Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coach Anarumo
Let’s wait until he actually has to call a game. Being a great coach is different from being a great coordinator.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2019, 12:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am all for teaching technique.

But when your basic scheme against the run game is "Tackle the guy with the ball" I think you are a few steps behind the average NFL DC.  The fact is that on a running play certain positions are supposed to control a space on the field instead of just running toward the ball carrier.

Well...the scheme only works if the positions coaches tell the players 'Don't let them score'. If not, it all breaks down!  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
Marvin: 'We've got to play better!!!' <-- Forum Opinion = Terrible Coach
New DC: 'Tackle the guy with the ball. Stop the guy from catch it.' <-- Forum Opinion - Great coach and great teacher! Just what we needed!
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2019, 11:47 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Please tell me this I a joke.

Well, they didn't seem to be able to do much of either last season, so back to the basics!

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2019, 01:20 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Marvin: 'We've got to play better!!!' <-- Forum Opinion = Terrible Coach
New DC: 'Tackle the guy with the ball. Stop the guy from catch it.' <-- Forum Opinion - Great coach and great teacher! Just what we needed!

We had 16 years of bullshit to go by with Marvin, so........ Mellow

Reply/Quote
(06-14-2019, 12:59 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Let’s wait until he actually has to call a game. Being a great coach is different from being a great coordinator.

Right, he's gonna have to call the game efficiently to be a good coordinator......but his teaching of the D is evidently better than what was here last year.

Reply/Quote
(06-14-2019, 01:31 PM)Wyche Wrote: Well, they didn't seem to be able to do much of either last season, so back to the basics!

Freds point is working on Tackling is one thing. From a strategy perspective, he better be doing much more than telling them to tackle the guy with the ball and stop the guy from catching it. You need a whole scheme with guys knowing where to go and be.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2019, 11:47 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Please tell me this I a joke.

It was a paraphrase Fred but I would certainly think someone of your intelligence level would get the gist of what Lou was saying in that many times things can be made more complicated than what they are. These guys have grown up playing the game and much of what has made them this successful has been their instinct for the game and that is what he wants to see more from them. React to what you know rather than thinking it through.

Pretty sure you knew everything I just stated Fred. Leave it to Beaver I guess.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2019, 01:43 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Freds point is working on Tackling is one thing. From a strategy perspective, he better be doing much more than telling them to tackle the guy with the ball and stop the guy from catching it. You need a whole scheme with guys knowing where to go and be.

Again as with Fred I am pretty sure you did not need this explained to you but apparently I was wrong and forgot how completely literal many on these boards take every single thing that is stated.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2019, 12:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am all for teaching technique.

But when your basic scheme against the run game is "Tackle the guy with the ball" I think you are a few steps behind the average NFL DC.  The fact is that on a running play certain positions are supposed to control a space on the field instead of just running toward the ball carrier.

Exactly what I did not miss at all about these boards.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2019, 02:33 PM)OSUfan Wrote: It was a paraphrase Fred but I would certainly think someone of your intelligence level would get the gist of what Lou was saying in that many times things can be made more complicated than what they are. These guys have grown up playing the game and much of what has made them this successful has been their instinct for the game and that is what he wants to see more from them. React to what you know rather than thinking it through.

Pretty sure you knew everything I just stated Fred. Leave it to Beaver I guess.

Personally I have always been wary of anyone trying to do anything at the absolute highest level complaining that it is "too complicated".  

Seems to me people are just cheering anything the coaches say.  What if Anarumo comes out and runs a straight 4-3 every play with the same coverage scheme every time?  You going to be thrilled by his "simplification"?  The truth is that NFL football is very complex.  A big part of it is mental.  Defenses have to be able to disguise coverages and changes things up.  If the players can't learn this stuff then we need to get smarter players instead of dumber schemes.

In college and high school the top players can get by with just reacting and using their superior physical skills, but that won't cut it in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2019, 02:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Personally I have always been wary of anyone trying to do anything at the absolute highest level complaining that it is "too complicated".  

Seems to me people are just cheering anything the coaches say.  What if Anarumo comes out and runs a straight 4-3 every play with the same coverage scheme every time?  You going to be thrilled by his "simplification"?  The truth is that NFL football is very complex.  A big part of it is mental.  Defenses have to be able to disguise coverages and changes things up.  If the players can't learn this stuff then we need to get smarter players instead of dumber schemes.

In college and high school the top players can get by with just reacting and using their superior physical skills, but that won't cut it in the NFL.

My personal opinion....this defense played well enough under Guenther after Zim left.  The same defense that was middle of the pack under Paul, became almost historically bad in one season.  Either Austin left way too many "gray areas" in his reads and scheme, or he just didn't teach it very well.  That same unit avoided breaking NFL records when Marvin took over with a slew of injuries to boot.  Sometimes, a guy will overthink things, and either Austin's scheme allowed for the players to do this which led to confusion on the field, or Austin himself overthought it.  Hence, the "complicated" talk.......

Reply/Quote
(06-14-2019, 02:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Personally I have always been wary of anyone trying to do anything at the absolute highest level complaining that it is "too complicated".  

I completely understand your point and respect what you are saying. However, you can absolutely out think yourself with schemes. The Patriots are really not a complex offense at all. However, they just execute at a nearly flawless pace. They are notorious for running the same plays and simply moving players around within the configuration of that play.

I also believe you are taking "simplification" out of context. Running the same scheme every down is not simplification it is stupidity but good to see that you have not lost your touch for completely ridiculous hypotheticals. Simplification can be as easy as changing terminology in many cases to wording that the players can pick up better.

I am sure when the comment were made to Grimes that they were being done to simply prove a point to Grimes that you do not have to over think the game. That is how I understood it and from the Grimes interview it would seem that is how he understood it. It would appear that the translation was lost upon you.
Reply/Quote
He's the best minicamp DC I've never laid my eyes on
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2019, 03:03 PM)Wyche Wrote: My personal opinion....this defense played well enough under Guenther after Zim left.  The same defense that was middle of the pack under Paul, became almost historically bad in one season.  Either Austin left way too many "gray areas" in his reads and scheme, or he just didn't teach it very well.  That same unit avoided breaking NFL records when Marvin took over with a slew of injuries to boot.  Sometimes, a guy will overthink things, and either Austin's scheme allowed for the players to do this which led to confusion on the field, or Austin himself overthought it.  Hence, the "complicated" talk.......

I haven't checked but have the rest of Austin's defenses been super bad?  He's an assistant with the Steelers now, so lets hope so.
Reply/Quote

I'm agreeing with you Fred. In preseason we always hear that teams play vanilla defenses and the offenses can carve them up.

We definitely do need to throw some wrinkles in...especially with the LB's we have because if the other team knows what's coming...it's going to be a bad year defensively.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2019, 05:10 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I completely understand your point and respect what you are saying. However, you can absolutely out think yourself with schemes. The Patriots are really not a complex offense at all. However, they just execute at a nearly flawless pace. They are notorious for running the same plays and simply moving players around within the configuration of that play.

I also believe you are taking "simplification" out of context. Running the same scheme every down is not simplification it is stupidity but good to see that you have not lost your touch for completely ridiculous hypotheticals. Simplification can be as easy as changing terminology in many cases to wording that the players can pick up better.

I am sure when the comment were made to Grimes that they were being done to simply prove a point to Grimes that you do not have to over think the game. That is how I understood it and from the Grimes interview it would seem that is how he understood it. It would appear that the translation was lost upon you.

The Patriots run one of the most complex offenses in the league and run A LOT of different plays. Chad Johnson went there and struggled to learn it.

But don't take my word. Take the Boston Herald's:

'Inman’s proven ability to catch on quickly, as he demonstrated last season in his rapid rise up the Colts depth chart, should help. The Patriots offense is famously complex. Rookie receivers can often become overwhelmed, and even veteran wideouts often struggle to fit in.'
Reply/Quote
Clearly Lou has the attention and respect of the players waaaay more than Austin or Marvin. No players were saying crap like this. I do remember Kirkpatrick saying he liked the emphasis put on turnovers, but no one was talking Austin up at all. W3 was talking about hoping for the pro bowl last year this time, and not talking about loving the coach and wanting to listen and do everything he is told because he thinks it will elevate his game. No one was raving at how good of a coach and teacher Austin was. Marvin either.

I would be willing to bet money that Lou has a scheme and ways to make real actual game plans and things of that nature. We will see what thats like, but imo no matter what the scheme is, if the players really like the coaches and want to play hard for them, it will always end up looking better regardless. The players seem to like him in a similar way to how players loved Dick LeBeau. I cant remember comments like this from defensive players since then.
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2019, 09:47 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Reading the article Hobson put out about the defense, I'm really loving what players are saying about coach Anarumo. This isnt just being PC for reporters, this is pretty good stuff.

Some highlights from the article https://www.bengals.com/news/revived-defense-a-must-see-in-mandatories

“You get to see him today. Just go out there and see him,” said Jackson, who senses Anarumo is lining up behind him every play. “I don’t know how to explain last year. It feels like new players in here.

“Everything is black-and-white. There’s no gray. With Lou, he’s on my case 100 percent of the time,” Jackson said. “He’s harder on me than anyone who’s ever coached me.”

“Basically, it’s all the same dudes,” said Boyd, a fourth-year wide receiver who admittedly is having problems finding the windows in the defense that were so open in practice last year. “But they’re teaching it so well over there, it seems like they’ve been playing together since before I even got here … They dominated (Tuesday) at the end of practice, so it’s great to see that. The defense is starting to win some days. We know we’ve got a high-powered offense, but it’s always good to see these guys bring the energy.”

“I think we’ve established some accountability in the room from top to bottom and that has shown on the field,” Bates said of the overall defense. “I feel really good about what we’ve done so far, but we have to keep building on it.

“The genuine energy he actually gives off. He wants you to be great,” Jackson said. “He’s behind me 95 percent of the time and he’s telling me what I’m doing badly and what I’m doing great. When you’ve got a coach like that, you can’t help but love him. I’m going to listen to everything he says this year and I’m pretty sure my game is going to escalate.”

“He definitely has a little spark to him. We love him. We’re having fun,” Jackson said of that New York state of mind. “It’s not faking it. Everyone is on the same page. We definitely look like a new (defense). He lets us know exactly what he wants done and he’s teaching the way he wants it done. If you can’t get it done, you’re of the field.”

We may have found a diamond in the rough with this dude. I dig his attitude in interviews and I'm glad we got him the more I learn. Lou has the makings of a helluv a coach.

I get the skepticism from many that will say this is the typical Hobson fluff, and so one...

However, when a player like Boyd describes how they had difficulties against the defense after a previous article had AJ saying how Marv didn't want the offense to show up the defense in practice...Well, it looks as if something has changed.

Last year the defense for much of the season was setting records for ineptitude.  Down the stretch, after Austin's termination, they looked better (largely due to more man defense) but weren't going to be confused for the 85 Bears or anything close to that.

This year, I see the talent that we were so optimistic of on the defensive line a year ago with a new scheme that supposedly is going to be more aggressive.  They bolstered the middle of the line with the addition of Wren, and have Glasgow coming back off of injury.  Billings in year 3.  Added depth at end with Wynn.  

A year ago I thought they might break the franchise records for sacks, only to fall on their faces.  Rarely blitzing, and rarely having an answer for a team that goes maximum protection.  I have a feeling this defense will be different and substantially better than the unit of last year.  With this offense, a middling defense might be enough.  Top 10?  I won't hold my breath, but I absolutely believe they have the talent.  
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2019, 10:50 AM)PV Bengal Wrote: I hope coach Lou isn't just farting around with the defense.

I was just going to let it lie, but this was funny
Reply/Quote