Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coaches and Coordinators for 2020
It’s time to clean house again soon; I’ve seen enough from Zac Taylor, Brian Callahan, Tem Lukabu, and especially the hapless Jim Turner. Lou Anarumo seems to be the only coordinator whose unit improved over 2018 but he’s not the long term answer either. I wouldn’t give Zac fifteen more minutes let alone fifteen more years after this historically crappy first half of the season.

So, Bengaldom, who would you want? Here’s my thoughts on it:

Head Coach: Urban Meyer
Offensive Coordinator: Hue Jackson
Defensive Coordinator: Jack Del Rio
Offensive Line Coach: Joe Rudolph (University of Wisconsin)
Linebackers Coach: Ray Lewis
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I see no way Urban Meyer comes here...when he could go to a premier college football program and win.

Here, he'd be hamstrung by the same management that hasn't won a playoff game in 28+ years.

Really ALL of the coaches you name likely wouldn't come here...except Hue because no one really wants him.
Reply/Quote
Man it's going to be a long 10 months around here.
Reply/Quote
ZT may very well be the best coach that can be pulled to Cincinnati. The franchise is a mess right now and the management/ownership really needs to change. I want to see Zac with one or two more years. At the very least, next season. I don't think it sets a good precedent to just can your rookie coach after one bad year.
Reply/Quote
I miss the days of the close loss to Seattle where I was like...hmm Coaching looked questionable to me. And a bunch of people who have since stopped posting called me 'Negative' and said that it was obvious that the Bengals would be successful this year...and I would be proven wrong.

Those were the days!
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 12:58 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: ZT may very well be the best coach that can be pulled to Cincinnati. The franchise is a mess right now and the management/ownership really needs to change. I want to see Zac with one or two more years. At the very least, next season. I don't think it sets a good precedent to just can your rookie coach after one bad year.

The way the roster is regressing under this staff...1 or 2 years might do damage that takes them half a decade to recover from.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 01:03 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The way the roster is regressing under this staff...1 or 2 years might do damage that takes them half a decade to recover from.

That’s my thinking too. Sometimes it’s good to wait but in this case the plug needs to be pulled right now. The execution, especially on offense, has gotten to the point of being scandalously unwatchable. I’m not upset with Zac Taylor because he didn’t hire himself. Someone else did that. For example, the offensive line is so horrific it’s going to get a star player injured and I’m not sure Zac is clear-minded enough to realize this.
Reply/Quote
You can't hire Taylor, not give him any more talent, then fire him after one year. No decent coach would ever come here after that.

We have to give Taylor at least one more year, but I say bring in an OC and replace the DC.

Our offense is horrid, but our o-line is a dumpster fire of back ups. You can't even fire Turner based on what he has been given to work with.

On the other hand our defense actually has a good bit of talent. Poor LB play does not make good DBs like Jackson, Kirkpatrick, and Bates look lost in coverage. Lou needs to go.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 12:51 PM)Au165 Wrote: Man it's going to be a long 10 months around here.

Man its been a long couple of decades.

And likely going to be a long several years coming up. You're an optimist at 10 months.
Reply/Quote
The call for Taylor to be fired is nonsense. He will go no where for at least 3-4 years...
This team sticks to underperforming coaches, players, grounds keepers seemingly forever. If you die, Homer Rice will still be coaching the Bengals somewhere.

What the team needs is for Mike Brown to fully retire and not set foot on the premise. The Front Office needs to hire GM and upgrade the drafting personal to above NFL standards.

Not too many skilled coaches or players will play for Mike Brown.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
HC - Mike McCarthy
OC - Jay Gruden (I think Gruden better with QBs whereas Hue is better with running game)
DC - Jack Del Rio
OL coach - Not many options but maybe Bill Callahan since he has relationship with Gruden and is well respected (although he may not if Brian is let go)
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I'm too burned out to even seriously consider this anymore. I doubt many coaches could come in here and succeed given the limitations they're having to work with, so really it doesn't matter.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 12:58 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: ZT may very well be the best coach that can be pulled to Cincinnati. The franchise is a mess right now and the management/ownership really needs to change. I want to see Zac with one or two more years. At the very least, next season. I don't think it sets a good precedent to just can your rookie coach after one bad year.

If next year starts the same 0-4  than I would fire ZT after the 4th game. 

Year 1: You come in and start to implement the changes and throughout the year you continue to do that
Year 2: The changes start to show on the field with positive results
Year 3: Playoffs (hopefully a win)

If Zac can't get a win with the team within the first four games of next season he needs to be gone; he isn't the solution.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 01:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You can't hire Taylor, not give him any more talent, then fire him after one year.  No decent coach would ever come here after that.

We have to give Taylor at least one more year, but I say bring in an OC and replace the DC.

Our offense is horrid, but our o-line is a dumpster fire of back ups.  You can't even fire Turner based on what he has been given to work with.  

On the other hand our defense actually has a good bit of talent.  Poor LB play does not make good DBs like Jackson, Kirkpatrick, and Bates look lost in coverage.  Lou needs to go.

They gave him Jonah and Sample and Pratt. For new super coach what more did he need?

Taylor lost me when he came out and said Mike Brown really wants to win. I knew then that he had no idea of what he was getting into or, if he did know, he was stupid enough to get into it. Both are bad indicators.

Reply/Quote
Adam Jones.

YOLO !!!!!
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 01:19 PM)ochocincos Wrote: HC - Mike McCarthy
OC - Jay Gruden (I think Gruden better with QBs whereas Hue is better with running game)
DC - Jack Del Rio
OL coach - Not many options but maybe Bill Callahan since he has relationship with Gruden and is well respected (although he may not if Brian is let go)

That's a greats staff. Del Rio has to be sitting at home or doing whatever he is and feeling like he dodged a bullet.
Reply/Quote
I will say this much. They absolutely must make a change at defensive coordinator. And whether it's Callahan or somebody else, Taylor needs to relinquish control of the offensive playcalling. He's been markedly atrocious, and looks to be in way over his head. I think we've seen two back-to-back games where we had less than 50 total yards on offense in the first half. Some of that is a talent issue, but let's not pretend it has nothing to do with the calls themselves.

If we're going to ride with a newbie head coach, we need experienced playcallers at the coordinator roles. No if's, and's, or but's about it.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 01:23 PM)MEBengalsFan Wrote: If next year starts the same 0-4  than I would fire ZT after the 4th game. 

Year 1: You come in and start to implement the changes and throughout the year you continue to do that

If Zac can't get a win with the team within the first four games of next season he needs to be gone; he isn't the solution.

I can agree with this. This coming off-season SHOULD be huge about his chances. If no real roster changes are made and the team comes out looking like ass cheeks next season, then he needs to go. 
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 01:13 PM)R3stangs Wrote: Man its been a long couple of decades.

And likely going to be a long several years coming up. You're an optimist at 10 months.

I meant in terms of these horrible threads. These are basically fantasy threads, might as well say "Name you're favorite people you want on the team" in terms of free agency. That list is as likely to happen as a total house cleaning after one year. Will we fire some coaches? Maybe. Will we fire everyone and start over? Nope.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 01:23 PM)MEBengalsFan Wrote: If next year starts the same 0-4  than I would fire ZT after the 4th game. 

A guy like Lafleur came in and has the Packers winning. In the NFL, with free agency and injuries...you generally don't see teams take a progression over 3-4 years. Like win 3 games, then 6, then 9, then 12.

Good coaches turn the ship around immediately.

Taylor is a HORRIBLE play caller. That needs fixed.
Reply/Quote