Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Coach Austin
(10-22-2018, 12:09 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: He is hamstrung by the LBers that can't cover and can't play in space. What the hell was Duke thinking in signing Brown. Also Jefferson needs to sink or swim;Play the kid!

551 yards goes way beyond one position group.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 09:18 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Dear Coach Austin,

It's just not working out for us.

Sincerely,
The fans

Dear fans and city of Cincinnati,
 I know you have been truly disappointed with the way this defense has performed this season and in particular these last two weeks. But bear with me, I have a vision...a. plan....and its going just as I predicted. My ineptness of running this defense is putting me in the perfect position as Marvin's successor. Mike Brown told me he was very happy with my results so far and bigger things are in store for me and to keep doing exactly what Im doing.

Good things,
Coach Austin (soon to be Head Coach Austin)
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 01:50 PM)Fullrock Wrote: Y'all better get used to Austin. He ain't going anywhere. He was brought in to be the next head coach.

My thoughts exactly, Also when Marv hired all the new coaches he was asked in an interview about them and he said that they had came in as they knew they would be here for at least the 2 years that Marv was staying.

We can't all jump on the defence just because the last 2 games have been bad, did any of us realistically expect to beat KC last night?
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 02:08 PM)JWW1971 Wrote: My thoughts exactly, Also when Marv hired all the new coaches he was asked in an interview about them and he said that they had came in as they knew they would be here for at least the 2 years that Marv was staying.

We can't all jump on the defence just because the last 2 games have been bad, did any of us realistically expect to beat KC last night?

Maybe not expect them to win.  But I at least thought that we'd see a spirited, competitive performance out there.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 09:58 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Dude was not a good hire.

Would Mike Brown give that type of control to a Coordinator? I don't think so. Mike Brown has a firm grip on every aspect of the day to day football operation of this team.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 02:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Maybe not expect them to win.  But I at least thought that we'd see a spirited, competitive performance out there.

I figured about a 35-31 type of affair if the defense got a couple of turnovers......42-28 if they didn't.  No way did I see a 35 point shellacking.  Just another Mediocre Merv Meltdown.  We were outcoached on top of being outclassed last night.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 02:02 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I do hope that you are just blowing off some frustration, as that would seem to be a move for the worst..
A friend works for the organization and their job entails working very closely with the coaching staff. Austin was definitely brought in to succeed Marvin as head coach. I would imagine that could change if the defense performs so poorly  it makes ownership question it, but I wouldn't count on it. 
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 02:03 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: 551 yards goes way beyond one position group.

It really doesn't; if you have to change your scheme because one unit can not do it's job then it affects the entire team. LBers can't cover man forces rest of defense into Zone where they struggle and boom you have what happened last night.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 02:50 PM)Wyche Wrote: I figured about a 35-31 type of affair if the defense got a couple of turnovers......42-28 if they didn't.  No way did I see a 35 point shellacking.  Just another Mediocre Merv Meltdown.  We were outcoached on top of being outclassed last night.

Yup. Andy Reid just absolutely schooled Austin and the defense last night. They dictated exactly what they wanted to do on offense, and in response the D would have Williams covering Tyrik Hill for example. Derp.

Then on the flipside, Lazor seemed clueless trying to dictate his weapons on the porous Chiefs weaknesses.

One thing last night showed me is that this team is far away from doing anything with Marvin, Lazor, and Austin as the top 3 coaches.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
It's hilarious how one bad coordinator can ruin a defense that's been good since 2009.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 04:48 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Yup. Andy Reid just absolutely schooled Austin and the defense last night. They dictated exactly what they wanted to do on offense, and in response the D would have Williams covering Tyrik Hill for example. Derp.

Then on the flipside, Lazor seemed clueless trying to dictate his weapons on the porous Chiefs weaknesses.

One thing last night showed me is that this team is far away from doing anything with Marvin, Lazor, and Austin as the top 3 coaches.

Gotta agree.  I've liked what Lazor had done up to this point.....hoping this was a blip on the radar, but the performance against Pitt, combined with this has me taking notice.  We'll soon see.

Talent wise, there are a few holes that needed patched coming into the season.....still think they're a year with a solid offseason and good draft away from being a serious contender.  

Austin has been VERY underwhelming to say the least.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
We needed to run the ball way more, both against Pitt and the Chiefs. Instead Lazor wants Andy to throw it 38-40 times a game. I used to like Lazor, but now I think he's just a dumb ass.
Reply/Quote
This defense has had it's issues for awhile now, going back to last season.

In the last 18 games...the D has given up 400+ yards 9 times, has allowed 112+ yards rushing 13 times (including 149+ 7 times) and are averaging just 1 turnover per game. 

Austin took over a unit that had struggled quite a bit in the last 11 games of 2017. Unfortunately, I think the 'go for the turnover' mentality that is a big part of his scheme has led to more problems. The first big run by Hunt last night was a good example. Dre was clearly going for the strip, instead of the tackle and it led to yet another big play. We saw some of the missed tackled / bad tackling last year, but it seems to have gotten worse this season. 

On the other hand, if they are making those tackles, getting pressure on a more consistently and actually creating turnovers on a regular basis...then Austin and his scheme will start looking a lot better. Of course, Austin has to do his part as well. I wish he would start getting a lot more creative with blitzing and coverages.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 02:35 PM)Always a Bengal Wrote: Would Mike Brown give that type of control to a Coordinator? I don't think so. Mike Brown has a firm grip on every aspect of the day to day football operation of this team.

No he just goes cheap on the coaching staff
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I'd love to know how much influence Lewis has over Austin's scheme, play calling, who's starting and so on.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 04:54 PM)Older Than You Too Wrote: It's hilarious how one bad coordinator can ruin a defense that's been good since 2009.

What?

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 06:22 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: No he just goes cheap on the coaching staff
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 04:57 PM)Wyche Wrote: Gotta agree.  I've liked what Lazor had done up to this point.....hoping this was a blip on the radar, but the performance against Pitt, combined with this has me taking notice.  We'll soon see.

Talent wise, there are a few holes that needed patched coming into the season.....still think they're a year with a solid offseason and good draft away from being a serious contender.  

Austin has been VERY underwhelming to say the least.

They are gonna have to nail these next 2 drafts with as many holes as there is. No faith in FA.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 11:12 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: I posted this to reply to Fred, but think it fits just how bad this D is. This was the third time in four games the Bengals have allowed at least 481 yards. They’re on pace to allow 6,781 yards for the season, which would shatter the franchise record of 6,349, set in 1995.
WoW, I guess we missed Vigil and Dennard more than we thought. Our D is playing bad and it starts with ZERO pressure upfront, I had high hopes for Lawson but he has been disappointing. Austin does not know how to blitz at all.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 06:44 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: What?
You caught my typo, I meant 2011.

Unless you meant our D wasn't any good the last two years. Which it was good, but our O was so bad that our D always got tired and couldn't keep up.
Reply/Quote