Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cincy chief of police fired
Wow. Top thing in my national news feed was Cincy police chief was fired today. Assumed there would be a thread. Maybe too soon. Anybody have any opinions or insight on this? Anybody care?
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
I'm not in that area, so I did not know anything about the situation.
I watched the channel 5 story about the whole thing, just to get an idea.
The guy looked like he had an arrogant air about him and the new guy looked like a heavier version of Debo from the movie Friday.
(09-09-2015, 08:41 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I'm not in that area, so I did not know anything about the situation.
I watched the channel 5 story about the whole thing, just to get an idea.
The guy looked like he had an arrogant air about him and the new guy looked like a heavier version of Debo from the movie Friday.

New guy was not in cobbled together footage I saw... assume new guy is interim? Old guy says he will sue... I hate to ask but how many cards from the race deck are going to be played (I am sensing a lot based on what I saw at the courthouse)? Did anyone see this coming? Will there be a "hands up don't fire the chief rally?" Or worse?

And as Rodney King said, "Can't we all just get along?"
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(09-09-2015, 08:50 PM)xxlt Wrote: New guy was not in cobbled together footage I saw... assume new guy is interim? Old guy says he will sue... I hate to ask but how many cards from the race deck are going to be played (I am sensing a lot based on what I saw at the courthouse)? Did anyone see this coming? Will there be a "hands up don't fire the chief rally?" Or worse?

And as Rodney King said, "Can't we all just get along?"

Yeah, new guy is an interim.
I didn't see anything referring directly to any "race card" issues, but Blackwell did say that he never had the support he deserved from the city manager.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=blackwell+fired+cincinnati
Yeah...I suspected this might happen.  Chief Blackwell had been brought in under the previous administration just as they were leaving.  The current administration did not want Mr. Blackwell in the first place and had made that known, and the previous administration brought him in anyway.  I had a feeling it wasn't going to work from the start.  I've kept up with it a bit over the years.  From what I understand  a lot of higher ups within the CPD were miffed that city council brought somebody in from outside the CPD, when they typically promoted from within(Blackwell was last in Columbus if I remember correctly.   As far as the reasons for why he was ultimately fired, I've heard them for quite some time.  However, I feel like the current administration (and probably some top brass in the CPD) has been looking for a while to get rid of the guy.  I'm not connected to the CPD or City council.  I'm just a guy that lives in the area, and reads the paper.  Here's a pretty good link to it.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2015/09/09/chief-firing-memo-cites-abuse-retaliation-selfies/71930600/

The pairing never worked well, in part because Blackwell was hired two years ago by the outgoing administration months before Black and Mayor John Cranley took over. Still, the two sides talked often about trying to make the best of the relationship.

Those efforts failed, however, and an increase in violent crime this summer, coupled with a shaky plan to address the problem, made matters worse
(09-10-2015, 01:05 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Yeah...I suspected this might happen.  Chief Blackwell had been brought in under the previous administration just as they were leaving.  The current administration did not want Mr. Blackwell in the first place and had made that known, and the previous administration brought him in anyway.  I had a feeling it wasn't going to work from the start.  I've kept up with it a bit over the years.  From what I understand  a lot of higher ups within the CPD were miffed that city council brought somebody in from outside the CPD, when they typically promoted from within(Blackwell was last in Columbus if I remember correctly.   As far as the reasons for why he was ultimately fired, I've heard them for quite some time.  However, I feel like the current administration (and probably some top brass in the CPD) has been looking for a while to get rid of the guy.  I'm not connected to the CPD or City council.  I'm just a guy that lives in the area, and reads the paper.  Here's a pretty good link to it.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2015/09/09/chief-firing-memo-cites-abuse-retaliation-selfies/71930600/

The pairing never worked well, in part because Blackwell was hired two years ago by the outgoing administration months before Black and Mayor John Cranley took over. Still, the two sides talked often about trying to make the best of the relationship.

Those efforts failed, however, and an increase in violent crime this summer, coupled with a shaky plan to address the problem, made matters worse

As a guy who used to live in the area and knows you as a reliable source I appreciate your perspective. Thanks.