Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coach Anarumo
(06-17-2019, 12:39 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Gross!  Mellow

Hey, we're all hoping Anarumo's unit plays hard and doesn't blow it's load early in games. Ammirite? Big Grin
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2019, 12:44 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Hey, we're all hoping Anarumo's unit plays hard and doesn't blow it's load early in games. Ammirite? Big Grin

HA! This reminds me of an episode from best of Bob Menery on youtube with the japanese stair climbing competition.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2019, 06:55 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Are they working on blocking and tackling with no pads?

Pistons, you just asked the $500,000 fine question.

Yes, the fundamentals of both are taught without live contact :)
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2019, 12:44 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Hey, we're all hoping Anarumo's unit plays hard and doesn't blow it's load early in games. Ammirite? Big Grin

They better play hard because the competition will be stiff...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(06-17-2019, 12:42 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I believe we were citing the 2005 offense being top-tier and the defense having an unimpressive rank, but being inordinately good at snagging the ball and creating turnovers as the reason for optimism.  My cynical take is that it is entirely possible one of our new coaches is going to be the reason the season was a "waste" like Zampese and Austin were.  We have so many in over their heads coaches that it's going to take a lot of luck that I don't think the Bengals have for them to succeed right away.

But this just comes down to the excuses we make when things go wrong and how we've had 3 wasted seasons in a row.  Let's see....

2015 - Dalton injured
2016 - Zampese is crap
2017 - Zampese is crap
2018- Lazor is crap, Austin is crap, Marvin is crap
Dishonorable Mention:  1992 - 2018 - Our HC's are all crap

I just can't help but feel like betting our team is healthy and all of our coaches aren't crap is like going to Vegas and putting it all on 00 green.  

Yeah...it's like saying IF these 10 variables all come together perfectly, we could contend.

Meanwhile, other teams have a couple of those variables fail and still contend.
Reply/Quote
There is no way a defense with Geno Atkins and Carlos Dunlap on the line, with a top 7 backfield, should be last in the league. Last year was an aberration. Injuries and scheme. I have faith Lou will have the defense looking sharp this year and will shock some people.
Reply/Quote
Really this all comes down to scheme and whether the players back from injury are really back. If the scheme is sound and our players do their thing this defense should be sound.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2019, 12:42 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I believe we were citing the 2005 offense being top-tier and the defense having an unimpressive rank, but being inordinately good at snagging the ball and creating turnovers as the reason for optimism.  My cynical take is that it is entirely possible one of our new coaches is going to be the reason the season was a "waste" like Zampese and Austin were.  We have so many in over their heads coaches that it's going to take a lot of luck that I don't think the Bengals have for them to succeed right away.

But this just comes down to the excuses we make when things go wrong and how we've had 3 wasted seasons in a row.  Let's see....

2015 - Dalton injured
2016 - Zampese is crap
2017 - Zampese is crap

I just can't help but feel like betting our team is healthy and all of our coaches aren't crap is like going to Vegas and putting it all on 00 green.  

Zampese was crap, and it appears Austin was below average.  Lazor came in and immediately improved the offense.....he was an average OC to me.  He had a solid plan A, but plan B wasn't very good, and injuries may have hampered that.  Austin's defense was horrible, and Marvin was able to turn it around at the end of the season with a unit that was playing backups to backups at some positions.  Both of those instances point to poor coaching.  

Some people don't like to hear it, but this is a coach's league.  The game of football is a coach's game.  For a few years, Marvin had some really good assistants.  Three of them became HCs.  Like our beleaguered OL, they weren't replaced with adequate talent.  KZ should have never been an OC. Never.  Austin is a decent to good defensive assistant, but a below average DC. It is what it is.

The hope moving forward is that these assistants are good, and that the coordinators were good enough to warrant a promotion.  Marvin's message had grown stale, and he really lost the team after the WC meltdown, IMO.  Zac is bringing a new message and schemes, and we'll soon see if they can get the job done.  

One thing's for certain, it's not the same ol, same ol, and that defense does not have 32nd in the league talent on it.  Perhaps they are no better than 20th, but they're not 32nd bad.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-17-2019, 01:48 PM)Sled21 Wrote: There is no way a defense with Geno Atkins and Carlos Dunlap on the line, with a top 7 backfield, should be last in the league. Last year was an aberration. Injuries and scheme. I have faith Lou will have the defense looking sharp this year and will shock some people.

(06-17-2019, 02:24 PM)Joelist Wrote: Really this all comes down to scheme and whether the players back from injury are really back. If the scheme is sound and our players do their thing this defense should be sound.

Agreed.

And an offensive scheme that protects the defense. Too many three and outs left the D out on the field much too long last year.

Would hate to see Anarumo doing a Buddy Ryan to Taylor on TV.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2019, 12:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am all for teaching technique.

But when your basic scheme against the run game is "Tackle the guy with the ball" I think you are a few steps behind the average NFL DC.  The fact is that on a running play certain positions are supposed to control a space on the field instead of just running toward the ball carrier.

LOL Fred, it's the comments that is important, but you're taking it all out of perspective and literally.
OFC there will be players doing their assignments and others attacking the ball carrier, it's common sense really.
Reply/Quote

2015 - Dalton injured
2016 - Zampese is crap
2017 - Zampese is crap

I would say the biggest problem this organization has had in the last three seasons is our dumbass GM Tobin. Losing Jones, Whit, and Zeitler in back to back off seasons was a killer. Also injuries played a big role in 16 and 18. There was no hope in 17.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2019, 12:42 PM)Nately120 Wrote: But this just comes down to the excuses we make when things go wrong and how we've had 3 wasted seasons in a row.  Let's see....

2015 - Dalton injured
2016 - Zampese is crap
2017 - Zampese is crap

Do you disagree with any of those critiques over the last four years? I wouldn't call those excuses, those are actual factors. The only factors? No. But come on man, you can't tell me those are just excuses.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2019, 12:17 PM)Wyche Wrote: To the best of my recollection, that was the reason for pause when he was hired.  His defenses weren't super bad in Detroit, but they were bottom half of the league.  Anyone have anything to back up my memory?

Austin's defense in Detroit was good, when he had Fairley and Suh playing DT.  They quickly fell off, without them.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2019, 10:58 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Do you disagree with any of those critiques over the last four years? I wouldn't call those excuses, those are actual factors. The only factors? No. But come on man, you can't tell me those are just excuses.

They're legit...I'm just hoping one of our new coaches with shaky resumes isn't a legit reason 2019 is a waste. 
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2019, 08:54 AM)Nately120 Wrote: They're legit...I'm just hoping one of our new coaches with shaky resumes isn't a legit reason 2019 is a waste. 

That is a fair assessment for sure.....same here.

Reply/Quote
(06-18-2019, 08:14 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Austin's defense in Detroit was good, when he had Fairley and Suh playing DT.  They quickly fell off, without them.

That's what I thought....they weren't very good his last couple of seasons.

Reply/Quote
We spend a lot of time holding coaches accountable, but little holding our star players who make a lot of money and are paid to be outstanding to high standards of production.

This thread is all about placing blame/success 90% on the coaches and 10% on players. I think it should be 75% on the players and 25% on the coach. A great coach can only get so much out of a bad player.

Let's hope Geno and Carlos step up. Dre, Dennard and William Jackson become ball hawks. Our rookie LB's help the LB corp. Bates continues to improve. Lawson and Glasgow come back better than prior to their injuries.

If a coach can get a player to be 10% better multiplied by 11 starters, then the results will be better. However, that is hard to do so our new coaches have their work cut out for them.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2019, 10:27 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: We spend a lot of time holding coaches accountable, but little holding our star players who make a lot of money and are paid to be outstanding to high standards of production.

This thread is all about placing blame/success 90% on the coaches and 10% on players. I think it should be 75% on the players and 25% on the coach. A great coach can only get so much out of a bad player.

Let's hope Geno and Carlos step up. Dre, Dennard and William Jackson become ball hawks. Our rookie LB's help the LB corp. Bates continues to improve. Lawson and Glasgow come back better than prior to their injuries.

If a coach can get a player to be 10% better multiplied by 11 starters, then the results will be better. However, that is hard to do so our new coaches have their work cut out for them.

Football is a game of strategy......if your strategy is off, it doesn't matter how fancy your chess pieces are, you'll still lose.

Reply/Quote
(06-18-2019, 10:56 AM)Wyche Wrote: Football is a game of strategy......if your strategy is off, it doesn't matter how fancy your chess pieces are, you'll still lose.

True, but we expect the new coaches to take arguably the worst defense (arguably) in the NFL in 2018 to one of the best in one year. BB is a great coach, but no Tom Brady chances are high his success rate is far lower. Talent at the key positions (like HOF QB and best to ever play the game) make coaches look great too.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
The reality is this

Lou Anarumo was a bad secondary coach in NY

The teams he did coach in the secondary got torched

There were 4 other candidates the bengals wanted before him

They settled on lou so they wouldn’t continue to be embarrassed publicly

He was the interim DC for Miami years back and was awful. They did not retain him

And now he’s here.
Reply/Quote