Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Coaching staff tracker
(03-03-2019, 12:44 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Only thing I saw was his wiki page. I trust you guys, but would love to read about why he's back. He played a big role in our last 3-4 conversion, and seeing how many of our defensive coaches have a lot of history with the 3-4, I'm starting to think we're going to see a lot of it under Taylor. 

Btw, went ahead and updated the list.  ThumbsUp

P.S. Duffner was around back when we drafted Takeo and Simmons, and he has 20 years of experience as an NFL LB coach, so I like the hire quite a bit. Definitely not interested in him as a DC though, lol. Our defense was soooo bad in 2002, and Tampa's was horrible last year.

Indeed; he was basically thrust into DC when LeBeau took over and I think it was too early...

But he proved last year that the position may be above him lol.

I think we'll get better in the LB department this year, instantly.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 03:35 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Just figured it'd be nice to have one thread to keep track of how the staff is shaking out. Retained coaches noted with an asterisk. I'll try to keep it updated. If I miss any, just let me know.

Head Coach - Zac Taylor

Offensive Coordinator - Brian "not Bill" Callahan

QB - Alex Van "not Halen" Pelt*
Asst QB - Dan Pitcher*

RB - Jemal Singleton

WR - Bob Bicknell*

TE - James Casey

OL - Jim Turner
Asst OL - Ben Martin

--------

Defensive Coordinator - Sweet Lou Anarumo

DL - Nick Eason

LB - Tem Lukabu

DB/safeties - Robert Livingston*
DB/cornerbacks - Daronte Jones*

--------

ST - Darrin Simmons*
Asst ST - Braydon Coombs*

--------

Strenth & Conditioning - Joey Boese
Director of Coaching Operations - Doug Rosfeld

Backgrounds of incoming coaches:

Brian Callahan (OC) - Former QB coach under Jon Gruden in Oakland - Lions QB coach from '16-17 - Offensive assistant with Broncos during the Peyton era

Jemal Singleton (RB) - RB coach in Oakland with Callahan - Colts RB coach from '16-17 - had various run game related jobs with Air Force, Oklahoma St and Arkansas

James Casey (TE) - Retired in 2016 after a 7 year career, mostly with Texans under Kubiak - Immediately transitioned to coaching with the Houston Cougars, where he was TE coach in '17-18

Jim Turner (OL) - A favorite of Mike Sherman, Turner was Sherman's o-line coach at Texas A&M from 2008-11, and followed Sherman to the Dolphins from 2012-13. He then returned to Texas A&M under Jimbo Fisher

Ben Martin (Asst OL) - Was an offensive assistant with the Dolphins in 2014-15. Has also worked at small programs like Wagner, Union and Bryant (sounds like a law firm)

Lou Anarumo (DC) - Worked with Taylor in Miami, where they were both named interim coordinators in 2015. 7 years of NFL experience as a DB coach, with 6 of those years spent in Miami. Spent last season with the Giants. Last stint as a non-interim DC was at Merchant Marine Academy from 1992-1994. Served as Assistant Head Coach (as well as DB and ST coach) at Harvard from 1995-2000.

Nick Eason (DL) - 4th round pick of the Browns in 2003. Had a 10 year playing career where he also spent time with the Cardinals and Steelers (where he won a SB in 2008). As a coach, he started off as an assistant d-line coach with the Browns in 2013. He then spent 4 seasons as the Titans d-line coach (2014-17). He spent 2018 as a defensive assistant working with LB's at Austin Peay, and was just hired as d-line coach with Vanderbilt on February 13th. He backed out of that commitment to join Taylor's staff.

Tem Lukabu (LB) - Former 2 time Patriot League player of the year at Colgate, but never played in the NFL. Lukabu began his coaching career as a graduate assistant with Rutgers. He then coached LB's at Rhode Island, before returning to Rutgers to coach outside LB's from 2010-11. He had a 2 month stint as the DC and LB coach at Fordham before landing his first NFL gig in Tampa Bay. He spent his first year in Tampa as an assistant DL coach before shifting over to an assistant with LB's. He then returned to his Alma Mater (Colgate) to coach LB's. His next move was to FIU, in the same position. He spent 2016-17 as a defensive quality control coach with the 49ers, and FINALLY, he was LB coach with Mississippi State in 2018. Needless to say, this guy is well traveled. It took a lot of articles to piece together this guy's coaching history.

Mark Duffner (Senior Defensive Assistant) - Coaching since 1975, Duffner is probably the most experienced coach on staff. This is his 2nd stint with the Bengals, having served as Linebackers Coach from 1997 to 2000, then was promoted to DC/LB's from 2001-2002 under Dlck LeBeau. He played a big role in our last conversion to 3-4. Since getting canned after Marvin was hired, Duffner has served as LB coach with the Packers ('03-05), Jaguars ('06-13) and Buccaneers ('16-18). He was promoted to DC/LB's in 2018 for Tampa. 

Joey Boese (Strength) - Another guy who worked with Taylor and Mike Sherman at Texas A&M (2008-11). Boese was most recently the strength coach at Illinois.
Doug Rosfeld (Director of Coaching Operations) - Worked with Taylor at UC, where he was Director of Player Development

Fixed it for ya buddy, people get confused here easily!
Reply/Quote
I think Duffner will help at the backer position.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Still no Ass't Head Coach named. Is that common?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 09:19 AM)McC Wrote: Still no Ass't Head Coach named. Is that common?

Anyone can be an Asst. HC; PA was ours, when he was here and we had nobody last year, IIRC.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 09:19 AM)McC Wrote: Still no Ass't Head Coach named.  Is that common?

We didn't have one for a while until Marvin showed up, when PA got the title. At this point, I'd say the unofficial Asst. HC is Simmons.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2019, 02:16 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: We didn't have one for a while until Marvin showed up, when PA got the title. At this point, I'd say the unofficial Asst. HC is Simmons.

Yeah, probably Simmons due to his experience and longevity with the team.

Duffner will probably be the experienced voice for the defense.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 02:37 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Anyone can be an Asst. HC; PA was ours, when he was here and we had nobody last year, IIRC.

Hue was marvins special assistant.
Reply/Quote