Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Classless Lawyers
(05-12-2016, 01:25 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Unless they wanted the death penalty, why wouldn't they take a shot at not guilty? 

Because if he tries to lie his way out of the charge then no one will believe anything he says in the sentencing hearing.

When begging for mercy it helps to be truthful and admit the mistake.  So if the state has the evidence to get the conviction there is no need to even try and fight it.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2016, 01:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Because if he tries to lie his way out of the charge then no one will believe anything he says in the sentencing hearing.

When begging for mercy it helps to be truthful and admit the mistake.  So if the state has the evidence to get the conviction there is no need to even try and fight it.

I always assumed that prosecutors would jump at the chance to plead a death penalty case to life no parole, but I could swear Joe Deters said he would never make a deal in a death penalty case.  If a family member of mine were killed I may feel differently, but I have no problem with deals like that.  The guy is gone for good, no long expensive trial, and I'm pretty sure no appeals with a guilty plea.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2016, 02:22 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I always assumed that prosecutors would jump at the chance to plead a death penalty case to life no parole, but I could swear Joe Deters said he would never make a deal in a death penalty case.  If a family member of mine were killed I may feel differently, but I have no problem with deals like that.  The guy is gone for good, no long expensive trial, and I'm pretty sure no appeals with a guilty plea.  

Death penalty cases are actually pretty rare.  Then they often turn into political statements.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2016, 03:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Death penalty cases are actually pretty rare.  Then they often turn into political statements.

It will be interesting to see how the Dylann Roof case plays out.
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

Reply/Quote