Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cody Ford signs with the Bengals
(03-16-2023, 10:50 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Carman sucked most of his 2nd year. He did ok versus the Bills.

He did so well that they signed a couple more lineman. They wouldn't have signed Ford if they believed in Carman.

They signed Ford to a 1 year deal. That has no impact on Carman, who played fine in the Chiefs game as well. He was really good in the Bills game, not okay. You already wrote Carman off after his rookie year so I expect you to not give him a fair evaluation. 
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 10:54 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He's played in the NFL for 4 years. He's 26. His pff grade this past season was 41.2.

He's a back up. Most back up linemen aren't great. Honestly confused why you're complaining this much about a 1 year deal for a guy who hopefully won't see the field. 
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 10:58 PM)TheFan Wrote: He's a back up. Most back up linemen aren't great. Honestly confused why you're complaining this much about a 1 year deal for a guy who hopefully won't see the field. 

I'm replying to you replying to my 1 post that said he sucked thus far in his career.

Here's an idea: Let's neither of us waste our time posting about this again.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 11:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'm replying to you replying to my 1 post that said he sucked thus far in his career.

Here's an idea: Let's neither of us waste our time posting about this again.

Agreed. This will be my last one. I deleted that previous post because I thought it was in response to a previous question I asked regarding your post about Scott also being a crappy signing. I didn't read it clearly enough to see you were talking about Ford and not Scott. 
Reply/Quote
Kind of ass.

Not sure if he's even needed for detph. We got Collins when healthy, Volson, and Schrapening. We really don't need any more Mid or bootycheek guards.

Edit: He's a tackle. Okay. We got Brown, Williams, Adeniji, Carman, etc.
Reply/Quote
Just a depth signing. He'll most likely only see the field due to injury.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Bills traded a 5th to move up like 2 spots for him in the 2nd. We wanted him in that draft apparently. Cardinals traded a 5th for him last year during roster crunch cut down period from the Bills, and got him for the last year of his rookie deal.

And now we get the 26 year old on a 1 year prove it deal and he has started at 3 different positions and has played multiple positions for 2 different NFL teams that traded to acquire him.

He has a millions of really good reasons to play his best football this year. And reunites with an old linemate.

Love it.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 01:13 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: Kind of ass.

Not sure if he's even needed for detph. We got Collins when healthy, Volson, and Schrapening. We really don't need any more Mid or bootycheek guards.

Edit: He's a tackle. Okay. We got Brown, Williams, Adeniji, Carman, etc.

You should have went all the way with it and dubbed him Schrapnel.
Go Benton Panthers!!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 03:02 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Bills traded a 5th to move up like 2 spots for him in the 2nd. We wanted him in that draft apparently. Cardinals traded a 5th for him last year during roster crunch cut down period from the Bills, and got him for the last year of his rookie deal.

And now we get the 26 year old on a 1 year prove it deal and he has started at 3 different positions and has played multiple positions for 2 different NFL teams that traded to acquire him.

He has a millions of really good reasons to play his best football this year. And reunites with an old linemate.

Love it.
Rumor is that he can catch pretty well, too.

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Depth, of course he isn’t a starter, or grade out like one. The back end of the 53, on most rosters…. Likely has same caliber of player.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 09:52 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Carman has been terrible most of his career and had a couple decent, but not great or terrible postseason games. And this guy is direct competition with him. Ie if they liked Carman...they don't sign this guy.

Or, they realize now how easily a Super Bowl run can be derailed by injury and want as many quality reserves as possible instead of putting all their eggs in the starter basket.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 08:52 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Ford has been absolutely terrible as a pro.

is he better depth that what we just let go?  i doubt his 1 year contract gaurentees a roster spot...  But a chance to compete
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 09:24 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: is he better depth that what we just let go?  i doubt his 1 year contract gaurentees a roster spot...  But a chance to compete

Right....and a likely replacement for the older Sharping.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 08:32 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Or, they realize now how easily a Super Bowl run can be derailed by injury and want as many quality reserves as possible instead of putting all their eggs in the starter basket.

Ford hasn't been a quality reserve to this point. He's on par with the other backups we've had.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 09:46 AM)Wyche Wrote: Right....and a likely replacement for the older Sharping.

Scharping was considerably better this year. His PFF grade was low 60's. Ford was low 40's. The best Ford ever had was in the 50's in his career year.
Reply/Quote
They didn't sign him to play guard.

I just read where he will be competing for the starting right tackle spot.

May the best man win!!!
Reply/Quote
Ford was projected to go first round, is it a personality problem?
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 10:21 AM)BengalBob Wrote: They didn't sign him to play guard.

May the best man win!!!

I read this on Bengals.com as well. Ford views his time at guard as "playing iut of position." Which may be an excuse fir his crap performance, but makes this signing EVEN DUMBER. 

https://www.bengals.com/news/joe-burrow-s-transformed-offensive-line

Let's take him at his word. We now have 7 tackles (Brown, Williams, Carman, Collins, Adeniji, Smith, and Ford) and only 2 guards (Volson & Cappa). We need guards, not more tackles. 

The Brown signing was an A+. Pratt an A. This is an F. 
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 10:21 AM)BengalBob Wrote: They didn't sign him to play guard.

May the best man win!!!

Maybe he ends up being the right side version of Jackson Carman. Colossal bust at guard, but kinda decent at tackle.

Assuming he signed for super cheap, this is a good signing for depth.

Still need a few guards though, so we still have an IOL need. Unless they think D'Ante Smith or La'el Collins can kick inside (which we've not been successful with so far).
Reply/Quote
Competition breeds improvement. Best man plays. If he wants to play, he'll step up his game. If he doesn't, he won't make the 53.
Reply/Quote