Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cohesion
Cohesion.  That's the word rattling around in my mind as I look to the Bengals' Opening Day against the Baltimore Ravens.

Why am I fixated on cohesion?  Because the Bengals don't have any.  Cincinnati may have one of the most talented rosters in the entire NFL but they don't play together as a team; that's a lack of cohesion.  For example, Andy Dalton is throwing behind AJ Green, Kevin Minter doesn't seem to be in the right place on defense, and in the trenches it's every man for himself instead of the linemen coordinating their efforts.

This isn't on the players.  It's on the coaches.

A team can have a less talented roster and still win if they are taught to play with cohesion. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Do we have one of the most talented teams in the NFL?

I'd rank our overall top to bottom talent somewhere in the middle.

To be at the Top we'd need guys like Dennard, Ross, Billings, Jackson, Vigil, and Minter to be good players. So far, I can't say that any of them are good at this point. They have potential and in time could be...

The offensive line has less talent than last year.

Our LB's are below average without Burfict.

Our secondary is banged up.
Reply/Quote
Hard to judge all of that in preseason.
Reply/Quote
I think you guys are putting way too much stock in the Preseason...

We looked like complete crap in the Preseason of 2015...

I will judge come opening day when we play the Ravens.
Reply/Quote
3-4 games in and we'll see how well (or not) they play as a team. For now it's just deciding who is going to stick around and who isn't and who will start and who isn't. Since I dropped and broke my fortune telling crystal ball I can't say how they'll do. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 04:50 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Do we have one of the most talented teams in the NFL?

I'd rank our overall top to bottom talent somewhere in the middle.

To be at the Top we'd need guys like Dennard, Ross, Billings, Jackson, Vigil, and Minter to be good players. So far, I can't say that any of them are good at this point. They have potential and in time could be...

The offensive line has less talent than last year.

Our LB's are below average without Burfict.

Our secondary is banged up.

Whats going on with Iloka anyway? Is he going to play opening day?
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 04:24 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Cohesion.  That's the word rattling around in my mind as I look to the Bengals' Opening Day against the Baltimore Ravens.

Why am I fixated on cohesion?  Because the Bengals don't have any.  Cincinnati may have one of the most talented rosters in the entire NFL but they don't play together as a team; that's a lack of cohesion.  For example, Andy Dalton is throwing behind AJ Green, Kevin Minter doesn't seem to be in the right place on defense, and in the trenches it's every man for himself instead of the linemen coordinating their efforts.

A team can have a less talented roster and still win if they are taught to play with cohesion.  
I saw a lot of cohesion with 1st team.. so don;t agree at all
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 06:30 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I saw a lot of cohesion with 1st team.. so don;t agree at all

Same here, completely dominated the Skins 1's early.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 05:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think you guys are putting way too much stock in the Preseason...

True

Only thing im worried about is our starting LB's. im hoping evans gets some playing time
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 05:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think you guys are putting way too much stock in the Preseason...

This. Very true. Hell, I thought we actually looked worse in the 2015 preseason. Can't truly make any judgements on the team until after week 1, at the very least
Reply/Quote
This team will surprise a lot of people this season. The Oline has shown just enough that I think this offense is going to be good. Defensively, if we can build off of what we had going in the second half of the season last year, we will be fine. I think with geno, Dunlap, Willis and Lawson we will be getting after the qb more than we've seen around here in a long time. Breathe easy, this year is gonna be fun. Enjoy it.

Reply/Quote

I agree, but In 2012 the Bengals lost the opener to Baltimore 44 to 13 with Mike Zimmer as our defensive coordinator.  They finished 10 - 6 and went to the playoffs.

Whether they are good or bad, I am going to enjoy the ride, but I don’t expect to be able to make judgements until the end of October.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 06:41 PM)magikod Wrote: True

Only thing im worried about is our starting LB's. im hoping evans gets some playing time

Vigil has looked alright and Vinny is solid. Minter just needs to get more snaps in the system but if he isn't cutting
you have to give Evans some snaps regardless and Marv is even really speaking highly of the guy, could be special.

(09-01-2017, 06:45 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: This. Very true. Hell, I thought we actually looked worse in the 2015 preseason. Can't truly make any judgements on the team until after week 1, at the very least

I might even be premature on this correct Pat.

(09-01-2017, 07:11 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: This team will surprise a lot of people this season. The Oline has shown just enough that I think this  offense is going to be good. Defensively, if we can build off of what we had going in the second half of the season last year, we will be fine. I think with geno, Dunlap, Willis and Lawson we will be getting after the qb more than we've seen around here in a long time. Breathe easy, this year is gonna be fun. Enjoy it.

Thats the thing, everybody and their mother was saying how this season hinges on the O-line and they have looked alright.

Weird how even some of the more positive posters are talking negative after the Preseason and the OL looked alright...

In the run game big time that helps everyone especially Dalton so we can stay balanced. Mixon people. Cool

Fun times. Rock On

(09-01-2017, 07:39 PM)OBX Bengal Wrote: I agree, but In 2012 the Bengals lost the opener to Baltimore 44 to 13 with Mike Zimmer as our defensive coordinator.  They finished 10 - 6 and went to the playoffs.

Whether they are good or bad, I am going to enjoy the ride, but I don’t expect to be able to make judgements until the end of October.

Great point OBX about that terrible opener against the Ratbirds. Hard to put your hat on your team until October really.

Same here man, should be fun.
Reply/Quote
Lost a few locker room leaders so it may take a moment.

But am with others that now is not the time to judget
Let's see a real game or two first.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 04:24 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Cohesion.  That's the word rattling around in my mind as I look to the Bengals' Opening Day against the Baltimore Ravens.

Hmm, not sure about this analysis.  I will have to analyze this a little more.
Reply/Quote