Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coaching Change...
(10-24-2017, 01:03 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: I'd rather hire Jim Bob Cooter.

No complaints from me. Although his name is mentioned for the University of Tennessee job. Bringing in Teryl Austin wouldn't be bad since him and Cooter are friends and it's rumored that Cooter will follow him as OC if he lands HC gig next season.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Why are people so sure that the next head coach is coming from within? The last time this team hired a new head coach they went OUTSIDE the organization.

In fact, looking at the list of head coaches, the Bengals generally hire from outside when it comes to head coaches.

Now, the only thing that I will say is that if the Bengals fire Lewis during the season we will be more than likely stuck with whoever gets hired for a few years (ala Coslet and LeBeau). That's why I want Lewis to make it through the end of the year, to avoid an internal hire with minimal turnover.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 04:21 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Why are people so sure that the next head coach is coming from within?  The last time this team hired a new head coach they went OUTSIDE the organization.

In fact, looking at the list of head coaches, the Bengals generally hire from outside when it comes to head coaches.

Now, the only thing that I will say is that if the Bengals fire Lewis during the season we will be more than likely stuck with whoever gets hired for a few years (ala Coslet and LeBeau).  That's why I want Lewis to make it through the end of the year, to avoid an internal hire with minimal turnover.

The internal hire topic comes from the numerous times we've heard that the FO is big on Guenther. Marv may leave after this season, but no one in the FO is leaving. Granted there's virtually no way for them to justify hiring from within if we continue to lose, but they consider Guenther a bright up and coming star in terms of NFL HC jobs. They took so much flak for letting Zim, Hue, and Vance to a lesser extent, that they might figure to finally give the up and comer a chance.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 04:42 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: The internal hire topic comes from the numerous times we've heard that the FO is big on Guenther. Marv may leave after this season, but no one in the FO is leaving. Granted there's virtually no way for them to justify hiring from within if we continue to lose, but they consider Guenther a bright up and coming star in terms of NFL HC jobs. They took so much flak for letting Zim, Hue, and Vance to a lesser extent, that they might figure to finally give the up and comer a chance.

I get that, but people seem to be soooo sure that it's an internal hire.  That being said, it will be interesting to see who lines up to try and get Guenther.

The other interesting thing to see will be who the Bengals will bring in for the Rooney rule interview.
Reply/Quote
Would love to see a complete house cleaning of coaches.

Only guy I would be sad to see leave is Guenther.

But it would be worth it if we replaced everyone else.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 04:46 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I get that, but people seem to be soooo sure that it's an internal hire.  That being said, it will be interesting to see who lines up to try and get Guenther.

The other interesting thing to see will be who the Bengals will bring in for the Rooney rule interview.

According to the beat writers, every coach contract is up after this year. We may actually (hopefully) have a completely different looking coaching staff next year. As for the Rooney rule, I'm guessing Hue.
Reply/Quote
How about the Patriots Oc or DC as our head coach? I love the offense they have, even though I hate Brady, and I have definitely enjoyed watching their defenses through the years!

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 12:40 AM)JSR18 Wrote: Tiger I know that if for some reason ML is not the head coach next year there is a 88.9% chance the new Head Coach is coming from inside.

UNLESS--Any chance the 'stains fire Hue??

Even MB would "trust" Hue enough to bring in his own staff, wouldn't he??

I am with Wyche, need a complete regime change.

I like Guenther, Simmons and Urban but we need to change the culture for this team to ever be a SB contender.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 03:28 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: According to the beat writers, every coach contract is up after this year. We may actually (hopefully) have a completely different looking coaching staff next year. As for the Rooney rule, I'm guessing Hue.

Doubt that he would get permission to interview.
Reply/Quote
I'm good with a house leaning other than Guenther. I think he can't change the culture as HC, but it's hard to find a good defensive mind nowadays. It's a good system. You'd have to sell me on a replacement.

I like McDaniels. Keep an eye on Shaw.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 03:28 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: According to the beat writers, every coach contract is up after this year. We may actually (hopefully) have a completely different looking coaching staff next year. As for the Rooney rule, I'm guessing Hue.

Wow. IF every coach's contract is up...then Guenther and Lazor would be free to pursue other openings. They're essentially free agents.

We'll need the cap space to re-sign Paul Alexander.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 04:47 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Doubt that he would get permission to interview.

I'm counting on Hue being fired unless him and the front office kiss and make up.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 04:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I am with Wyche, need a complete regime change.

I like Guenther, Simmons and Urban but we need to change the culture for this team to ever be a SB contender.

Unless the front office decides it's going to hire an actual GM, and cede all Football Operations control over, it will mean nothing.  In the current state of management, all they'll attract is another jock-less toady to carry the company banner.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 05:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Unless the front office decides it's going to hire an actual GM, and cede all Football Operations control over, it will mean nothing.  In the current state of management, all they'll attract is another jock-less toady to carry the company banner.

Its really not a bad job. You can be a middling numb nuts and keep the job for 17 years and make millions laughing and clapping through the whole thing.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 09:54 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Paul Guenther has earned becoming the HC over Hue Jackson.
I'd be ok with bringing Hue back as the OC though if he is fired from Cleveland.

Sorry. Guenther has likely been Mikeyized. I don't want Hugh Jackson either. Yet, I don't know enough about other "available" coaches to pick a winner.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 04:21 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Why are people so sure that the next head coach is coming from within?  The last time this team hired a new head coach they went OUTSIDE the organization.

Now, the only thing that I will say is that if the Bengals fire Lewis during the season we will be more than likely stuck with whoever gets hired for a few years (ala Coslet and LeBeau).  That's why I want Lewis to make it through the end of the year, to avoid an internal hire with minimal turnover.
ABSOLUTELY!
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 06:49 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Would love to see a complete house cleaning of coaches.

Only guy I would be sad to see leave is Guenther.

But it would be worth it if we replaced everyone else.

Guenther's defense did NOT impress me at all against Pissburgh. So why is he such a hot item?
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 06:32 PM)Derrick Wrote: Guenther's defense did NOT impress me at all against Pissburgh. So why is he such a hot item?

The defense is a good unit, overall.  You can't just keep giving the ball back to an offense like Pittsburgh has, and not expect to give up some points.  If the Bengals offense could have did their fair share, even in terms of time of possession, score could have been much better.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown will hire a coach that he thinks can coach this team

What Mike Brown needs to do is hire a GM.
Let that GM hire a Head Coach
The GM and Head Coach then hires the rest of the coaching staff
Then the GM, Head Coach and the rest of the coaching staff will evaluate each player, find out which suits the Head Coachs system and over the coarse of a few years, get rid of players that dont fit the system or wont buy into it, draft and get players out in FA that will fit the system.

After about three years, they should be ready for the playoffs and with luck, the Super Bowl.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 07:02 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Mike Brown will hire a coach that he thinks can coach this team

What Mike Brown needs to do is hire a GM.
Let that GM hire a Head Coach
The GM and Head Coach then hires the rest of the coaching staff
Then the GM, Head Coach and the rest of the coaching staff will evaluate each player, find out which suits the Head Coachs system and over the coarse of a few years, get rid of players that dont fit the system or wont buy into it, draft and get players out in FA that will fit the system.

After about three years, they should be ready for the playoffs and with luck, the Super Bowl.

Welcome to my Mountaintop.   Cool

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote