Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clarity on IR
Many of us remember a change in March of this year to the IR rules, to where teams need not designate a player to return later...they can simply choose any of the players on IR who meet the aging requirements (8? Weeks on IR?)

But my question is around how the Bengals did their IR designations (or lack of) so far. I can't find this answer anywhere.

Last week Billings was placed on IR, and I remember a little blurb that after his placement on IR, that doing it now and not during the season basically read "his season is over, no chance he can be brought back now" or something to that effect.

Also, it appears Hobson doesn't remember the IR change as I remember reading him writing about the designation to be added to Peerman or WJIII. Maybe he misstated we can only bring back one, maybe he doesn't get it. (Sorry, no links as I can't find the reference articles).

Anyways, question is: can Billings be brought back (theoretically) after going on IR during the preseason, or did we have to wait until regular season rosters are in effect?

If no difference, why not IR Peerman and Jackson when they got hurt to allow more spots?
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2016, 09:19 AM)TGISunday Wrote: Many of us remember a change in March of this year to the IR rules, to where teams need not designate a player to return later...they can simply choose any of the players on IR who meet the aging requirements (8? Weeks on IR?)

But my question is around how the Bengals did their IR designations (or lack of) so far.  I can't find this answer anywhere.

Last week Billings was placed on IR, and I remember a little blurb that after his placement on IR, that doing it now and not during the season basically read "his season is over, no chance he can be brought back now" or something to that effect.

Also, it appears Hobson doesn't remember the IR change as I remember reading him writing about the designation to be added to Peerman or WJIII.  Maybe he misstated we can only bring back one, maybe he doesn't get it. (Sorry, no links as I can't find the reference articles).

Anyways, question is: can Billings be brought back (theoretically) after going on IR during the preseason, or did we have to wait until regular season rosters are in effect?

If no difference, why not IR Peerman and Jackson when they got hurt to allow more spots?

They can only chose one play to return who is on ir. Billings is not ablr to return because he was put in ir in the preseason, you have to wait untill the 53 man roster to do this. What will most likely happen is peerman will take up a roster spot since he is due back week 6 ish and they will put wjiii in ir designated to return. Hope this clears it up  
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2016, 09:48 AM)Jpoore Wrote: They can only chose one play to return who is on ir. Billings is not ablr to return because he was put in ir in the preseason, you have to wait untill the 53 man roster to do this. What will most likely happen is peerman will take up a roster spot since he is due back week 6 ish and they will put wjiii in ir designated to return. Hope this clears it up  

This is what I assume the logic is, but I can't find any wording in the rules to affirm it  thank you.

I wonder why that's the case?
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2016, 09:19 AM)TGISunday Wrote: Many of us remember a change in March of this year to the IR rules, to where teams need not designate a player to return later...they can simply choose any of the players on IR who meet the aging requirements (8? Weeks on IR?)

But my question is around how the Bengals did their IR designations (or lack of) so far.  I can't find this answer anywhere.

Also, it appears Hobson doesn't remember the IR change as I remember reading him writing about the designation to be added to Peerman or WJIII.  Maybe he misstated we can only bring back one, maybe he doesn't get it. (Sorry, no links as I can't find the reference articles).

He gets it.  This is just an issue of semantics.  

They will both go to IR.  At week 8 they will evaluate the health of each player and their chances of contributing, as well as the status of the team.  When they are ready to activate one of those two players, said player will be designated to return and rejoin the 53 man roster.

So the label no longer need be applied at the beginning, because you can never foresee the future.  God forbid someone like Green, Geno, or Tez gets a 9 week injury in week 2.  This way we would be able to say the hell with Peerman and WJ3 and get back the super star instead.

There us a slim chance, however, that only one will go to IR.  If that is the case, it is because there is a very good chance the one on the 53 can come back full strength by mid-season as well.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
For a player to be eligible to be brought back to the active roster from IR means they must be on the 53 man squad as of 4PM today (4 Sep). That is why both Jackson and Peerman are on the roster. When they go on IR the new amendment to the rules doesn't require them to be immediately identified as the player to return as it did in the past. We shall get some idea of what the team is thinking when we see if one or both gets assigned to IR. If both go then we have 2 open spots which can be filled by someone we just released or another player released by another team.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote