Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coach Anarumo
(06-17-2019, 09:01 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: I would say the biggest problem this organization has had in the last three seasons is our dumbass GM Tobin. Losing Jones, Whit, and Zeitler in back to back off seasons was a killer. Also injuries played a big role in 16 and 18. There was no hope in 17.

Yep. Losses are one thing, but they missed on A LOT of draft picks. There were some hits, but many more misses than you need to stay competitive.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2019, 11:05 AM)BNSF Wrote: The reality is this

Lou Anarumo was a bad secondary coach in NY

The teams he did coach in the secondary got torched

There were 4 other candidates the bengals wanted before him

They settled on lou so they wouldn’t continue to be embarrassed publicly

He was the interim DC for Miami years back and was awful.  They did not retain him

And now he’s here.

While your takes are a bit overly negative, I will admit I get some uncomfortable vibes from Lou's resume.  He's lucky he's replacing a god awful coach before him, though.  If our defense can make it out of the bottom 10 we are going to be elated.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2019, 11:59 AM)Nately120 Wrote: While your takes are a bit overly negative, I will admit I get some uncomfortable vibes from Lou's resume.  He's lucky he's replacing a God awful coach before him, though.  If our defense can make it out of the bottom 10 we are going to be elated.

Really the resume of a lot of our new hires isn't great.

Does that doom the team? No.

Is it comforting? No.

Id' say it's your classic high risk/high reward scenario. There's atleast some small chance that ZT becomes a great coach. There's also a chance that the staff totally flops.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2019, 12:02 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Really the resume of a lot of our new hires isn't great.

Does that doom the team? No.

Is it comforting? No.

Id' say it's your classic high risk/high reward scenario. There's atleast some small chance that ZT becomes a great coach. There's also a chance that the staff totally flops.

We are certainly buying in big and early on these guys.  At least it's interesting. 
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2019, 11:02 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: True, but we expect the new coaches to take arguably the worst defense (arguably) in the NFL in 2018 to one of the best in one year. BB is a great coach, but no Tom Brady chances are high his success rate is far lower. Talent at the key positions (like HOF QB and best to ever play the game) make coaches look great too.

Good point....it takes both....but it is my opinion that coaching is a huge part of it.  For example, I think Belichick could have had this team in at least the AFCG.  Bill did still win quite a few games when Brady was out of the lineup with the likes of Jacoby Brissett and Matt Cassell.  Brady is probably the difference between SB wins and just winning games and a few playoff games.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-18-2019, 01:09 PM)Wyche Wrote: Good point....it takes both....but it is my opinion that coaching is a huge part of it.  For example, I think Belichick could have had this team in at least the AFCG.  Bill did still win quite a few games when Brady was out of the lineup with the likes of Jacoby Brissett and Matt Cassell.  Brady is probably the difference between SB wins and just winning games and a few playoff games.

I agree with you about coaching making the difference.  Hell, BB led Cleveland to a playoff win, and they fired him..  Had Cleveland held onto him, it would have been rough sledding in the AFCN, for the past 20+ years.  Hell, for that matter, they might still even be the original Browns.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2019, 01:09 PM)Wyche Wrote: Good point....it takes both....but it is my opinion that coaching is a huge part of it.  For example, I think Belichick could have had this team in at least the AFCG.  Bill did still win quite a few games when Brady was out of the lineup with the likes of Jacoby Brissett and Matt Cassell.  Brady is probably the difference between SB wins and just winning games and a few playoff games.

Good point.  There are lots of QBs with playoff wins that people have a hard time picturing hoisting a Lombardi.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2019, 02:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree with you about coaching making the difference.  Hell, BB led Cleveland to a playoff win, and they fired him..  Had Cleveland held onto him, it would have been rough sledding in the AFCN, for the past 20+ years.  Hell, for that matter, they might still even be the original Browns.

Man, am I glad that didn’t happen. Yet, with the coaching staff we have, it would be awesome if we became that ultimate team to beat, not only in the AFCN, but the entire AFC.

Reply/Quote
(06-18-2019, 11:57 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. Losses are one thing, but they missed on A LOT of draft picks. There were some hits, but many more misses than you need to stay competitive.

Missed draft picks can be made up for in the form of free agents, but since this team does does not choose this path we are destined to literally live or die by the draft. Good thing we have the largest scouting staff in the league as any smart team would who relied so heavily on it. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(06-18-2019, 02:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree with you about coaching making the difference.  Hell, BB led Cleveland to a playoff win, and they fired him..  Had Cleveland held onto him, it would have been rough sledding in the AFCN, for the past 20+ years.  Hell, for that matter, they might still even be the original Browns.

That's a scary thought. Shocked He had assembled a nice staff up there, glad they were stupid....lol.

(06-18-2019, 02:31 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Good point.  There are lots of QBs with playoff wins that people have a hard time picturing hoisting a Lombardi.

Truth.  On the flip side, there is also a smattering of QBs people would have a hard time believing they could lead a team to playoff wins that have SB rings.....carried by coaches like Bill Parcells and great surrounding casts.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote

The Bengals could have fired Lewis on the spot and hired BB, but Nooooooooo! Mike Brown and his infinite loyalty and ideas to honor bad contracts...Not that Lewis had a really bad contract, but still...
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-19-2019, 09:31 AM)grampahol Wrote: The Bengals could have fired Lewis on the spot and hired BB, but Nooooooooo! Mike Brown and his infinite loyalty and ideas to honor bad contracts...Not that Lewis had a really bad contract, but still...

Bengals management obviously value a comfortable working relationship with a coach and valued not being 90's bad and viewed being the 12th to 15th best team in the league as success. Probably every other owner in the NFL fires Lewis after 7 years or so of no playoff wins.
Reply/Quote
BBs tenure with the Browns ended in 95, went on to asst HC/DB for Pats in 96, asst HC/DC for Jets in 97-99. 96 was Shula's last year, replaced by Our Savior Bruce Coslet mid season. BC was our HC in 2000 when BB became the Pats HC. Bad timing for us, lol
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
PS many coaches, including BB, learn from their mistakes in previous tenures, and go on to improve themselves. Will our veteran coaches? It seems the simplest thing, to put aside one's ego and LEARN, yet most, it seems, would rather die than adapt.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2019, 09:31 AM)grampahol Wrote: The Bengals could have fired Lewis on the spot and hired BB, but Nooooooooo! Mike Brown and his infinite loyalty and ideas to honor bad contracts...Not that Lewis had a really bad contract, but still...

Yeah they sure could have. Too bad they did not have your crystal ball to already know the success that Belichick would go on to have.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2019, 12:04 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: The defense starts the year off against average offensive teams, at Seattle, SF at home and then Bills on road. If we are ranked in top 10 after week 3 on schedule alone, we may be in for a long year.

You mean a few games against duds doesn't make you the greatest team in the history of the game?
Yeah...this stuff has to be sustained throughout the season and through the post season. A few good starts are nice, but starts don't make champions of anything..

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-22-2019, 08:24 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Yeah they sure could have. Too bad they did not have your crystal ball to already know the success that Belichick would go on to have.

Oh ye have little faith in my crystal ball. See? It works just fine. I'm ending this post right now! 

Reply/Quote