Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clyde Edwards-Helaire
There should be some serious talks on these boards about drafting this guy in the 3rd or 4th round. I think he offers a much higher upside at this point than Giovanni Bernard as a change of pace back and offers protection for the team if Mixon decides to move on next year and we don't resign him. Another guy I find super compelling is AJ Dillion out of boston college. The guy could serve as a hybrid Fullback/Shorty yardage back especially considering he's almost 250lbs! and 6'2". I will be super interested to see how he test at the combine and getting him in the 6th or 7th round could make a lot of sense.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I was a big fan of drafting Clyde Edwards-Helaire to pair up with Burrow then Thaddeus Moss declared...Moss did not drop a single catchable ball in 2019 and was on the same page as Burrow on scramble drills.

If I had to pick I would take Thaddeus Moss in the same draft range as Clyde Edwards-Helaire.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Too many needs. I’m a fan. But unless we do serious work in free agency and or trade down and load up on picks I don’t think we can make this type of luxury pick. We extended Gio and drafted two RBs last year. And I have no desire to move on from Mixon in his prime.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2020, 04:12 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Too many needs. I’m a fan. But unless we do serious work in free agency and or trade down and load up on picks I don’t think we can make this type of luxury pick. We extended Gio and drafted two RBs last year. And I have no desire to move on from Mixon in his prime.

I don't really see it as a luxury pick.  Joe could potentially pull a Melvin Gordon if he can't get what he wants in extension talks.  If that happens or he gets hurt, Gio can't carry the load.  Williams looked bad in preseason and couldn't even get on the field last year and who knows if Anderson will ever be healthy.  I wouldn't sweat it as much if we were going with a vet QB, but you don't want to be a one dimensional passing offense with a rookie QB.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2020, 04:12 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Too many needs. I’m a fan. But unless we do serious work in free agency and or trade down and load up on picks I don’t think we can make this type of luxury pick. We extended Gio and drafted two RBs last year. And I have no desire to move on from Mixon in his prime.

you don't want to get stuck on the treadmill of voting for need every year because it leads to terrible results.  This team needs to get back to draft BPA.

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2020, 01:31 PM)Whatever Wrote: I don't really see it as a luxury pick.  Joe could potentially pull a Melvin Gordon if he can't get what he wants in extension talks.  If that happens or he gets hurt, Gio can't carry the load.  Williams looked bad in preseason and couldn't even get on the field last year and who knows if Anderson will ever be healthy.  I wouldn't sweat it as much if we were going with a vet QB, but you don't want to be a one dimensional passing offense with a rookie QB.

I see your point, and agree to an extent.  In my latest mock, both Dobbins and Edwards-Helaire were sitting there, back to back, at the top of the board with the 65th pick.  It was very tempting to take one of them, however I showed a little restraint and went with an OT.  I think RB in the top half of the draft is a bit of a hard sell, seeing how the team added two RBs last year, and I'm sure that the team will be wanting to see them healthy and in action this year.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2020, 01:12 AM)Synric Wrote: I was a big fan of drafting Clyde Edwards-Helaire to pair up with Burrow then Thaddeus Moss declared...Moss did not drop a single catchable ball in 2019 and was on the same page as Burrow on scramble drills.

If I had to pick I would take Thaddeus Moss in the same draft range as Clyde Edwards-Helaire.

I'd prefer Moss over Clyde, too. It's not like our TE group is that great. Eifert might be gone, and Uzo is inconsistent. Oh, did I forget Sample?  Ninja  

Having Moss AND Sam Hubbard on the team would make Joe pretty comfortable with familiar faces. Sam and Joe are tight, and Thad is reportedly Joe's best friend. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2020, 03:16 PM)Okeana Wrote: you don't want to get stuck on the treadmill of voting for need every year because it leads to terrible results.  This team needs to get back to draft BPA.

Going BPA would be great this year Especially since we have the first pick in every round. If there were ever a year to do it it would be this one.

But when I’m doing mock drafts and offseasons I’m having a tough time getting to a 53 man roster. There are some craters on this roster.

I dont know if people have paid attention to what our recent early round OL picks have done. But I see a lot of people totally sold That we are A OK at OL because Jonah and Fred Johnson. Well if Jonah was scouted and selected by the same person who wanted Ogbuehi Fisher and Price... And Fred Johnson’s one start against a shitty Browns team isn’t a true measure of his ability. We are on our way to wrecking the #1 overall pick. Then we have Prince who was cut by a Dolphins team with a bad OL and an UDFA Dugas.

I’m trying to get off the treadmill of trash OL and LBs before I do anything else.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2020, 09:24 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Going BPA would be great this year Especially since we have the first pick in every round. If there were ever a year to do it it would be this one.

But when I’m doing mock drafts and offseasons I’m having a tough time getting to a 53 man roster. There are some craters on this roster.

I dont know if people have paid attention to what our recent early round OL picks have done. But I see a lot of people totally sold That we are A OK at OL because Jonah and Fred Johnson. Well if Jonah was scouted and selected by the same person who wanted Ogbuehi Fisher and Price... And Fred Johnson’s one start against a shitty Browns team isn’t a true measure of his ability. We are on our way to wrecking the #1 overall pick. Then we have Prince who was cut by a Dolphins team with a bad OL and an UDFA Dugas.

I’m trying to get off the treadmill of trash OL and LBs before I do anything else.

You KNOW he wasn't...
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2020, 03:16 PM)Okeana Wrote: you don't want to get stuck on the treadmill of voting for need every year because it leads to terrible results.  This team needs to get back to draft BPA.

Except drafting "BPA" resulted in some questionable picks like Dre Kirkpatrick, Kevin Zeitler, John Ross, Margus Hunt, etc.
All that really matters is who is doing the evaluations, and that's the Cincinnati Bengals. They may have someone rated very high who we scratch our heads on.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2020, 09:24 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Going BPA would be great this year Especially since we have the first pick in every round. If there were ever a year to do it it would be this one.

But when  I’m doing mock drafts and offseasons I’m having a tough time getting to a 53 man roster. There are some craters on this roster.

We know the coaches play a huge role in the evaluation and selection process for the Bengals. While Tobin and Marvin were here for all the Ogbuehi, Fisher, and Price picks, the OL coach for the first two was Alexander and the OL coach for Price was Pollack.
And we can't know for sure about how much Pollack liked Price, as we (and everyone else) knew the target was actually Frank Ragnow (who was stellar this past year).

Jonah Williams was basically in the same category as Tyler Eifert. The Bengals had no expectation that he would fall to them and it became a no-brainer when he actually did.
Out of all the OL picks the Bengals have made in the past decade, Jonah Williams was probably the safest and easiest of them all.
I just hope Williams doesn't follow Eifert's footsteps in terms of injury history once becoming a pro though.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2020, 11:57 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Except drafting "BPA" resulted in some questionable picks like Dre Kirkpatrick, Kevin Zeitler, John Ross, Margus Hunt, etc.
All that really matters is who is doing the evaluations, and that's the Cincinnati Bengals. They may have someone rated very high who we scratch our heads on.

so a cb we have gotten like 8 years out of and one of the best guards this team ever had is questionable picks?  Hunt is still just on his 2nd team and while its questionable he was the BPA he at least didn't wash out.  John Ross never had the issues in college he simply just hasn't panned out.  Compare this to players they forced because of need and its not even comparable.   You fill needs in free agency and draft the BPA for long term success.

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2020, 12:04 PM)ochocincos Wrote: We know the coaches play a huge role in the evaluation and selection process for the Bengals. While Tobin and Marvin were here for all the Ogbuehi, Fisher, and Price picks, the OL coach for the first two was Alexander and the OL coach for Price was Pollack.
And we can't know for sure about how much Pollack liked Price, as we (and everyone else) knew the target was actually Frank Ragnow (who was stellar this past year).

Jonah Williams was basically in the same category as Tyler Eifert. The Bengals had no expectation that he would fall to them and it became a no-brainer when he actually did.
Out of all the OL picks the Bengals have made in the past decade, Jonah Williams was probably the safest and easiest of them all.
I just hope Williams doesn't follow Eifert's footsteps in terms of injury history once becoming a pro though.

James Daniels graded out higher than both that year and was drafted after both.  He has had much more success at the NFL level.  I'm still not sure why we drafted price over daniels.  Hell, I remember I was all in on Isiah wynn that year and he was drafted after price as well.  I think they should just hire pff to do all their drafts from now on they would probably have more success lmao

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2020, 12:53 PM)Okeana Wrote: James Daniels graded out higher than both that year and was drafted after both.  He has had much more success at the NFL level.  I'm still not sure why we drafted price over daniels.  Hell, I remember I was all in on Isiah wynn that year and he was drafted after price as well.  I think they should just hire pff to do all their drafts from now on they would probably have more success lmao

Pollack liked power guys and Price was more of a power guy than Daniels was. If Price got his hands on someone (didn't always due to length and imbalance), he could drive off the ball well.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2020, 12:48 PM)Okeana Wrote: so a cb we have gotten like 8 years out of and one of the best guards this team ever had is questionable picks?  Hunt is still just on his 2nd team and while its questionable he was the BPA he at least didn't wash out.  John Ross never had the issues in college he simply just hasn't panned out.  Compare this to players they forced because of need and its not even comparable.   You fill needs in free agency and draft the BPA for long term success.

My reasoning for picking Kirkpatrick and Zeitler are the following:
Kirkpatrick has been meh. He's been good a times but there have been quite a few times he has really given up big plays. He's arguably not even the best (or second-best) CB on the team.
Zeitler was good but everyone thought the pick should have been DeCastro. DeCastro has been a multi-All Pro. If it was choosing true BPA, the pick should have been DeCastro over Zeitler, and that isn't even with 20/20 hindsight. DeCastro was the better prospect at the time.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2020, 01:10 PM)ochocincos Wrote: My reasoning for picking Kirkpatrick and Zeitler are the following:
Kirkpatrick has been meh. He's been good a times but there have been quite a few times he has really given up big plays. He's arguably not even the best (or second-best) CB on the team.
Zeitler was good but everyone thought the pick should have been DeCastro. DeCastro has been a multi-All Pro. If it was choosing true BPA, the pick should have been DeCastro over Zeitler, and that isn't even with 20/20 hindsight. DeCastro was the better prospect at the time.

I would still consider Zeitler an extremely good draft choice considering their position.  I still consider that one of the best drafts we have ever had.  In hindsight trading back missing DeCastro for a Brandon Thompson probably wasn't the best move =) we did get Marvin jones out of the deal at the time and that seemed to work out really well.

Zeitler, Kirkpatrick, Sanu, Jones, Iloka, Burfic UDFA

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2020, 02:57 PM)Okeana Wrote:   I would still consider Zeitler an extremely good draft choice considering their position.  I still consider that one of the best drafts we have ever had.  In hindsight trading back missing DeCastro for a Brandon Thompson probably wasn't the best move =) we did get Marvin jones out of the deal at the time and that seemed to work out really well.

Zeitler, Kirkpatrick, Sanu, Jones, Iloka, Burfic UDFA

I think my inclusion of Zeitler and Kirkpatrick has caused some (like yourself) to think I put them in the same category as Hunt, Ross, etc.
I didn't mean to imply that.
I simply meant to say that they were not, IMO, true Best Player Available.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
If we pick a running back I'd like it to be a late round full back/tight end. Someone similar to the guy the niners have.
Reply/Quote
Would like Moss or Helaire in the 3rd or 4th since it would help make Burrow comfortable.

Get the Line shored up first though.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2020, 10:06 PM)Okeana Wrote: There should be some serious talks on these boards about drafting this guy in the 3rd or 4th round.  I think he offers a much higher upside at this point than Giovanni Bernard as a change of pace back and offers protection for the team if Mixon decides to move on next year and we don't resign him.  Another guy I find super compelling is AJ Dillion out of boston college.  The guy could serve as a hybrid Fullback/Shorty yardage back especially considering he's almost 250lbs! and 6'2".   I will be super interested to see how he test at the combine and getting him in the 6th or 7th round could make a lot of sense.

JB says he was hands down the best athlete on their championship team. I watched him play a lot as well, has a chance to be very good in the NFL. 
Reply/Quote