Add: Flavoring
Roast: Light
Roast: Medium
Roast: Dark
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coffee
(11-04-2015, 08:40 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: To expand on that, airtight glass or another airtight canister is best, especially if you are storing ground beans for more than a couple of days. If you go with the glass container, or any material that lets light through, put the canister in a place light doesn't hit it. Never the fridge or freezer. Most coffee snobs will say pre-ground is a no-no, and I can tell you it does make a huge difference, but doing that is just fine. I know people that go so far as to roast their beans each morning and swear by that, so we could just keep going down that rabbit hole. Do what you like and have time/resources for.

I am curious, are you making sure you have the right grind for your press? Most pre-ground is ground for auto-drip and that can cause a bad press experience trying to use that. So I want to make sure you have the coarsest grind going for it so you aren't spitting grinds out after drinking your coffee.

Thanks. I knew when I got the French press I could not buy most of the stuff at the store that is pre-ground for drip makers but I did not want to buy a grinder, in part because I never drank coffee before and this was an experiment. When I went to Starbuck's and bought a bag of coffee beans they told me they would grind it coarse for the press. It was actually the first question the guy asked - how are you going to make the coffee. When I said French press he said that was what he did at home and assured me that was a smart way to go. I am assuming if I go someplace else that has whole beans they could do the same thing, right? It doesn't cost any more and I don't have to buy a grinder that way.  
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 09:49 AM)xxlt Wrote: Thanks. I knew when I got the French press I could not buy most of the stuff at the store that is pre-ground for drip makers but I did not want to buy a grinder, in part because I never drank coffee before and this was an experiment. When I went to Starbuck's and bought a bag of coffee beans they told me they would grind it coarse for the press. It was actually the first question the guy asked - how are you going to make the coffee. When I said French press he said that was what he did at home and assured me that was a smart way to go. I am assuming if I go someplace else that has whole beans they could do the same thing, right? It doesn't cost any more and I don't have to buy a grinder that way.  

If you get your beans from a coffee shop or supply place, they will often offer to grind them for you. A lot of grocery stores have whole bean coffee and in that same aisle there is an industrial grinder. Whether buying a bag or bulk coffee, you don't get any sideways looks when you open it up and grind it right back into the bag. It's a pretty common situation. Just always make sure if you use it, check the hopper to make sure it is empty first and then there should be a flap on the spout. Lift that and let it flap a few times. You will be surprised how much coffee drops out. Not know what kind it is or how stale it may be, best to get it out of the way first. I recommend trying out bulk coffees from places (smaller roasters as well) and do some small bags (there will often be some around). It lets you try out different origins, blends, roasts, etc. A great way to really explore the world if you have the desire to. Maybe just use it for a weekend treat or something even.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2015, 04:59 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Coffee drinkers, what's you choice? I tried to keep it broad in the choices, you can get into the details in a post.

Personally, I like a good medium roast, usually single origin, done through a drip (not auto-drip, but pour over with some steep time) and nothing else in it.

dark roast... BLack

but i cant drink it right now on a no caffinee diet blah
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 10:50 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: dark roast... BLack

but i cant drink it right now on a no caffinee diet  blah

The darker the roast, the lower the caffeine content. So when you do resume drinking coffee, you will be easing into it. 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
Blue Mountain coffee from Jamaica is very good. I'm no coffee snob, but I've heard that it's highly rated by some enthusiasts as well.

I don't drink much caffeine in general, but a good dark roast from the work coffee shop does the trick when I'm in the mood. I find that I don't need to add anything to coffee as long as it's decent quality.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 11:29 AM)wildcats forever Wrote: The darker the roast, the lower the caffeine content. So when you do resume drinking coffee, you will be easing into it. 

still waiting for the Caffinee patch
Reply/Quote
2-3 cups store brand in the morning to get the pooper cranked up

Never been to a starbucks or coffee shop
Reply/Quote