Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cold Weather Factor
Any concerns about cold weather effecting Burrow and Chase? Looking back at their time together at LSU, they didn’t really play in any cold environments in Nov/Dec

Nov 9, 2019 — Tuscaloosa AL, high of 66.9 degrees
Nov 16, 2019 — Oxford MS, high if 59.0 degrees
Nov 23, 2019 — Baton Rouge LA, high of 70.0 degrees
Nov 30, 2019 — Baton Rouge, LA, high of 82.0 degrees
Dec 7, 2019 — Atlanta GA, high of 63.0 degrees
Dec 28, 2019 — Atlanta GA, high of 68 degrees
Jan 13, 2020 — New Orleans LA, high of 70 degrees

All of the above was eyeballed from some charts, so it’s not a perfect analysis, but it didn’t look like the low got below 30 for any of those games. Most the December and January games were in domes as well.

Burrow was hurt last year before we got a chance to see how he plays in cold weather. Jamar Chase said in an interview a while back that he can’t remember playing in a cold game… yikes.

Any concerns the weather effects these twos production?
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2021, 04:31 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Any concerns about cold weather effecting Burrow and Chase? Looking back at their time together at LSU, they didn’t really play in any cold environments in Nov/Dec

All of the above was eyeballed from some charts, so it’s not a perfect analysis, but it didn’t look like the low got below 30 for any of those games. Most the December and January games were in domes as well.

Burrow was hurt last year before we got a chance to see how he plays in cold weather. Jamar Chase said in an interview a while back that he can’t remember playing in a cold game… yikes.

I doubt it. Outside of Kentucky, most SEC teams don't really play much in cold weather and those players seem to do fine in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2021, 04:56 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I doubt it. Outside of Kentucky, most SEC teams don't really play much in cold weather and those players seem to do fine in the NFL.

Even the QBs?
Reply/Quote
Yes and no.

Burrow only played two seasons in Louisiana and spent the rest of his life (and played all other seasons) in Ohio.   He'll be fine.

Chase, however, has spent his entire life up to this year in Louisiana, so any game played below 40 degrees will be his own personal Freezer Bowl.

[Image: 4dcfcf9c79438c2c2408511943fa5956.jpg]
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2021, 05:34 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Yes and no.

Burrow only played two seasons in Louisiana and spent the rest of his life (and played all other seasons) in Ohio.   He'll be fine.

Chase, however, has spent his entire life up to this year in Louisiana, so any game played below 40 degrees will be his own personal Freezer Bowl.

[Image: 4dcfcf9c79438c2c2408511943fa5956.jpg]

Yes, you make a good point that I overlooked, Burrow did play high school ball in Ohio. It’s weird IMO to have a guy that had essentially 0 cold weather games in college… however, there have been guys like Aaron Rodgers who grew up in sunny California and plays just fine in the GB cold.

Anyways, interested to see how they both do in the cold. Some guys elevate their game and I’m hoping JB is that type of QB!
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2021, 04:31 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Any concerns about cold weather effecting Burrow and Chase? Looking back at their time together at LSU, they didn’t really play in any cold environments in Nov/Dec

It could be a concern, yeah. This is by no means in-depth research, but I went and looked at offensive performance over the last 10 years across the league, before and after week 8. Offensive efficiency dropped across the board, save four or five teams. Cincinnati in particular has been awful after week 8 since 2011. Obviously injuries factor into this to some degree, but weather changes do as well.

Something to keep an eye on. 
Reply/Quote
It'll be a great opportunity to bring up two silly narratives:

9 inch hands!!!
Practice bubble!!!

But to be serious, I am not terribly concerned about it. I tend to believe that temperature as a factor is overstated. I hope it doesn't significantly change the way the coaching staff calls plays or designs gameplans. I can envision them running into stacked fronts stubbornly because that's what you do in the cold, and I am pre-emptively annoyed.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2021, 05:49 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: It'll be a great opportunity to bring up two silly narratives:

9 inch hands!!!
Practice bubble!!!

But to be serious, I am not terribly concerned about it. I tend to believe that temperature as a factor is overstated. I hope it doesn't significantly change the way the coaching staff calls plays or designs gameplans. I can envision them running into stacked fronts stubbornly because that's what you do in the cold, and I am pre-emptively annoyed.

Great point, at least those two will get lots of practice out in the elements! Practice bubble shmactice bubble.
Reply/Quote
I mean, we never got to see Burrow's tiny hands in cold weather last year...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28772745/source-joe-burrow-measured-9-inch-hands-nfl-combine

Ninja

- - - - - -
(Actually was pleased he stepped up his ball safety compared to last year. Tiny hands jokes aside, 9 fumbles in 10 games was a bit worrying. Less so now with 2 in 9 games this year.)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2021, 06:44 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I mean, we never got to see Burrow's tiny hands in cold weather last year...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28772745/source-joe-burrow-measured-9-inch-hands-nfl-combine

Ninja

- - - - - -
(Actually was pleased he stepped up his ball safety compared to last year. Tiny hands jokes aside, 9 fumbles in 10 games was a bit worrying. Less so now with 2 in 9 games this year.)

He just traded them for interceptions....
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2021, 09:27 PM)jason Wrote: He just traded them for interceptions....

Well... yeah... but I was trying to be positive. Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Tiger

Its a 5-4 team moving forward with talent at the skill positions and no identity. The cold weather is what AFCN teams build for along both lines of scrimmage. It has nothing to do with Chase and throwing the football. Thats a plus. Its about offensive and defensive line play and who can win. Running the damn football with Joe Mixon and coaching! In Nov/Dec.....Jan BTW: If Jackson Carman is healthy LET HIM PLAY ADENIJII IS A TACKLE!!!
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2021, 10:13 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

Its a 5-4 team moving forward with talent at the skill positions and no identity. The cold weather is what AFCN teams build for along both lines of scrimmage. It has nothing to do with Chase and throwing the football. Thats a plus. Its about offensive and defensive line play and who can win. Running the damn football with Joe Mixon and coaching! In Nov/Dec.....Jan BTW: If Jackson Carman is healthy LET HIM PLAY ADENIJII IS A TACKLE!!!

This is a weird take… if it’s going to come down to the running game then I have little faith in this team for the second half of the season. And the identity thus far is the deep game with Chase… last two weeks of play, no Chase deep ball, no win…. It certainly comes down to Burrow Chase to take this offense to the playoffs…
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2021, 05:00 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Even the QBs?

Yes, Even going back to Broadway Joe Namath (Alabama), Manning (Tennessee) Bart Starr went to Green Bay of all places after playing at Alabama. More modern times, Mayfield played at Oklahoma, right? Winston played at Florida. Tua Tagawhateverhisname is played at Bama. Mahomes came out of Texas Tech.  The list goes on and on of QBs in the NFL who played their college ball in the sourth.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2021, 05:49 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: It'll be a great opportunity to bring up two silly narratives:

9 inch hands!!!
Practice bubble!!!

I think temperature mostly affects the kickers and punters, unless they heat the balls on the sideline before the play.
Reply/Quote
Ive seen wind games with Burrow. He is an upgrade over Dalton.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2021, 09:29 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Yes, Even going back to Broadway Joe Namath (Alabama), Manning (Tennessee) Bart Starr went to Green Bay of all places after playing at Alabama. More modern times, Mayfield played at Oklahoma, right? Winston played at Florida. Tua Tagawhateverhisname is played at Bama. Mahomes came out of Texas Tech.  The list goes on and on of QBs in the NFL who played their college ball in the sourth.

Joe Namath is a historically bad QB… Manning struggled in cold weather… Bart Starr played an entirely different brand of football…. And then Baker, Winston and Tua??? That isn’t a strong list, especially for playing in the cold. Mahommes maybe? But Texas actually gets cold in the winter…
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2021, 10:25 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Joe Namath is a historically bad QB… Manning struggled in cold weather… Bart Starr played an entirely different brand of football…. And then Baker, Winston and Tua??? That isn’t a strong list, especially for playing in the cold. Mahommes maybe? But Texas actually gets cold in the winter…

Oklahoma gets colder than Texas for absolute certainty since Oklahoma has zero gulf ports and zero border with Mexico. I've been in both places.. OK is definitely a colder place..

Either way though, whether they can play in cold as well or not is irrelevant.  Nobody really finds it a hell of a lot of fun to get jammed up or bang a finger when it's freezing. Plenty of players on both sides and both teams, no matter who they are have guys not particularly used to cold weather, but they're paid well enough to damned well get used to it quickly.. If they don't wanna work in the cold they're in the wrong profession. I freakin hate the cold, but I'm 62 and 140 pounds.. I ain't got no fat to absorb it.. Cold weather is a pretty lame excuse to use if you can't catch when it's cold. It's the main reason baseball is played in the summer time and football isn't.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2021, 10:25 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Joe Namath is a historically bad QB… Manning struggled in cold weather… Bart Starr played an entirely different brand of football…. And then Baker, Winston and Tua??? That isn’t a strong list, especially for playing in the cold. Mahommes maybe? But Texas actually gets cold in the winter…

It's just the list off the top of my head. I'm sure I could go back and compile a long list.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2021, 12:31 PM)Sled21 Wrote: It's just the list off the top of my head. I'm sure I could go back and compile a long list.

FWIW, you’re more right then wrong, there have been plenty of warm weather college QBs who do just fine in the professionals. But it is interesting that the two best QBs of all time played ball at Norte Dame and Michigan.

I think either way there are some guys who do fine in the cold, some who don’t. My point was that I have 0 idea how JB and especially Chase are going to respond to it. Hopefully well! I overlooked JBs Ohio roots when making this thread, and that gives me a ton of confidence that I didn’t have previously.
Reply/Quote