Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cody core
(12-10-2016, 10:53 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: I liken the Core situation to Jerome Simpson. The man was drafted in 2008, and didn't see the field until the final games of 2010, and he only saw the field then because of injuries to TO and Chad. Marvin, for some reason I'll never understand, couldn't figure out how to put Simpson on the field. When asked about it at a press conference, Marvin said responded with something like, "what do you want me to do, bench Chad?"..... SERIOUSLY!? Ever heard of rotating? If nothing else, the second round draft pick should have seen the field at least a few times a game from 2008 onward. There was no reason to have Simpson rotting on the bench for that long. None. I was not the least bit surprised he lit up the chargers in his debut. And I was not the least bit surprised to see Core reel in a long pass. He needs to see the field more, and sadly it took injuries for it to happen but... That's our coach  Whatever

Marvin has let talent rot on the bench. I remember Gio just sat there. Core has been sitting there...
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2016, 05:13 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Marvin has let talent rot on the bench. I remember Gio just sat there. Core has been sitting there...
His played rookie year
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2016, 08:31 AM)Jpoore Wrote: His played rookie year

which one.

gio is clearly better than hill (when not injured, although hill is probably injured now too with all the limping he does), but sat on the bench - then shared the bawl with inferiority. marvin lets talent rot, they're late to the game. makes sense why we see half time adjustments result in something positive 5% of the time.

jerome sat on the bench, too. 
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2016, 11:12 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: which one.

gio is clearly better than hill (when not injured, although hill is probably injured now too with all the limping he does), but sat on the bench - then shared the bawl with inferiority. marvin lets talent rot, they're late to the game. makes sense why we see half time adjustments result in something positive 5% of the time.

jerome sat on the bench, too. 

Gio-van had more snaps than Law Firm.

Strike one.

2004, Hill had more naps than Gio-van.

Strike two.

No strike three though, because of 'rome.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2016, 10:12 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: There is no reason that Core cannot be used regularly as a deep threat in this offense.

Playbook, intelligence, whatever...

Exhibit A:

[Image: th?id=OIP.Md106abdd477c178ac53914e252e40...=231&h=157]

I completely agree....simplify his routes, but utilize his speed NOW.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2016, 11:12 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: jerome sat on the bench, too. 

Simpson sat on the bench because he couldn't learn the damn playbook. It was well known the guy was talented but had no clue what he was doing. I'll knock Marvin for a lot, but that was on Simpson.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2016, 05:13 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Marvin has let talent rot on the bench. I remember Gio just sat there. Core has been sitting there...

Do you even follow the Bengals???  Here's footage of Marvin letting Gio rot on the bench during his rookie season.... look at that poor kid just sitting there, someone should have given him a chance...

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 09:27 AM)Au165 Wrote: Simpson sat on the bench because he couldn't learn the damn playbook. It was well known the guy was talented but had no clue what he was doing. I'll knock Marvin for a lot, but that was on Simpson.

He couldn't put Jerome in at least a couple times a game to run a go route or a quick slant? He looked damn fine in games when he was forced to play due to injuries. He wasn't perfect, but definitely game-capable. That's mostly on Marvin for sure. 
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 10:53 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: He couldn't put Jerome in at least a couple times a game to run a go route or a quick slant? He looked damn fine in games when he was forced to play due to injuries. He wasn't perfect, but definitely game-capable. That's mostly on Marvin for sure. 

No, because he couldn't make sight adjustments on routes and couldn't change the route if it were audibled. The guy was an idiot, and if you needed anymore proof see his off field antics. In college he basically was a part of an offense doing what you said and got away with it because of his freak athleticism, but In the NFL that doesn't fly. See Cordarelle Paterson taking 3 years to get on the field in Minnesota, better athlete than Simpson, but just as ill prepared for the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 09:38 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Do you even follow the Bengals???  Here's footage of Marvin letting Gio rot on the bench during his rookie season.... look at that poor kid just sitting there, someone should have given him a chance...

Definition of sitting on the bench is up for discussion. 

Guess you don't remember how much discussion came up with Gio having to split reps with the slow/old law firm? How quickly your brain forgets, when you try so hard to be right but are wrong nearly every time.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 09:27 AM)Au165 Wrote: Simpson sat on the bench because he couldn't learn the damn playbook. It was well known the guy was talented but had no clue what he was doing. I'll knock Marvin for a lot, but that was on Simpson.

Oh yes, when he suddenly some day understood the whole playbook - he came in, and kicked ass. Chad didn't know the playbook either, you know that right? Remember all that playing time in NE? He had no effing clue. Carson and Chad had their own rules. Nice excuse, though.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 09:44 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Oh yes, when he suddenly some day understood the whole playbook - he came in, and kicked ass. Chad didn't know the playbook either, you know that right? Remember all that playing time in NE? He had no effing clue. Carson and Chad had their own rules. Nice excuse, though.

Are you really arguing for Jerome Simpson? He never "kicked ass" here or anywhere else...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 09:55 PM)Synric Wrote: Are you really arguing for Jerome Simpson? He never "kicked ass" here or anywhere else...

Do you think Chad Johnson knew the playbook? Lol. Why did he fail in NE? Because he couldn't learn the playbook. There's no predicting why certain players play on our team or don't anymore.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 10:00 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Do you think Chad Johnson knew the playbook? Lol. Why did he fail in NE? Because he couldn't learn the playbook and real coaches don't put up with bullshit.

I didn't mention Chad Johnson at all...I said Simpson was never anything more than a mediocre receiver at best and 1 indiscretion away from being out of the league...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 10:03 PM)Synric Wrote: I didn't mention Chad Johnson at all...I said Simpson was never anything more than a mediocre receiver at best and 1 indiscretion away from being out of the league...

My point is you can't guess why someone is on the bench. You think you know why, but that can't be the reason. M. Nugent is the worst player in the NFL and he's our starting kicker.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 10:05 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: My point is you can't guess why someone is on the bench. You think you know why, but that can't be the reason. M. Nugent is the worst player in the NFL and he's our starting kicker.

Yes and our crap head coach and owner let it happen.

I bet you ask a board of peers what they think of Nugent and it wouldn't be far from what the fans feel.

It's a damn joke.  Only in the world of the Bengals franchise it is "ho hum" let's just roll with it.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote

Yeah, I recall those 2 games Simpson had at the end of 2010 leading to the idea that he was some amazing weapon (and yea, the word uncoverable got tossed around) while people gleefully extrapolated his stats to a 16-game season.

Wowza, 1900 yards, some 20 TDs and 16 lost fumbles!  Ooh  la la!  Thankfully we didn't let Jerome's surge stop us from drafting AJ.  That would have been akin to the Chicago Bears letting the Packers have Aaron Rodgers because, hey, they already had Rex Grossman AND Kyle Orton!

Anyways, we got all hyped up over Simpson and he had an ok year and then we were all glad to see him go.  I'm not sure why we are looking at him through delusion-colored glasses.

BACK on topic...I'd actually expect a guy who is never at risk of being fired like Marvin to be more likely to rotate in new guys. Many HC's are so paranoid a lousy W/L ratio will get them fired that they stick with pointless vets game after game because they want to win meaningless games RIGHT NOW to protect their jobs rather than scout out and develop a team for their replacement.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 10:05 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: My point is you can't guess why someone is on the bench. You think you know why, but that can't be the reason. M. Nugent is the worst player in the NFL and he's our starting kicker.

Ok what's your solution? Find someone else? I hate to be the bearer of bad news but that's not quite so simple ask the Steelers they also have a shitty kicker. The Giants had to pull Gould out of retirement.

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 10:43 PM)Synric Wrote: Ok what's your solution? Find someone else? I hate to be the bearer of bad news but that's not quite so simple ask the Steelers they also have a shitty kicker. The Giants had to pull Gould out of retirement.

Er, I hate to break the news to YOU but the Steelers got a kicker off the street and he missed 0 FGs and 0 XPs so far.  Nugent...well, you know.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 09:42 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Definition of sitting on the bench is up for discussion. 

Guess you don't remember how much discussion came up with Gio having to split reps with the slow/old law firm? How quickly your brain forgets, when you try so hard to be right but are wrong nearly every time.

No, it's really not. And I guess you think a light back like Gio could play every snap instead of having a heavy back like BJGE to split with him. How long do you think he would last? The more you post, the more apparent it is you know nothing of football.
Reply/Quote