Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coaching FIRE SALE
(11-28-2018, 01:34 PM)HuDey Wrote: I agree with this, though I am leery of keeping around any coaches or players (with a few exceptions) who have been molded by Mike & Marvin regime. In order to implement a new culture we need to send guys with too much of that stink on them out the door.

Sometimes you can have very good employees (in this case coaches or scouts) who are stuck under bad management, often you can find diamonds in the rough who have good ideas but the clown above refused to listen to them. 

Our scouting staff may be small by league standards but clearly there are some good people there as we have had some success at the draft. So all 10 are not garbage. 

But it has to start at the top. 

I can use our hockey team as a prime example, while they were the Atlanta Thrashers they were dreadful - bad owner, bad GM's, horrid scouting even though they often had very high picks. Winnipeg buys the team - new owners put in place a long term plan and work it - new GM (who is very good), we have 22 scouts when most teams have around 15 (because the plan is to build through the draft) and the staff is top shelf; good coaches, etc. So now we have a very successful elite team. But it all started with the owner who had a solid plan. We are still a small market team but we spend extra money on staff like scouts because it pays off in better players selected and developed. Back to the original question, a few of the Atlanta staff were kept on the Winnipeg staff. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2018, 10:12 AM)McC Wrote: I agree that Marvin and most of the staff needs to go.  But I wouldn't be so quick to throw the baby out with the bath water.  I'd like to see what Pollack could do with some better raw material with which to work.  And I'd consider Van Pelt a keeper too.  The rest can go kick rocks.

I agree, those are the two i think the next Head Coach would keep as well. Van Pelt did a good job with Dalton
and Pollack needs atleast another year to add some talent to see what he could do. Lets add that OC for the Bears
as the next HC, let him pick his entire staff, i bet he would keep Van Pelt and Pollack if that was an option.

Sure hope this happens, damn, losing to the Stains is more than embarrassing, kept me off here a few days.

Losing Dalton just added to the shit storm. But i guess we get to see what Driskel can do versus NFL regulars.

I just hope Dalton going down is not another excuse for Marv, he has to go along with all the Marv stink.

Start fresh.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2018, 01:05 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Ok, so who are you going to get that's better than Pollack? What ST coach are you going to get that's better than Simmons?

Agree on Pollack, but Simmons has a lot of Marv stink Sled even if he is a good coach.

Whatever the new coach says but fire that entire Defensive staff, every frickin' one of them including Burney.

Completely agree with Boomer, this Defense stinks and that is saying it in a very nice way.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2018, 10:09 AM)GreenDragon Wrote: IMO the entire coaching staff needs to GO.
This team needs a reboot from the ground up.

Marvin Lewis
Hue Jackson
Bill Lazor - OC
Kyle Caskey - RBs
Bob Bicknell - WRs
Jonathan Hayes - TEs
Frank Pollack - OL
Dan Pitcher - offensive assistant / WRs
Robert Couth - offensive quality control / o-line
Jacob Burney - DL
Jim Haslett - LBs
Daronte Jones - CBs
Robert Livingston - Safeties
Matt Raich - defensive assistant
Marcus Lewis - defensive quality control - d-line
Darrin Simmons - ST
Brayden Coombs - assistant special teams / defensive quality control

ALL of these people need to go! NOT JUST MARVIN!!!

Not so fast,the season is still salvageable.AJ is playing Sunday,and we have a promising new quarterback.I’ve seen stranger things happen in the NFL
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2018, 04:26 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Agree on Pollack, but Simmons has a lot of Marv stink Sled even if he is a good coach.

Whatever the new coach says but fire that entire Defensive staff, every frickin' one of them including Burney.

Completely agree with Boomer, this Defense stinks and that is saying it in a very nice way.

Someone is going to have to explain this Marvin Stink to me. You yourself just said Simmons is a good coach. He coaches ST's, has has no say in anything else, and coaches the players Marv and Mike draft for him. Just because he's been here a long time under Lewis doesn't mean he's bad, he's not the one making the decisions. IMO he's one of the better ST coaches in the league, and to get rid of him just because he's been here for awhile is self defeating. Like I said, who are we going to get that's better?
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2018, 04:32 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Someone is going to have to explain this Marvin Stink to me. You yourself just said Simmons is a good coach. He coaches ST's, has has no say in anything else, and coaches the players Marv and Mike draft for him. Just because he's been here a long time under Lewis doesn't mean he's bad, he's not the one making the decisions. IMO he's one of the better ST coaches in the league, and to get rid of him just because he's been here for awhile is self defeating. Like I said, who are we going to get that's better?

Hey, i like Simmons, just want the new coach to pick the coaches he is comfortable with.

Just saying Simmons has been here a long time and we need to change the culture around here.

Would be more than fine if the new HC kept Simmons on as i agree he is a good ST's coach.

But it has to be the new HC's decision.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2018, 04:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hey, i like Simmons, just want the new coach to pick the coaches he is comfortable with.

Just saying Simmons has been here a long time and we need to change the culture around here.

Would be more than fine if the new HC kept Simmons on as i agree he is a good ST's coach.

But it has to be the new HC's decision.

I fully agree, the new HC should absolutely get to pick his coaches. I just don't think a coach like Simmons should automatically be gone, like some are advocating, to change the culture. No ST coach sets the culture, that is set by the HC and the owner.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2018, 03:28 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Why would you keep Burney? The DL has regressed since he is Merv's buddy and was just handed the job..

Dline has been the biggest disappointment of the season, imo. He should be one of the first coaches to go honestly.

(11-28-2018, 03:34 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Sometimes you can have very good employees (in this case coaches or scouts) who are stuck under bad management, often you can find diamonds in the rough who have good ideas but the clown above refused to listen to them. 

Our scouting staff may be small by league standards but clearly there are some good people there as we have had some success at the draft. So all 10 are not garbage. 

But it has to start at the top. 

I can use our hockey team as a prime example, while they were the Atlanta Thrashers they were dreadful - bad owner, bad GM's, horrid scouting even though they often had very high picks. Winnipeg buys the team - new owners put in place a long term plan and work it - new GM (who is very good), we have 22 scouts when most teams have around 15 (because the plan is to build through the draft) and the staff is top shelf; good coaches, etc. So now we have a very successful elite team. But it all started with the owner who had a solid plan. We are still a small market team but we spend extra money on staff like scouts because it pays off in better players selected and developed. Back to the original question, a few of the Atlanta staff were kept on the Winnipeg staff. 

Jets are a hell of a team. I thought you guys were going to the Cup last year, and honestly I would have rather they had over LV. Fun team to watch. Especially Laine. I’m a Devils fan, and you are one team we can’t seem to ever beat.

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 05:38 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Dline has been the biggest disappointment of the season, imo. He should be one of the first coaches to go honestly.

Agree, I think this season's biggest disappointment has to be the Dline….
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2018, 10:09 AM)GreenDragon Wrote: IMO the entire coaching staff needs to GO.
This team needs a reboot from the ground up.

Marvin Lewis
Hue Jackson
Bill Lazor - OC
Kyle Caskey - RBs
Bob Bicknell - WRs
Jonathan Hayes - TEs
Frank Pollack - OL
Dan Pitcher - offensive assistant / WRs
Robert Couth - offensive quality control / o-line
Jacob Burney - DL
Jim Haslett - LBs
Daronte Jones - CBs
Robert Livingston - Safeties
Matt Raich - defensive assistant
Marcus Lewis - defensive quality control - d-line
Darrin Simmons - ST
Brayden Coombs - assistant special teams / defensive quality control

ALL of these people need to go! NOT JUST MARVIN!!!

Completely agree.  Bring in a new coach and let him fill the staff.  
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2018, 03:28 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Why would you keep Burney? The DL has regressed since he is Merv's buddy and was just handed the job..

(11-29-2018, 05:38 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Dline has been the biggest disappointment of the season, imo. He should be one of the first coaches to go honestly.

(11-29-2018, 09:07 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Agree, I think this season's biggest disappointment has to be the Dline….

You guys are blaming scheme on the position coach.

Burney is finally getting play from the multiple defensive line picks they make every year. Glasgow was really coming on. Billings is a solid nose but needs more rotation. Carl Lawson was still getting around the edge even if the sacks don't match it. The biggest disappointmentioned has been Willis but he's still stuck behind Michael Johnson.

The linebacker play is really hurting the entire defense. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 09:17 AM)Synric Wrote: You guys are blaming scheme on the position coach.

Burney is finally getting play from the multiple defensive line picks they make every year. Glasgow was really coming on. Billings is a solid nose but needs more rotation. Carl Lawson was still getting around the edge even if the sacks don't match it. The biggest disappointmentioned has been Willis but he's still stuck behind Michael Johnson.

The linebacker play is really hurting the entire defense. 

I just do not see the front four getting home much this year. I'm not sure how much "scheme" has to do with it when your job is just to get to the QB or block the run.... Our front 4, with a healthy Geno and Billings, should get more push than a D-10 dozer....but it's just not happening.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 09:25 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I just do not see the front four getting home much this year. I'm not sure how much "scheme" has to do with it when your job is just to get to the QB or block the run.... Our front 4, with a healthy Geno and Billings, should get more push than a D-10 dozer....but it's just not happening.

Linebackers are killing the defense.

Doesn't matter if your defensive line is getting pressure when the QB can dump it off to wide open guys in the middle of the field. It doesn't matter that the defensive line takes on the blocks if your linebackers are always out of place take false steps and bad angles.

Injuries are taking their toll on the defensive line but the linebacker play is just killing them...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
The D is a *********** from top to bottom - coaches, schemes and some players.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote