Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Cody Ford - A top 'under the radar' signing
Not sure exactly who Kenneth Teape is, or if his opinion should be strongly valued, but I'll take all of the positive press we can get when it comes to the Bengals.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/bengals-signing-cody-ford-named-top-under-the-radar-move/ar-AA19qepg?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=7b2045e7e62d4c6694315eabd7a38e91&ei=65

Quote:The Cincinnati Bengals have turned into a powerhouse in the AFC. After advancing to Super Bowl 56, where they lost to the Los Angeles Rams, they made the AFC Championship Game again, this time losing to the Kansas City Chiefs. Cincinnati has a deep, talented roster on both sides of the ball, but the trenches remain a weakness for the team.

Bengals Signing Cody Ford Named Top Under-The-Radar Move

On defense, they lack that premier pass rusher to set the tone. The Bengals had only 30 sacks last season and finding success later on in the season when you cannot consistently get after the quarterback will make winning very difficult.

The offensive line remains a work in progress on the other side of the ball. While that unit got off to a strong start in 2022, things quickly deteriorated with injuries being a big reason why. By the time the postseason rolled around, the Bengals were using three backups in the starting lineup.

Injuries are a part of the game and tough to predict, so it isn’t anyone’s fault necessarily that the offensive line’s performance fell off a cliff. Looking to ensure that doesn’t happen again, the Bengals made another splash in free agency, signing Orlando Brown Jr. away from the Chiefs.

Brown will likely take over the starting left tackle spot, kicking Jonah Williams over to right tackle. That is something Williams isn’t thrilled about and has requested a trade. His uncertain future with the franchise is part of what makes the signing of Cody Ford a top under-the-radar move this offseason.

Ford spent the 2022 season with the Arizona Cardinals and has been a guard for the majority of his career. But, he will likely be going back to his roots and playing tackle for the Bengals, whether it is as the swing or in the starting lineup for Williams.

That kind of versatility is key for Cincinnati, as Ford can be plugged into the lineup at four different spots depending on need. Offensive line signings don’t garner too much attention unless they are top-of-the-market deals, but bringing in Ford is a big deal for the Bengals.

Keeping Joe Burrow protected and upright is of the utmost importance for the franchise. Ford, whether it is as a backup or starter, will help ensure that happens.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 02:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not sure exactly who Kenneth Teape is, or if his opinion should be strongly valued, but I'll take all of the positive press we can get when it comes to the Bengals.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/bengals-signing-cody-ford-named-top-under-the-radar-move/ar-AA19qepg?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=7b2045e7e62d4c6694315eabd7a38e91&ei=65

Anybody that says the 2022 OL got off to a strong start and then quickly deteriorated clearly is not worth reading. Took 3-4 games before they started to gel and it wasn't until week 15-16 that the injuries started to multiply and, again, this same OL with backups looked great against the Bills.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 02:33 PM)higgy100 Wrote: Anybody that says the 2022 OL got off to a strong start and then quickly deteriorated clearly is not worth reading. Took 3-4 games before they started to gel and it wasn't until week 15-16 that the injuries started to multiply and, again, this same OL with backups looked great against the Bills.

He’s probably zeroing in on the 10 game win streak. I’m familiar with Cody. He’s extremely versatile and mean as hell but he’s a backup.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 02:41 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: He’s probably zeroing in on the 10 game win streak. I’m familiar with Cody. He’s extremely versatile and mean as hell but he’s a backup.

Maybe so but the guy is writing an article which if you didn't know better you would think the team got off to a 4-0/4-1 start and then quickly spiraled downward which was as far from what happened as one can be.I agree I like the Cody signing.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 02:33 PM)higgy100 Wrote: Anybody that says the 2022 OL got off to a strong start and then quickly deteriorated clearly is not worth reading. Took 3-4 games before they started to gel and it wasn't until week 15-16 that the injuries started to multiply and, again, this same OL with backups looked great against the Bills.

Yeah and Trey Hendrickson is the #1 best Edge in the league in pass rush win ratio...

And that isn't a premier pass rusher according to this dude. I know he didn't have as many Sacks this season, but he is still tops.

Trey also had some big time plays in the Playoffs especially against the Bills that I think most definitely count.

I hope Cody Ford resurrects his career here, but I actually find Jackson Carman being a stud RT more likely.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 03:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah and Trey Hendrickson is the #1 best Edge in the league in pass rush win ratio...

And that isn't a premier pass rusher according to this dude. I know he didn't have as many Sacks this season, but he is still tops.

Trey also had some big time plays in the Playoffs especially against the Bills that I think most definitely count.

I hope Cody Ford resurrects his career here, but I actually find Jackson Carman being a stud RT more likely.

And Trey did all that with a broken hand. Alot of the Bengals D was also to cause mass confusion as they do drop their DE's into the Leo position which plays like a LB so the constant pressures and sacks weren't there.But when they decided to get to the QB this team caused some nice havoc later in games and came up with sacks and pressures.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 03:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah and Trey Hendrickson is the #1 best Edge in the league in pass rush win ratio...

Agree

I'm not getting my hopes to high that Ford is anything other than (hopefully) a decent backup. Carman on the other hand showed a bit of promise late last season. Crossing fingers he can finally develop into a good starter.
Reply/Quote

Yeah, I had never heard of the guy who wrote the article, I just thought that it was nice to see a low key signing like Ford getting attention as being a good 'under the radar' signing.  Obviously the guy needs to do a little more studying before whiffing on a star player like Hendrickson.

(04-03-2023, 04:15 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree

I'm not getting my hopes to high that Ford is anything other than (hopefully) a decent backup. Carman on the other hand showed a bit of promise late last season. Crossing fingers he can finally develop into a good starter.

If that happens, it will definitely be money well spent.  Hopefully the coaches saw some traits in Ford that haven't been able to be used to his advantage yet in his career?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 04:05 PM)higgy100 Wrote: And Trey did all that with a broken hand. Alot of the Bengals D was also to cause mass confusion as they do drop their DE's into the Leo position which plays like a LB so the constant pressures and sacks weren't there.But when they decided to get to the QB this team caused some nice havoc later in games and came up with sacks and pressures.

Truth, when Trey has to get home, he gets home better than about anybody. Amazing what he did with a broken wrist.

(04-03-2023, 04:15 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree

Yes sir, if Ford becomes good depth that's cool. Not expecting him to start at all, from what we have seen he is a bad starter.

I do like that he plays mean though as Soonerpeace says. I honestly don't care for finesse OL that much.

(04-03-2023, 04:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, I had never heard of the guy who wrote the article, I just thought that it was nice to see a low key signing like Ford getting attention as being a good 'under the radar' signing.  Obviously the guy needs to do a little more studying before whiffing on a star player like Hendrickson.

If that happens, it will definitely be money well spent.  Hopefully the coaches saw some traits in Ford that haven't been able to be used to his advantage yet in his career?

For sure Sunset, I sure hope Ford does well, we just cannot count on it at all from what he has done in the NFL.

He might fit here who knows. Him and Orlando are definitely Power Gap scheme OL though, if we try and use them in Wide Zone it 
would be a mistake. These guys aren't athletic OL that you need in a Wide Zone scheme.
Reply/Quote
The biggest problem with Cody Ford is that he's not good at football.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 04:05 PM)higgy100 Wrote: And Trey did all that with a broken hand. Alot of the Bengals D was also to cause mass confusion as they do drop their DE's into the Leo position which plays like a LB so the constant pressures and sacks weren't there.But when they decided to get to the QB this team caused some nice havoc later in games and came up with sacks and pressures.

We seem to get dinged for not very many sacks. I think its just the way Lou designed the the defense. We do play a lot of teams where it seems containing the QB is more important.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 04:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, I had never heard of the guy who wrote the article, I just thought that it was nice to see a low key signing like Ford getting attention as being a good 'under the radar' signing.  Obviously the guy needs to do a little more studying before whiffing on a star player like Hendrickson.

He does say Ford might be moving to his more natural position, RT. I don't know anything about the guy, so it's a wait and see for me.
Reply/Quote

Mehhhhh

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 07:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Him and Orlando are definitely Power Gap scheme OL though, if we try and use them in Wide Zone it 
would be a mistake. These guys aren't athletic OL that you need in a Wide Zone scheme.

There's nothing wrong with a Power Gap rushing attack.  They've tried ad-nauseum to do the Wide Zone, and for one reason or another it just hasn't worked well with any consistency.  The best rushing attack is the one that your players can execute well, over and over again.

Being able to line up and move your opponent off of the ball is a great thing to be able to do.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I liked Cody Ford coming out of college.
He had sufficient length and size to stay outside, but he does lack some lateral athleticism.
We might see him not being able to consistently stay with guys who try to rush outside around him.
Ford reportedly prefers to play RT over guard anyway, which should be a motivating factor for him.
We'll see if he actually ends up being any kind of decent, but I'll honestly take anyone over Adeniji at this point.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Still think Carman will emerge as the RT, hoping anyway.

Would be nice to have someone that young win the job that will still be here for awhile.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 07:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Truth, when Trey has to get home, he gets home better than about anybody. Amazing what he did with a broken wrist.

Yes sir, if Ford becomes good depth that's cool. Not expecting him to start at all, from what we have seen he is a bad starter.

I do like that he plays mean though as Soonerpeace says. I honestly don't care for finesse OL that much.

For sure Sunset, I sure hope Ford does well, we just cannot count on it at all from what he has done in the NFL.

He might fit here who knows. Him and Orlando are definitely Power Gap scheme OL though, if we try and use them in Wide Zone it 

Nathan, you keep saying this but teams want to run a mixture of schemes. They don't want to be tied down to one or the other. It makes them easier to defend.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 07:39 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: There's nothing wrong with a Power Gap rushing attack.  They've tried ad-nauseum to do the Wide Zone, and for one reason or another it just hasn't worked well with any consistency.  The best rushing attack is the one that your players can execute well, over and over again.

Being able to line up and move your opponent off of the ball is a great thing to be able to do.

Mixon doesn't have the traits to run a good zone scheme. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 11:31 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Mixon doesn't have the traits to run a good zone scheme. 

Agreed, it takes the right back as well as perfectly orchestrated blocking, in order to successfully execute the Wide Zone.  Every time I see Mixon do that little stutter step, my gut tells me that the play is likely going nowhere forward.  He just doesn't have the vision, anticipation and burst off of the cut.  He's much more of a 'point and shoot' type of back, explosive out of his stance and hitting the hole directly.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Well with an almost unanimous board decision on Mixon going forward the meltdown will be epic. Problem of course is convincing Justin Hill, Zac, Brian, and Pollard. Much less his teammates lol
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote