Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coach Cowher or Jon Gruden As A Bengals Coach
(11-21-2016, 10:29 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Plus Chuckies successes can be attributed to the team he fell
into. He didn't build that SB team.

but didn't he build the team he faced in the SB?
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 11:57 AM)pally Wrote: we don't know that...we haven't searched for a head coach in forever.  We have a well respected Dir of Player Personnel, Katie has a good reputation.  We still have a team that went to the playoffs 6 of the last 8 years from a tough division.  We have a quality QB and wide receiver both in the early part of contracts.  There is some rebuilding for sure but it won't be like someone is starting from scratch.  If and unfortunately this is a big if Marvin is gone after the season I think we will be able to find a quality coach.  We will have to wait and see who is available at the time

I am not automatically disagreeing with you, but am curious.  What do you base Katie's having a good reputation on?  She is, after all, Mike Brown's daughter and did learn the business from him.  Has she ever had a job other than working for her father?
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 12:11 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I am not automatically disagreeing with you, but am curious.  What do you base Katie's having a good reputation on?  She is, after all, Mike Brown's daughter and did learn the business from him.  Has she ever had a job other than working for her father?

I had the opportunity to sit next to a well known not Cincinnati based National sports writer on a cross country plane trip last year.  He said she is known to be smart, practical, knows football and just as importantly the business of football.  Like her father she isn't flashy and doesn't draw attention to herself.  However, she is already quietly working with the NFL on things such as domestic violence and other initiatives.  Mike Brown's biggest issue is that he is known to be cheap...she is credited with opening up the purse strings.  He also mentioned that the NFL is confident that when the time comes there will be no drama when ownership transfers after Mike's death. unlike that of NO, BUF, TEN.  

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
In a bizarro universe where it was actually possible, I'd welcome Cowher in a heartbeat.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Cowher would be amazing...but won't happen.
Reply/Quote
There's no way Mike Brown is going to hire anything but a "yes man". Oh you hear whispers that MB has relinquished some control of this and that. But just like Marvin said in the presser when he rehired Marvin after 2010.

"It's Mike's Call, It's Mike's team" - words to that effect. Don't fool yourself into believing Mike is kicked back in a lazy boy making paper airplanes while others run everything.

Mike is still running things, maybe he's not in every meeting. maybe he's not in every talk, but his stamp still has to be on every move.

Top level coaches aren't going to tolerate having to ask to get a roll of toilet paper.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 10:22 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Josh McDaniels, but I hear he's holding out for Belichicks job.

Meh. We've seen McDaniels as a HC before. I was not impressed at all.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 11:59 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: but didn't he build the team he faced in the SB?

I didn't think he did, I may be wrong, but I thought that was his undoing. Once that roster was gone the team stunk.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 01:47 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: I didn't think he did, I may be wrong, but I thought that was his undoing. Once that roster was gone the team stunk.

Cowher and Gruden both had great GM's where they were at too. Pittsburgh had Donohoe and then Colbert.

It's unknown if they'd have the skillset to scout players and assemble a roster.

In some regards...it's a conflict of interest where coaches stay with poorly performing players to prove they made the right personnel decisions.
Reply/Quote
Its pretty sad that the biggest detractor from taking a job is the very person hiring you for it.

How many years did it take for Marvin to finally start getting some pull within the organization? At least 9 or 10 years. A new coach is going to have to start all over under the finger of Mike Brown, who thinks he's football god and never makes a bad decision.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
To draw the best coaching and talent in the league you have to make your organization a better choice than the others. What has Mike Brown done to make that so?
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 10:26 AM)kevin Wrote: As a head coach, he has no Super Bowl ring.....You people can throw the names out of coaches at your favorite colleges or some assistant at a NFL team you like, but I'm talking head coaches who have won in the NFL. 

Hell, by your criteria, why don't we just hold out for when BB gets tired of coaching the Pats--maybe after Brady retires--and scoop him up. 

Mellow

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Odds are better that Tommy Tubberville is the Bengals next head coach than either of these two.
Reply/Quote
Ditka Wink

You're welcome.

Plus with him firing wads of heavily chewed gum into the crowd with Tez's "angry birds"... it would be epic!!
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 02:50 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Odds are better that Tommy Tubberville is the Bengals next head coach than either of these two.

Shocked  Sad but true.....
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 10:22 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Josh McDaniels, but I hear he's holding out for Belichicks job.

When he left Denver I really wanted him as the OC in Cincy. My money is on Gruden though. Would be a high profile coach hiring and Mike Brown is all about those Benjamins.
Reply/Quote
No coach with any pedigree of success is ever going near Mikey boy and vice versa.
Reply/Quote
[Image: th?id=OIP.Mad02ab3a4c2605db304ab6431a632...=197&h=156][Image: th?id=OIP.M09f8692d5babc338f7ea7b15b1afd...=320&h=140]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Cowher would never come here.

Gruden probably not either. Especially the way his brother was treated by fans.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 10:43 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: You're not getting Gruden or Cowher here. Mike Brown would have to pay them an excessive amount of money and give them complete control of the franchise. Neither of those are happening.

This is a franchise that doesn't use free agency heavily. Also, the coaches are scouts here due to a small scouting staff. The owner and his family heavily weigh in on personnel decisions. Cowher and Gruden have had much more attractive jobs offerred to them that they turned down.

Quite frankly, with AJ Green and Bernard hurt...this roster needs rebuilt. There are many holes.

Get over it. This franchise is NOT going to get a big name coach NEVER, EVER. In fact, we might as well just forget the Bengals altogether because nothing will change even when Mikey finally rides off into the sunset in 10+ years. Pumpkin will be afraid to do anything that Daddy wouldn't do (but should have!). Cry
Reply/Quote