Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colin Kapernick benches self for National Anthem
(08-30-2016, 12:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: When the Anthem is played we are normally given instruction on what to do to show respect. If you do not choose to do this you are not showing respect (disrespect).

Quick check on learning. Which person in the below photo is showing respect to his country?

Now given some in this photo may be disrespecting out of ignorance as opposed to with intent.

No you are being a free citizen.

They could all be respectful...just not following "instructions".
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
For those of us who attend NHL games, do you stand for the Canadian national anthem? The answer is yes because you're simply showing a modicum of respect to the nationality of others. Now, you can always be more rude to your own family (country) than those outside it, but the principle is the same. Again, an empty gesture by a "man" who knows he's on his way out the door.
(08-30-2016, 12:48 PM)GMDino Wrote: And they can feel that way.  I am not one for thinking that a flag or a song or a statue or anything is more important than the freedom they stand for.  

Want to burn a flag? Sit during the anthem? Not put your hand over your heart?  Good for you.

Want to do all those things?  Good for you too!

There are some people who think if you don't wear an American Flag pin while running for office you don't love America enough.  I find it all silly.

Totally agree.....still doesn't mean they're not either misguided or being a douche, in my eyes.  I just think of it as a way to pay homage to our veterans....especially when the color guard is present.

(08-30-2016, 12:50 PM)Bmoreblitz Wrote: I swore to defend and protect the constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic. NOT THE SSB

Thank you for serving....I get your gist, I just don't agree with it.  When they play the anthem, and you are in uniform, do you sit?

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Is anybody outraged over those people at sporting events who are sipping their beers, starting fights with opposing fans, talking, taking a leak, or hooting and hollering during the anthem? I know you've all seen it. Do any of you tell them to go find another country to live in? Or do we save our ridicule only for guys we think are scrubs that are taking a stand against something we don't agree with? It's more outrageous to me what the NFL was doing with taxpayer money in their involvement with the armed forces.... Who cares what Kaepernick is dong during the anthem?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(08-30-2016, 01:18 PM)jason Wrote: Is anybody outraged over those people at sporting events who are sipping their beers, starting fights with opposing fans, talking, taking a leak, or hooting and hollering during the anthem? I know you've all seen it. Do any of you tell them to go find another country to live in? Or do we save our ridicule only for guys we think are scrubs that are taking a stand against something we don't agree with? It's more outrageous to me what the NFL was doing with taxpayer money in their involvement with the armed forces.... Who cares what Kaepernick is dong during the anthem?

Yeah, those people piss me off too.....however, at least most of those are at least standing.  All of that said, it also has a lot to do with being a rather empty "protest" at the moment.   Now, if he backs it with some action, I'll gladly recant, however, I think he's just seeking attention, and doing that to get attention is deplorable to me.

I agree with what he's standing against, but I gotta ask Colin, what does this have to do with police departments and the bums in DC?  A lot of good folks of all creeds and walks of life died flying those colors......and they weren't politicians or LEOs.  At least get off your ass and act like you give a damn about them and their families son.......

(08-30-2016, 12:50 PM)Bmoreblitz Wrote: I swore to defend and protect the constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic. NOT THE SSB

Did you swear to follow the orders of Officers appointed over you in accordance with Regulations? Perhaps a Regulation such as Army Regulation 600-25.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(08-30-2016, 01:27 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Yeah, those people piss me off too.....however, at least most of those are at least standing.  All of that said, it also has a lot to do with being a rather empty "protest" at the moment.   Now, if he backs it with some action, I'll gladly recant, however, I think he's just seeking attention, and doing that to get attention is deplorable to me.

I agree with what he's standing against, but I gotta ask Colin, what does this have to do with police departments and the bums in DC?  A lot of good folks of all creeds and walks of life died flying those colors......and they weren't politicians or LEOs.  At least get off your ass and act like you give a damn about them and their families son.......

I personally don't agree with what he's doing. I jus find it interesting that certain topics like this evoke immediate reactions like "Oh yeah? Well your mom and dad are white." Or "Go live somewhere else if you don't think or act just like me". I didn't hear him denounce the military, veterans, police, or white people. People are applying their on sensibilities to what the anthem and the flag are.

Demanding unity, allegence to an icon, the military, and the nation as a whole is a cornerstone of fascism. That's what I don't like about all of this.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(08-30-2016, 01:48 PM)jason Wrote: I personally don't agree with what he's doing. I jus find it interesting that certain topics like this evoke immediate reactions like "Oh yeah? Well your mom and dad are white." Or "Go live somewhere else if you don't think or act just like me". I didn't hear him denounce the military, veterans, police, or white people. People are applying their on sensibilities to what the anthem and the flag are.

Demanding unity, allegence to an icon, the military, and the nation as a whole is a cornerstone of fascism. That's what I don't like about all of this.

Yeah, I get all of that, and by no means am I discouraging his right to do that. He denounced the government (directly....and I can CERTAINLY get behind that...although I have a litany of reasons to do so besides just one), and the police (indirectly).  I feel that you are hurting people who are not involved in your strife, more than a flippant government and their LEOs.  A lot of vets are upset over it, that's a fact. The flip of the coin is that I also have a right to call em as I see em, and I see him as a petulant doucher, upset with his current sitch on the depth chart moreso than any social activism. ThumbsUp

(08-30-2016, 01:55 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Yeah, I get all of that, and by no means am I discouraging his right to do that. He denounced the government (directly....and I can CERTAINLY get behind that...although I have a litany of reasons to do so besides just one), and the police (indirectly).  I feel that you are hurting people who are not involved in your strife, more than a flippant government and their LEOs.  A lot of vets are upset over it, that's a fact. The flip of the coin is that I also have a right to call em as I see em, and I see him as a petulant doucher, upset with his current sitch on the depth chart moreso than any social activism. ThumbsUp

He doesn't come off as overly educated or articulate on the subject, so that's not helping him either.

Vets are always gonna jump on stuff like this. Who can blame them? They are applying their life and sometimes loss of life experiences to the flag and anthem. I would expect a passionate response. That's the reason a person facing sex crime charges for instance, isn't judged by a jury of sex crime victims.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(08-30-2016, 02:09 PM)jason Wrote: He doesn't come off as overly educated or articulate on the subject, so that's not helping him either.

Vets are always gonna jump on stuff like this. Who can blame them? They are applying their life and sometimes loss of life experiences to the flag and anthem. I would expect a passionate response. That's the reason a person facing sex crime charges for instance, isn't judged by a jury of sex crime victims.

That's what I'm getting at, he's hurting people who have nothing to do with what he's upset about.  He could be a lot more constructive in his cause via different avenues, and not step on the toes of people who are not involved in his "vendetta" at all.  I'm sure Colin wants people to be PC in dealing with him, and them to respect him.  Well mister, respect is a two way street.

Jury analogy is spot on, btw.

Would all the people who are oh so outraged over this irrelevant football player's act of protest still be outraged if he were protesting the lack of government intervention in protecting police officers from violence rather than black people?

Is it the actions of the protest that piss people off, or the message behind them?
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

(08-30-2016, 03:52 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Would all the people who are oh so outraged over this irrelevant football player's act of protest still be outraged if he were protesting the lack of government intervention in protecting police officers from violence rather than black people?

Is it the actions of the protest that piss people off, or the message behind them?

No doubt there is a population upset over the message, but I think it is directed more toward the hypocisy of it. Just as if Aaron Rodgers came out and said he was not standing because he thinks not enough is being done to protect LEOs from being targeted by blacks.

(08-30-2016, 03:59 PM)bfine32 Wrote: No doubt there is a population upset over the message, but I think it is directed more toward the hypocisy of it. Just as if Aaron Rodgers came out and said he was not standing because he thinks not enough is being done to protect LEOs from being targeted by blacks.

I actually think that if Aaron Rodgers did that for those reasons, the same amount of people would be pissed.....it would just be the opposite people. 

I feel like a lot of the outrage about this is directly due to his comments about doing it in support of people of color.  It just doesn't matter what you do while saying you support injustice against blacks.  If Beyoncé sings a song about it, people are pissed.  If the Rams receivers raise their hands over their heads about it, people are pissed.  It's because a good segment of the population just want to keep the issue under wraps and ignore it.  Seeing it put out there pisses them off.  The problem should not be acknowledged, because in their eyes....there is no problem.

Note:  I am not saying that EVERYONE feels this way.  I'm sure there are a ton of good people out there that are legitimately upset because they think it's disrespectful to America and its servicemen. 
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

(08-30-2016, 04:14 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I actually think that if Aaron Rodgers did that for those reasons, the same amount of people would be pissed.....it would just be the opposite people. 

I feel like a lot of the outrage about this is directly due to his comments about doing it in support of people of color.  It just doesn't matter what you do while saying you support injustice against blacks.  If Beyoncé sings a song about it, people are pissed.  If the Rams receivers raise their hands over their heads about it, people are pissed.  It's because a good segment of the population just want to keep the issue under wraps and ignore it.  Seeing it put out there pisses them off.  The problem should not be acknowledged, because in their eyes....there is no problem.

Note:  I am not saying that EVERYONE feels this way.  I'm sure there are a ton of good people out there that are legitimately upset because they think it's disrespectful to America and its servicemen. 

That's where I am.  Plus, he isn't actively doing anything to effect real change.  He has a platform, and now plenty of exposure to do something positive here.  Let's hide and watch and see what he does.  Anyone interested in any wagers on it? Smirk

(08-30-2016, 04:14 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I actually think that if Aaron Rodgers did that for those reasons, the same amount of people would be pissed.....it would just be the opposite people. 

It is illegal to oppress anyone in this country.  The country has those laws in place.  Therefore, the flag and anthem are not to blame.

And it comes out of nowhere.  And it's such a vague declaration after it, explaining it.  And where does the attention go?  To The Sitter.  It can't go to his cause if he didn't really name one. 

He has money, fame, a giant platform.  This was the best he could come up with?  Like my dude W'sW said, let's see what happens next.
(08-30-2016, 04:14 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Note:  I am not saying that EVERYONE feels this way.  I'm sure there are a ton of good people out there that are legitimately upset because they think it's disrespectful to America and its servicemen. 

Yeah, to each his own.  I've always been pretty jaded about the whole thing because my father and one of my best pals are veterans and they always seemed more annoyed by people who are so up their own arses about being patriotic than they are about the people who are ho-hum about the importance of gestures that "show support."

This just seems to be one of those cases where the outrage is being expressed to make ourselves feel better.  I need to post on facebook what a cowardly, ISIS-looking bastard hypocrite Kapernick is lest people think I'm not patriotic.  I think Kapernick is a dolt, but I've also spent the last 15 years watching a good portion of the American populace fellate itself over how hard it stands up for the Pledge of Allegiance, or how hard it claps when the latest round of recruits is ready to head off to the middle east.

I'm biased though because the people I know who are the most outraged at Kapernick's slight of America are the same ones who spent the last 8 years talking about what a communist shithole this place has become.  Patriotic, eh?
Ever go to any game...football, baseball, soccer, etc...and watch how many people who are on the concourses do not stop when the national anthem is played? Or even take off their hats? This whole righteous indignation over a player's refusal to stand because it's "disrespectful" is hypocritical to say the least.
(08-30-2016, 08:47 PM)Beaker Wrote: Ever go to any game...football, baseball, soccer, etc...and watch how many people who are on the concourses do not stop when the national anthem is played? Or even take off their hats? This whole righteous indignation over a player's refusal to stand because it's "disrespectful" is hypocritical to say the least.

Yes, all those people are being disrespectful. And as I said not do it out of intent; however, CK fully intended to be disrespectful. He can say he didn't, others can say he didn't; however, his intent was to purposely not show respect to his flag and his Nation.

Hell maybe CK and others can learn something from the fastest man alive:

Usain had the right to continue that interview

(08-30-2016, 08:47 PM)Beaker Wrote: Ever go to any game...football, baseball, soccer, etc...and watch how many people who are on the concourses do not stop when the national anthem is played? Or even take off their hats? This whole righteous indignation over a player's refusal to stand because it's "disrespectful" is hypocritical to say the least.

Well, I think there is a sort of "velvet rope" style distinction in that case.  If you aren't in the same area where it is being played, the rules don't come into play.  Seriously, the concourse isn't IN the stadium, or in the seating area where the whole shebang is going down so it's like you aren't subject to it.  There are a bunch of odd rules our society has, I tells ya.

So do you stop when you hear the anthem, or if it is being performed, or the flag is there and it is official, or what?  If you are walking down the street and I play the anthem on my phone do you stop and salute it or is that distant enough from the concept to be ok?  I never thought about it much, but I DID work for a baseball team and you didn't stop your job if you were standing at a gate and serving the throngs trying to get into the stadium while the anthem was playing.  Maybe MLB just wants us to disrespect the troops?
(08-30-2016, 08:25 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Yeah, to each his own.  I've always been pretty jaded about the whole thing because my father and one of my best pals are veterans and they always seemed more annoyed by people who are so up their own arses about being patriotic than they are about the people who are ho-hum about the importance of gestures that "show support."

This just seems to be one of those cases where the outrage is being expressed to make ourselves feel better.  I need to post on facebook what a cowardly, ISIS-looking bastard hypocrite Kapernick is lest people think I'm not patriotic.  I think Kapernick is a dolt, but I've also spent the last 15 years watching a good portion of the American populace fellate itself over how hard it stands up for the Pledge of Allegiance, or how hard it claps when the latest round of recruits is ready to head off to the middle east.

I'm biased though because the people I know who are the most outraged at Kapernick's slight of America are the same ones who spent the last 8 years talking about what a communist shithole this place has become.  Patriotic, eh?

That ain't me homie.....a simple thank you suffices....or I'll buy you a drink but that's about it.  Those nut huggers are aggravating.

Beaker

I think that's shit too.....and talk about hypocritical, a man of Krapernicks means does nothing of any significance to further his cause.....except don a Castro shirt as a shining beacon to "freedoms", and get in front of cameras.  Big. Deal.  He's just another dumbass like the people you are referring to.