hahaha... if I knew more i'd share it....

So you say...

(09-29-2017, 03:37 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: You can always make a normal tex-mex style chili and put that over noodles and add cheese that is good as well.

Yeah, that's kind of a plan already. But it wouldn't be cincy chili then, right.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2017, 04:52 PM)hollodero Wrote: Yeah, I figured. I can't fight a rest of scepticism about that, but I guess I will find out. I found many recipes online, but they are all different and some first-hand hints might help, like try this and don't try that.

So you say...

Yeah, that's kind of a plan already. But it wouldn't be cincy chili then, right.

well  idk how many other places put their chili on noodles....
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2017, 04:52 PM)hollodero Wrote: Yeah, I figured. I can't fight a rest of scepticism about that, but I guess I will find out. I found many recipes online, but they are all different and some first-hand hints might help, like try this and don't try that.

Well with the spice packets, you always boil the meat rather than cook or 'brown' the ground beef first. This is a must to the consistency right.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2017, 09:10 AM)hollodero Wrote: I'm planning to cook for friends coming over fpr the Cleveland game on Sunday; and decided to go with something bengals-specific, and that Cincy Chili dish actually looks fine, so I will do that. I am a mediocre cook that gets his basic stuff done, and I actually make a decent chili. I would, however, take some advice from more experienced Cincy Chili cooks.

This link has a pretty good recipe for making Cincinnati style chili at home.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/206953/authentic-cincinnati-chili/

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
^^^. Winner winner chicken dinner. This sounds about holo
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2017, 10:33 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: you boil noodles for ~10 minutes or till soft...

Too long.

Glue!!!!

[Image: final13.jpg]
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2017, 08:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: This link has a pretty good recipe for making Cincinnati style chili at home.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/206953/authentic-cincinnati-chili/

ThumbsUp Thanks. I will do something among these lines.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2017, 10:18 AM)hollodero Wrote: ThumbsUp Thanks. I will do something among these lines.

When I cook my own chili, I prefer to use a tablespoon or so of honey, rather than chocolate.  The sweet cuts some of the acidity of the tomato sauce, benefitting not only in flavor, but reduces likelihood of heartburn.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2017, 02:02 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: When I cook my own chili, I prefer to use a tablespoon or so of honey, rather than chocolate.  The sweet cuts some of the acidity of the tomato sauce, benefitting not only in flavor, but reduces likelihood of heartburn.

Makes sense. I actually planned on using a shortcut here and simply add some sugar, just like I would do with regular chili. But then I bought some chocolate. I want to stick strictly to the book on this one. (Except I will add wine instead of water if things turn too dry.)

That's why my pan is already in the fridge.

(09-29-2017, 07:07 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Well with the spice packets, you always boil the meat rather than cook or 'brown' the ground beef first.  This is a must to the consistency right.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I never boiled ground beef before though, but the result actually is remarkable. Looks like things turn more fluid with this concept. Adding more tomato sauce to liquefy things was my first impulse, but that whole boil the meat idea looks way more promising.
Reply/Quote
Let us know how it turns out.

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2017, 08:43 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Let us know how it turns out.

Will do. Already simmering.
Reply/Quote
Couple of tips as well. Once noodles are done, I always spoon a bit of the sauce over them, then stir to coat. This keeps them from sticking in the pot waiting to be served.

For future making of it, you can probably have the spice packets sent to you like Gold Star Chili's or Cincinnati Chili ones. Otherwise just use a recipe that requires a ton of ingredients.

And if anyone asks, tell them it was invented originally over here in Cincy by Greek immigrants who were inspired to make their version of the New York Coney Island dogs in the early 1900s with ingredients they knew from Greece.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Unless you're dead set on cooking it from scratch, it probably would be easiest to use the cans and packages of cheddar. It's best to have the spaghetti slightly al dente and then make sure you coat it with a little oil before serving to keep it from sticking together.

There used to be a sports bar in Pasadena, CA that had lots of Bengal fans come there on Sundays and I was there when they played the Steelers in 2011. Someone brought Skyline, and it was great to have it again even though they used spaghetti noodles that were too big (thick?) and used chunk cheddar instead of the finely grated wisps we all know and love. A Bengal's victory would have made that day, but the Steelers beat them bad with assistance from the refs.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2017, 12:42 PM)Millhouse Wrote: For future making of it, you can probably have the spice packets sent to you like Gold Star Chili's or Cincinnati Chili ones. Otherwise just use a recipe that requires a ton of ingredients.

A ton indeed... but that's what I did. I don't live in too close approximity to the US that I want to have packets sent. So I now have some new spices in my kitchen.

--- So to keep my romise to tell how it turned out: I was very satisfied. I can't know if it tasted authentic, but it was a fine meal and I will definitely do that again. Very unique taste as well.
Reply/Quote