Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Coaching staff tracker
Just figured it'd be nice to have one thread to keep track of how the staff is shaking out. Retained coaches noted with an asterisk. I'll try to keep it updated. If I miss any, just let me know.

Head Coach - Zac Taylor

Offensive Coordinator - Brian "not Bill" Callahan

QB - Alex Van Pelt*
Asst QB - Dan Pitcher*

RB - Jemal Singleton

WR - Bob Bicknell*

TE - James Casey

OL - Jim Turner
Asst OL - Ben Martin

Offensive Assistant - Brad Kragthorpe

--------

Defensive Coordinator - Sweet Lou Anarumo

DL - Nick Eason

LB - Tem Lukabu

DB/safeties - Robert Livingston*
DB/cornerbacks - Daronte Jones*

Senior Defensive Assistant - Mark Duffner 
Defensive Assistant - Gerald Chatman
Defensive Quality Control - Jordan Kovacs

--------

ST - Darrin Simmons*
Asst ST - Braydon Coombs*

--------

Strenth & Conditioning - Joey Boese
Director of Coaching Operations - Doug Rosfeld

Backgrounds of incoming coaches:

Brian Callahan (OC) - Former QB coach under Jon Gruden in Oakland - Lions QB coach from '16-17 - Offensive assistant with Broncos during the Peyton era

Jemal Singleton (RB) - RB coach in Oakland with Callahan - Colts RB coach from '16-17 - had various run game related jobs with Air Force, Oklahoma St and Arkansas

James Casey (TE) - Retired in 2016 after a 7 year career, mostly with Texans under Kubiak - Immediately transitioned to coaching with the Houston Cougars, where he was TE coach in '17-18

Jim Turner (OL) - A favorite of Mike Sherman, Turner was Sherman's o-line coach at Texas A&M from 2008-11, and followed Sherman to the Dolphins from 2012-13. He then returned to Texas A&M under Jimbo Fisher

Ben Martin (Asst OL) - Was an offensive assistant with the Dolphins in 2014-15. Has also worked at small programs like Wagner, Union and Bryant (sounds like a law firm)

Brad Kragthorpe (Offensive Assistant) - After finishing up his LSU days as their backup QB, Kragthorp immediately transitioned to their coaching staff as an offensive analyst. 26 years old.

--------------

Lou Anarumo (DC) - Worked with Taylor in Miami, where they were both named interim coordinators in 2015. 7 years of NFL experience as a DB coach, with 6 of those years spent in Miami. Spent last season with the Giants. Last stint as a non-interim DC was at Merchant Marine Academy from 1992-1994. Served as Assistant Head Coach (as well as DB and ST coach) at Harvard from 1995-2000.

Nick Eason (DL) - 4th round pick of the Browns in 2003. Had a 10 year playing career where he also spent time with the Cardinals and Steelers (where he won a SB in 2008). As a coach, he started off as an assistant d-line coach with the Browns in 2013. He then spent 4 seasons as the Titans d-line coach (2014-17). He spent 2018 as a defensive assistant working with LB's at Austin Peay, and was just hired as d-line coach with Vanderbilt on February 13th. He backed out of that commitment to join Taylor's staff.

Tem Lukabu (LB) - Former 2 time Patriot League player of the year at Colgate, but never played in the NFL. Lukabu began his coaching career as a graduate assistant with Rutgers. He then coached LB's at Rhode Island, before returning to Rutgers to coach outside LB's from 2010-11. He had a 2 month stint as the DC and LB coach at Fordham before landing his first NFL gig in Tampa Bay. He spent his first year in Tampa as an assistant DL coach before shifting over to an assistant with LB's. He then returned to his Alma Mater (Colgate) to coach LB's. His next move was to FIU, in the same position. He spent 2016-17 as a defensive quality control coach with the 49ers, and FINALLY, he was LB coach with Mississippi State in 2018. Needless to say, this guy is well traveled. It took a lot of articles to piece together this guy's coaching history.

Mark Duffner (Senior Defensive Assistant) - Coaching since 1975, Duffner is probably the most experienced coach on staff. This is his 2nd stint with the Bengals, having served as Linebackers Coach from 1997 to 2000, then was promoted to DC/LB's from 2001-2002 under Dlck LeBeau. He played a big role in our last conversion to 3-4. Since getting canned after Marvin was hired, Duffner has served as LB coach with the Packers ('03-05), Jaguars ('06-13) and Buccaneers ('16-18). He was promoted to DC/LB's in 2018 for Tampa. 

Jordan Kovacs (Defensive Quality Control) - Spent '13-16 bouncing around NFL practice squads. Transitioned into coaching at his alma mater (Michigan) as a defensive and special teams assistant from '17-18. 28 years old.

Gerald Chatman (Defensive Assistant)Chatman, 30, joins the Bengals after spending the last two seasons at Tennessee State University, where he was defensive ends/outside linebackers coach, and then added the role of special teams coordinator in 2018.

Prior to Tennessee State, Chatman coached at Elon University (defensive line, 2016), Texas A&M University (graduate assistant, ’15), Butler University (defensive line coach and assistant recruiting coordinator, ’14), Ball State University (defensive graduate assistant, ’12-13), and the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh (defensive line, ’10-11).

Joey Boese (Strength) - Another guy who worked with Taylor and Mike Sherman at Texas A&M (2008-11). Boese was most recently the strength coach at Illinois.
Doug Rosfeld (Director of Coaching Operations) - Worked with Taylor at UC, where he was Director of Player Development
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 03:35 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Just figured it'd be nice to have one thread to keep track of how the staff is shaking out. Retained coaches noted with an asterisk. I'll try to keep it updated. If I miss any, just let me know.

Head Coach - Zac Taylor

QB - Alex Van Pelt*

RB -

WR - Bob Bicknell*

TE - James Casey

OL - Jim Turner
Asst OL - Ben Martin

--------

Defensive Coordinator -

DL -

LB -

DB -

--------

ST - Darrin Simmons*

The two DB coaches were retained--Robert Livingston and Daronte Jones.

Braydon Coombs--Asst, ST's.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Along with the guys McC mentioned, Asst QB's coach Dan Pitcher was also retained.
Reply/Quote
Thanks guys. Updated. ThumbsUp
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
and so far both Strength and Conditioning Coaches Chip Morton and Jeff Friday

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 05:12 PM)pally Wrote: and so far both Strength and Conditioning Coaches Chip Morton and Jeff Friday

Blech! Hope they get replaced.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 05:12 PM)pally Wrote: and so far both Strength and Conditioning Coaches Chip Morton and Jeff Friday

@Kat_Terrell: More Bengals' staffing changes: Strength and conditioning coach Chip Morton and assistant strength and conditioning coach Jeff Friday won't be staying on Zac Taylor's staff. Morton was hired in 2003 when Marvin Lewis took the job.  http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41055027-4
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 08:16 PM)84whodey Wrote: @Kat_Terrell: More Bengals' staffing changes: Strength and conditioning coach Chip Morton and assistant strength and conditioning coach Jeff Friday won't be staying on Zac Taylor's staff. Morton was hired in 2003 when Marvin Lewis took the job.  http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41055027-4

ThumbsUp
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 08:16 PM)84whodey Wrote: @Kat_Terrell: More Bengals' staffing changes: Strength and conditioning coach Chip Morton and assistant strength and conditioning coach Jeff Friday won't be staying on Zac Taylor's staff. Morton was hired in 2003 when Marvin Lewis took the job.  http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41055027-4

Now this is good news.
Reply/Quote
I thought the s&c staff was still around. A full clean house.

I'm sold on Callahan. He sounded like ZT and has some different experiences outside of LA and Mia. Handled the interview well.

https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-hire-four-offensive-assistants

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 10:17 PM)jj22 Wrote: I thought the s&c staff was still around. A full clean house.

I'm sold on Callahan. He sounded like ZT and has some different experiences outside of LA and Mia. Handled the interview well.

I wonder if there will end up being a run game coordinator and passing game coordinator like the Rams have.  At this point, it doesn't look that way but I suppose that could still change.  I kind of like the idea of having both.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote

lol...well I did say "so far"   Wink

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 10:27 PM)McC Wrote: I wonder if there will end up being a run game coordinator and passing game coordinator like the Rams have.  At this point, it doesn't look that way but I suppose that could still change.  I kind of like the idea of having both.

I do too. Especially if the HC is calling plays. It seems that is the key when you see these classifications.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 10:17 PM)jj22 Wrote: I thought the s&c staff was still around. A full clean house.

Really liked his interview.  That guy has been around football his entire life, a lot of time spent around NFL teams too.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 03:35 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Just figured it'd be nice to have one thread to keep track of how the staff is shaking out. Retained coaches noted with an asterisk. I'll try to keep it updated. If I miss any, just let me know.

Head Coach - Zac Taylor

QB - Alex Van Pelt*
Asst QB - Dan Pitcher*

RB -

WR - Bob Bicknell*

TE - James Casey

OL - Jim Turner
Asst OL - Ben Martin

--------

Defensive Coordinator -

DL -

LB -

DB/safeties - Robert Livingston*
DB/cornerbacks - Daronte Jones*

--------

ST - Darrin Simmons*
Asst ST - Braydon Coombs*

--------

Strenth & Conditioning - Joey Boese
Can we make this a sticky?  thanks!   
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(02-09-2019, 03:57 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Can we make this a sticky?  thanks!   

Done.  :andy:
Reply/Quote
Looks like they will hire Jemal Singleton as RB coach.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 11:18 AM)Wyche Wrote: Really liked his interview.  That guy has been around football his entire life, a lot of time spent around NFL teams too.

Both Zac and Not Bill have spent time around alot of different offenses I'm looking forward to seeing how it influenced them both.

(02-10-2019, 02:52 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Looks like they will hire Jemal Singleton as RB coach.

Another coach with a military background. I approve.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Liking that they kept Van Pelt, saw improvement from Dalton last year in the panicking department. Also liked how Boyd really improved under Bicknell, with Taylor here i see Ross making a big jump next year. We need a good DC, D-line and especially a good LB coach. Honestly i like the guys that Taylor has brought in.

In these days i am not quick to judge a guy like Turner.

Everything is just so politicly correct. Some dudes are just old school and need to be forgiven for being this way.
Reply/Quote
Did anybody else see this?

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2019/02/11/cincinnati-bengals-moeller-coach-doug-rosfeld/2835883002/

Reply/Quote