Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
"Clutch"
(10-18-2023, 11:32 AM)jj22 Wrote: 5+ drives to close games (AFCC), 6+ drives to close games (SB), 7 drives (this last game) to close games. No points, no FG, mostly 3 and outs....

Do you still consider Burrow clutch?

or has he lost that title given his struggles to get the offense going when games have been on the line the last couple years.

There is the argument on social media that it has been our Defense that has been clutch, and Burrow and the Offense has failed more often then not the last couple years in the 4th quarter in close games.

I was going to make points to argue against...but honestly, i'm kind of wondering if he really is "that dude". 

Don't get me wrong. I'm not fully doubting it or saying no, i'm just starting to allow those thoughts to creep in my head...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
We all hope Joe is clutch in every chance he gets. Last year vs. KC sticks in everyone's head. Go back to the last 2 drives vs. KC in the championship game that sent us to the Super Bowl. If those aren't clutch I don't know what is.
Reply/Quote
I still think Burrow is clutch. Maybe not as much as I originally thought when we first drafted him. When we first drafted him we felt 2 minutes left in a close game (AFCC) and that was all we needed. He'd find a way.

I do feel like maybe the aura is slipping some given these long stretches of nothingness from the Offense that we've seen not just this year, but last year too. And all we needed was 1 drive for a score in the SB out of the 5+ we had the chance too. And that is notable given the QB's we think of as clutch (Brady) we would think would have gotten something in the 4th quarter given 5 shots.

I'm not sure if it's Burrow or playcalling. I'm willing to blame the playcalling. But who is "clutch" the play caller or the QB? Or the WideOut that helped make the play?

My point of the thread is I do wonder if Burrow is "clutch" the way we may have thought he was coming in. And I do wonder if the term is placed on QB's but really it's the playcalling and or playmakers that help make those moments possible. You never hear of a clutch Wideout, TE or RB..

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2023, 04:48 PM)brian5562 Wrote: We all hope Joe is clutch in every  chance he gets. Last year vs. KC sticks in everyone's head. Go back to the last 2 drives vs. KC in the championship game that sent us to the Super Bowl. If those aren't clutch I don't know what is.

Mixon was clutch in that last drive in the 2021 Championship game as he had big runs to get us in FG range. The Defense also was clutch with multiple goal line stands. Not that Burrow didn't play a role in those final moments. He made a good throw to Tee.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2023, 04:48 PM)brian5562 Wrote: We all hope Joe is clutch in every  chance he gets. Last year vs. KC sticks in everyone's head. Go back to the last 2 drives vs. KC in the championship game that sent us to the Super Bowl. If those aren't clutch I don't know what is.

That was 2 years ago. Last year in the AFCCG he got the ball two times in the 4th quarter when it was tied 20-20. He threw an INT on one of the possessions and we had to punt the other, eventually losing 23-20. 

Against Baltimore we had the ball twice with a 7 point lead (because of the Hubbard fumble return) but failed to score any points to put it away.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2023, 04:53 PM)jj22 Wrote: Mixon was clutch in that last drive in the 2021 Championship game as he had big runs to get us in FG range. The Defense also was clutch with multiple goal line stands. Not that Burrow didn't play a role in those final moments. He made a good throw to Tee.

This depends on what you mean by FG range. The Bengals got to the Chiefs 32 yard line very quickly which is well within Evan's range. Mixon had two carries for six yards to help get there. Then Mixon broke off a seven yard run and a 13 yard run. That got them to the 12 for a chip shot. 

Did Mixon do much to get them into FG range? Not really. Barely. Did Mixon make that FG a chip shot? Yes. The Bengals started at their own 45, so they didn't have far to go. 
Reply/Quote
Like has been mentioned several times, Burrow hasnt thrown a single TD in the 4th quarter in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2023, 06:37 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Like has been mentioned several times, Burrow hasnt thrown a single TD in the 4th quarter in the playoffs.

Well, our last QB only threw a single TD pass in his entire postseason career, so I guess it’s all relative. Wink

Reply/Quote
So did somebody in media bring this up? Is this why this is a topic?

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2023, 07:08 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: There's gotta be someone out there who named their kid "Clutch"....lol

There was a GI Joe character named Clutch. Does that count? Ninja

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2023, 09:57 AM)Wyche Wrote: There was a GI Joe character named Clutch. Does that count? Ninja

I demand a link now. Hilarious
Reply/Quote
[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2023, 02:29 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: I demand a link now. Hilarious

Ask, and ye shall receive! Tongue

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clutch_(G.I._Joe)

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-17-2023, 06:07 PM)jj22 Wrote: There was a comment recently that clutch isn't just defined by the 4th quarter. Thoughts?

When I think of a clutch performer, I think of one who remains outwardly calm and gets it done when the pressure is on.

Many "clutch" moments occur near the end of games, but sometimes and entire game can be a clutch performance.  As in the team needed that clutch, whole game performance in order to advance to the next round of the playoffs, etc.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
You're up by 3, its the two minute warning, 3rd and 11, opposing team has zero timeouts left, and Patrick Mahomes is their QB.

You throwing the ball to get the first down or are you handing the ball off putting the game in the defenses hands?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote