Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clinton projected to win popular vote
(11-10-2016, 07:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That is a false statement, Pat.  Only in 2000 has a recent Republican won the Presidency, despite not winning the popular vote.  Prior to that, you have to go all the way back to 1844, in order to find another example.

He is about 300k votes behind her in the popular vote right now
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(11-10-2016, 07:49 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: So Trump won the popular vote on Tuesday?

I meant other than Trump, in recent memory.  Pat stated 3 out of the 5 past elections, which is false.

And besides, they are so close that once counting of provisional and absentee ballots is complete, Trump could very well have the popular vote.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(11-10-2016, 07:52 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: He is about 300k votes behind her in the popular vote right now

Which is about 0.1% of the US population.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(11-10-2016, 07:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I meant other than Trump, in recent memory.  Pat stated 3 out of the 5 past elections, which is false.

And besides, they are so close that once counting of provisional and absentee ballots is complete, Trump could very well have the popular vote.

I said Republicans lost the popular vote in 4 of the past 5 elections. 2000, 2008, 2012, and 2016.

That's true.

I then said that they managed to win 3 of those 5. 2000, 2004, and 2016.

That's also true.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(11-10-2016, 07:58 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Which is about 0.1% of the US population.

It's just sour grapes from the Left and soon will be no more than a footnote in history. The phrase Popular Vote was not even mentioned by anyone until Wednesday, now folks are saying we need to rewrite the way we have conducted business for centuries. But the Left needs a victim and/or to feel the victim. The latest is The Electoral College process is discriminatory against Dems. 

Got a dude in another thread that said I could quote him about how many Electoral votes (no mention of popular) Hills would beat Trump by; he was dead wrong, but now points to popular vote to try and explain why he was so wrong. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(11-10-2016, 08:01 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I said Republicans lost the popular vote in 4 of the past 5 elections. 2000, 2008, 2012, and 2016.

That's true.

I then said that they managed to win 3 of those 5. 2000, 2004, and 2016.

That's also true.

I guess that I read it too quickly.  My apologies, as I know from experience that you don't typically try to mislead people.

However, my later point still stands.  Once the provisional and absentee ballots are counted, that total may show Trump winning the popular vote.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
I think something to consider without having to tear up the Constitution, would give states a say, and allow the individual to feel his/her vote counted, would be for states to assign their EC based on percentages (I think 2 states do this kinda). Not sure if this is an answer and I'm am sure, just like the "Popular vote" concept would make campaigning in rural states pretty much a thing of the past.

I would further say that those pointing to popular vote after the election to indicate some form of victory is absurd. Both candidates ran with knowledge of how the Constitution works, If it were popular candidates would have spent more time in states they they had conceded. Does anybody think Trump couldn't have picked up a few more votes in Cali if had made it a focus of his campaign.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: byB23BI.png]
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR